Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
What would it take to be able to share your music via airplay with someone else who has an iPhone? Say you're at the gym working out, using your iPhone with your headphones, listening to music. Wouldn't it be cool to let your friend hear what you are listening to by sharing your music via airplay? I know this isn't possible today but is it conceivable? Would both phones need to be on the same wifi network for this to work or would the sharing occur via Bluetooth?

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
i doubt it's legal to do that, unless the other person has already paid for said music, so i can't see Apple implementing this...

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
i doubt it's legal to do that, unless the other person has already paid for said music, so i can't see Apple implementing this...

We're not talking about them TAKING the music here, we're talking about both people listening to the music. It wouldn't be any different than 2 people listening to the same music that one person bought on a cd or MP3 player.
But I agree that this isn't likely to be something high on Apple's list of priorities.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
What would it take to be able to share your music via airplay with someone else who has an iPhone? Say you're at the gym working out, using your iPhone with your headphones, listening to music. Wouldn't it be cool to let your friend hear what you are listening to by sharing your music via airplay? I know this isn't possible today but is it conceivable? Would both phones need to be on the same wifi network for this to work or would the sharing occur via Bluetooth?
I can definitely be done as long as you're on the same network. Unfortunately only the person who is receiving it can hear it currently and it requires a jailbroken phone. MacStories source.

There isn't any technical reason why Apple couldn't make the iDevices able to play music on the host device and the receiving device at the same time like you can on any Mac.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can do that right now. All you need is an jailbroken iDevice to be the receiver and a WiFi network to share it on.

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
We're not talking about them TAKING the music here, we're talking about both people listening to the music. It wouldn't be any different than 2 people listening to the same music that one person bought on a cd or MP3 player.
But I agree that this isn't likely to be something high on Apple's list of priorities.

i know its not, but if you look at the small print when you purchase music, i will quote a random cd case for example

CD said:
Unauthorised Copying, Hiring, Renting, Public Performance, and Broadcasting of this record is prohibited

and as i would consider Airplay as Broadcasting, at least in a sense of the word, i would think at the very least its a legal grey area, which i doubt apple would bother getting involved in...

on a side note - I was always under the impression though that it is technically prohibited for 2 or more people to listen to music that only one of them has paid for, but you may be right...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.