Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ml.sail1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Pittsburgh
So does anyone think that Apple may include a virtual laser keyboard in some "near" future update (2-3 yrs)????

virtual_keyboard.jpg

virtualkeyboard1ar7.jpg

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
iPad Keyboard

What would be the benefit over the on screen keyboard? A little bigger but still the problem of angle and lack of feedback.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Maybe after hell freezes over. Seriously that is like no bigger than the iPad keyboard, and even if you still used it, the iPad onscreen keyboard would still pop up, so you dont gain any screen real-estate.

And it'd be useless for me, who uses my iPad on the train/bus and in bed.

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
never, I don't like these laser beamer wannabe future interfaces, this is not the right direction.

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010
I dont know, I dont think thats such a bad idea if it could be improved.

Cibbersicks

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2010
Sorry, I'm failing to see why the iPad's keyboard is so inefficient that you would require such pseudo-sci-fi junk...

How the hell would I use that...

In bed?
On the toilet?
On the sofa?
On the bus?
On the train/station?
On a plane? (arguably the fold down table but where would the iPad go?)
Holding clip-board style in hands?

Thus basically rendering almost all the mobile functionalities of the iPad completely useless, unless sitting at a desk... Next to your iMac or PC which you'd most likely be wanting to use instead anyway.

Fail.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Sorry, I'm failing to see why the iPad's keyboard is so inefficient that you would require such pseudo-sci-fi junk...

How the hell would I use that...

In bed?
On the toilet?
On the sofa?
On the bus?
On the train/station?
On a plane? (arguably the fold down table but where would the iPad go?)
Holding clip-board style in hands?

Thus basically rendering almost all the mobile functionalities of the iPad completely useless, unless sitting at a desk... Next to your iMac or PC which you'd most likely be wanting to use instead anyway.

Fail.

This post wins the internet.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Those devices are "cool" but if you've ever priced them, you could get an arguably MORE portable fold-up bluetooth keyboard for cheaper, or the slightly-less portable but just as portable as the iPad Bluetooth Keyboard for Apple (or the various knockoffs popping up on the internets).

The thing is, while these things are "neat", apple is notorious for including basic product functionality and streamlining their products to perform particular functions and nothing else. That's why the iPhone doesn't have a projector, a pop-out stereo speaker, electric toenail clipper, or any other "gimmick" that alot of other handsets have.

It's the same reason why most iPod models have not had FM radio capabilities even though it became kind of an industry standard. An iPod is a digital media player, not a radio. You could obviously argue that it adds functionality without adding price, but it's really really hard to argue intelligently with Apple, because they have the number 1 of everything they sell (except for their PC's, which are #1 in satisfaction and support.)

Point is, their doing something right. I don't see them changing their long-time M-O to cater to a niche group. Not to mention Apple wants to shave ANY additional costs outside of superior functionality for the devices core purpose, their stuff is expensive but their mobile platform is very reasonable. They make the money on App and Accessory sales.

-John

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Could that be a beta version of XBox Kinect?

Believe it or not, that thing should work with the iPad whether it is USB (with CCK) or Bluetooth.
But thinking about all the space it requires to project it may make it impractical to use.
It may be better to carry a battery-less USB rollup keyboard, or one of those keyboards that are collapsible into the size of an average pocket wallet.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Since the keyboard is in the screen, anyway, wouldn't it be cool to be able to arrange it how ever you want it? You could perhaps speed up your typing if you could re-arrange the keys?

I know I would move the # key to the second screen instead of the third, because I use it so often.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Since the keyboard is in the screen, anyway, wouldn't it be cool to be able to arrange it how ever you want it? You could perhaps speed up your typing if you could re-arrange the keys?

I know I would move the # key to the second screen instead of the third, because I use it so often.

I agree it is silly not to allow developers to design alternate keyboard layouts.

My old Palm device, about 9 years ago allowed people to do this, and there were some great keyboard, far better then the official one.

I would like some number keys along the top, and just make the keys a little shorter so you could fit them it.

Again, this all boils down to Apple's way of doing things. And until a certain person is not around any more it will never change.
In the same way we can't change the default web browser, just almost because they deliberately want to make your life difficult if you do not use the one they think you should use.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
since the keyboard is in the screen, anyway, wouldn't it be cool to be able to arrange it how ever you want it? You could perhaps speed up your typing if you could re-arrange the keys?

I know i would move the # key to the second screen instead of the third, because i use it so often.

dvorak!!

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
I agree it is silly not to allow developers to design alternate keyboard layouts.

My old Palm device, about 9 years ago allowed people to do this, and there were some great keyboard, far better then the official one.

I would like some number keys along the top, and just make the keys a little shorter so you could fit them it.

Again, this all boils down to Apple's way of doing things. And until a certain person is not around any more it will never change.
In the same way we can't change the default web browser, just almost because they deliberately want to make your life difficult if you do not use the one they think you should use.

Or you have the option to look elsewhere if you do not like the way things are done. Just because someone has an idea does not make it a good one. Again, you are talking about the extreme margins that might want what you described. If you have not figured it out yet, Apple goes for the middle of the bell curve. Surely this is obvious by now.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Or you have the option to look elsewhere if you do not like the way things are done. Just because someone has an idea does not make it a good one. Again, you are talking about the extreme margins that might want what you described. If you have not figured it out yet, Apple goes for the middle of the bell curve. Surely this is obvious by now.

You genuinely think that's it's only the far out extreme people who would like numbers to be on the keyboard?

If people are 100% honest, I think you may find it's almost everyone who given the choice would like to have numbers on the keyboard like a real one.

