Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

122003-ibooks_collections.jpg

Apple today updated its iBooks application [App Store], adding a number of new features including enhanced support for illustrated books, a new "Collections" feature for organizing books into categories, and AirPrint compatibility for printing PDFs and notes.
- Experience fully illustrated books, from children's picture books to beautifully designed art books, available for download in the iBookstore.
- Organize your books and PDFs into personal Collections. Swipe left or right to jump between Collections.
- Print PDF documents and notes you've written in iBooks using AirPrint.
- iBooks now fits more words per page by automatically hyphenating text, available only on iOS 4.2 or later.
The focus on illustrated books had been pre-announced by The New York Times, which earlier today noted in an article on the ability for color readers to display enhanced image content in e-books that Apple would be rolling out a major push into illustrated books today with over 100 new titles in children's books, photography books, and cookbooks.

122003-ibooks_tron.jpg

Article Link: Apple Updates 'iBooks' With Illustrated Books, Collections, and AirPrint

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Steve Jobs: "Now, one more thing. Many of you wonder how Apple can manage to get more words on a page. Apple has done just that! And boy did we patented it! Let me introduce to you; The Hyphen. Simple. Effective. Apple. And in a few more months, we will become even more innovative in this regard. Smaller. Margins. Apple, redefining your experience, one innovation at a time."

"New from Apple. Pictures. In books."

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
That's good

That's good news. I wonder if the new books are still uploaded in the EPUB format? I've messed around with EPub files a little and my initial impression was that it is a very crappy format for illustrated books/magazines because they don't preserve your layout (I suppose because they want the text size to be editable).

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My nephews will like this. They already managed somehow to download a book without asking me first. Now they will be downloading a bunch of illustrated books like sponebob or something lol.

kenmarable

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
Collections??

Oh thank goodness!! This is absolute, positively, #1 missing thing in iBooks that's been bugging me.

Another reason to port my books from other apps over to iBooks.

Yay! :)

dingamahoo

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
Can you finally read a book with white type on a black background? Since it came out, that's the only thing I've wanted on ibooks and why I have to continue using Stanza. The white background is just too much in a dim or dark room!

Streethawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2010
Manchester, UK
I would rather it didnt hyphenate by itself, i hope we can turn this off. Always seen it as a way publishers save wasting paper and produce a book with less pages.

The Ton style of illustrated book looks good. I can only hope for LOTR illustrated edition :D

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
That's good news. I wonder if the new books are still uploaded in the EPUB format? I've messed around with EPub files a little and my initial impression was that it is a very crappy format for illustrated books/magazines because they don't preserve your layout (I suppose because they want the text size to be editable).

I'm with you. I wanted to make epub books for publishing applications data but it didn't support layouts. You had to use PDF. I'm still unclear on this. What is the advantage of epub over pdf?

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Yuck! What's with the new wood colour for the icon and shelves. Way too light. Looks cheap. Maybe they're trying to save money by going with a cheaper maple ... or they just want to match their tables in-store.

kenmarable

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
I'm with you. I wanted to make epub books for publishing applications data but it didn't support layouts. You had to use PDF. I'm still unclear on this. What is the advantage of epub over pdf?
When layout doesn't matter (novels being the clearest case of this) and you just need flowing text, EPub allows massive amounts of flexibility over PDF which is still fundamentally a format designed to be printed.

Epub easily allows font scaling, swapping, etc. But the trade-off is anything requiring specific layout is either a pain in the butt or impossible depending on the extent of the layout needs.

JoeCmis

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
How to do White on Black Text for night time reading

Check this page out for how to do white text on black background:

http://www.tipb.com/2010/12/15/tip-read-ibooks-white-black/

Because “White on Black” is considered a system-wide feature, so all we need to do is head into Settings.

•Open Settings
•Tap General
•Select Accessibility
•Switch “White on Black” to “ON”
•Exit settings, launch iBooks or Kindle, and enjoy!
Bonus tip: If you want to have white on black as a quick option then place it on your triple click home button.

•Settings
•General
•Accessibility
•Triple click home
•White on Black

Now you can switch it on and off as needed.

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Next new carrer for graphic designer... iBook developer.

Apple is going to take over the book industry and redifine everything as he did with the iPod and iPhone.

The good news for Apple is that books is a field Motorola, Nokia and the rest of the corporations do not care and Apple is the one who has the resources to take over that industry. Briliant.

sigma8

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
Hey Apple, I will still prefer Kindle books for as long as you fail to offer a high contrast "dark" color scheme (black background, light text).

Reading the iPad in the sun sucks because all you see is the world around you, but reading it in the dark sucks too because the "designed for well-lit areas" color scheme fries your retinas.

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2009
Wow, when I first saw the cutoff title on the homepage, I almost thought they were still updating the G4 iBook :eek:. Fail on my part lol

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
About time! This will make navigating my bookshelf so much easier. The illustrated book thing is a 'meh' to me, since I won't be using my iPhone to read anything other than text. It's cool for iPad users, though.

Now if only Apple would allow us to edit/create collections through iTunes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.