You may be in awe of Apple, but not giving users a choice does not make them good.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
You genuinely think that's it's only the far out extreme people who would like numbers to be on the keyboard?

Yes I believe that, and I said extreme margin, not extreme people. You can extrapolate all you want but my meaning was clear. Being at the extreme margins does not make you extreme. It just makes your position not part of the mainstream.

If people are 100% honest, I think you may find it's almost everyone who given the choice would like to have numbers on the keyboard like a real one.

What people? You? Here you are speaking for everyone? I may be wrong but you can only speak for yourself. You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. I am speaking historically from Apple's design and marketing strategy. They make for the middle, not the margins. Anyone that has a clue about Apple knows this by now.

You may be in awe of Apple, but not giving users a choice does not make them good.

More hyperbole and FUD. Not once did I say or give the impression that I am in awe of Apple. I just happen to know their history, and philosophy. Too bad that you don't. Apple gives you choices. Three in fact. Like it and buy it or don't like it and buy it, or don't like it and don't buy it. Very simple.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Yes I believe that, and I said extreme margin, not extreme people. You can extrapolate all you want but my meaning was clear. Being at the extreme margins does not make you extreme. It just makes your position not part of the mainstream.

I honestly believe you must be living on the planet "AppleLove" and the brainwashing was a complete success.

How can you take a general keyboard layout that everyone has been used to using since the dawn of the typewriter, through the 8-bit computers, the 16 bit computers, Apple as well as everyone else.

Then remove some of the basic keys that people would be using again and again from the main display and say, yes. That's right. It's the way it should be done.

Why don't Apple make their real physical keyboards have less keys on as well, so you need to press another key to bring up the keys they want to use?

We all know it's about space on screen. And they decided that to get the keys to be the size they wanted them to be they would compromise and move the numbers to another screen and get rid of the cursor keys which many have complained about not having as it's a lot slower to use the finger/magnifying glass method.

I'm not saying the current method is not "ok" it is "ok" It's just that some people, no I take that back, MANY people would enjoy the option of 3rd party layouts.

Without question if it was allowed to install a 3rd party layout of keys then it would be one of the 1st things you recommend someone who just bought an iPad to go get. So they can have access the the majority of the keys they use in normal typing without having to flip layouts using another button to find the keys.

I'm not saying, Apple need change the standard layout. I'm just saying a lot of people would be very very happy to have the option of changing it to a more advanced layout with slightly, only slightly smaller keys, but more keys.

If this concept is so wrong, I don't know why when you bought a palm years ago, 3rd party keyboard layouts were so popular.

IMHO Apple does dig it's heels in just that bit too much. At times I feel they should make two products. One dumbed down simplified device with no user options, it just works and is fixed in stone, and another version where you can alter and change things to the way you would like.

But both types of people could love Apple products.

You don't have to love every single thing a company does.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
I honestly believe you must be living on the planet "AppleLove" and the brainwashing was a complete success.

How can you take a general keyboard layout that everyone has been used to using since the dawn of the typewriter, through the 8-bit computers, the 16 bit computers, Apple as well as everyone else.

Then remove some of the basic keys that people would be using again and again from the main display and say, yes. That's right. It's the way it should be done.

Another non-cogent argument laced with more obfuscation. Not to mention a bit of off-handed insult. Again, you can only speak for yourself. Other then this thread, and your typical whining and complaining about yet another perceived failure by Apple to address your specific needs. You constantly speak in generalities and for the people yet you fail to produce any hard evidence backing up your facts. You appear to be a constant complainer that has to find fault with every thing. Not to say that Apple is perfect. They are far from it but as I have pointed out and you have decided to cherry-pick around, Apple shoots for the middle of the target, not the fringes. The fact that they have created a market (iPad), and have dominated this market seems to prove that they have the correct strategy to please the most number of people. Again, they have proven that their strategy for producing only one phone model is the most profitable as they are in the position to actually purchase the worlds largest phone manufacture (Nokia) should they decide to do so.

Why don't Apple make their real physical keyboards have less keys on as well, so you need to press another key to bring up the keys they want to use?

We all know it's about space on screen. And they decided that to get the keys to be the size they wanted them to be they would compromise and move the numbers to another screen and get rid of the cursor keys which many have complained about not having as it's a lot slower to use the finger/magnifying glass method.

What?

I'm not saying the current method is not "ok" it is "ok" It's just that some people, no I take that back, MANY people would enjoy the option of 3rd party layouts.

Provide a link showing that MANY people as you once again speak for would love the option of 3rd party keyboards.

Without question if it was allowed to install a 3rd party layout of keys then it would be one of the 1st things you recommend someone who just bought an iPad to go get. So they can have access the the majority of the keys they use in normal typing without having to flip layouts using another button to find the keys.

I'm not saying, Apple need change the standard layout. I'm just saying a lot of people would be very very happy to have the option of changing it to a more advanced layout with slightly, only slightly smaller keys, but more keys.

Typical hyperbole and being the self-appointed spokesman for some unknown mass clamoring for 3rd party keyboards.

If this concept is so wrong, I don't know why when you bought a palm years ago, 3rd party keyboard layouts were so popular.

Dvorak was the only 3rd party keyboard that I can remember and where are they now?

IMHO Apple does dig it's heels in just that bit too much. At times I feel they should make two products. One dumbed down simplified device with no user options, it just works and is fixed in stone, and another version where you can alter and change things to the way you would like.

But both types of people could love Apple products.

You don't have to love every single thing a company does.

Again, you continue to show your lack of understanding about the way Apple works. If you do not like their products, you can:1. Send feedback via the Apple site, 2. Purchase something else. Either way constantly complaining is not going to solve anything especially when your complaints fall to the far end of the pool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.