Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crashoran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
On my iPhone 3G, I stayed jailbroken at 3.1.3 and never updated to the latest version of Pandora. The sound quality on 3G was PERFECT and there weren't so many ads. I purchased an iPhone4 today, updated to iOS4.2, redownloaded my apps, and the sound quality of Pandora seems much poorer with tons of ads.

This is SUPER disappointing, as I always have Pandora playing through my car stereo while driving, and it was always near CD quality.

Please tell me there is a way to roll back to a previous Pandora version? :(

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
On my iPhone 3G, I stayed jailbroken at 3.1.3 and never updated to the latest version of Pandora. The sound quality on 3G was PERFECT and there weren't so many ads. I purchased an iPhone4 today, updated to iOS4.2, redownloaded my apps, and the sound quality of Pandora seems much poorer with tons of ads.

This is SUPER disappointing, as I always have Pandora playing through my car stereo while driving, and it was always near CD quality.

Please tell me there is a way to roll back to a previous Pandora version? :(

i used installous.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Pandora > Settings > Higher quality audio > On.

I personally don't think the ads are in the way but if you can't stand them and you're jailbroken on 4.2 then you can stop them from occurring (side affect is that you get unlimited skips). I'm pretty sure posting how is against the forum rules since it would circumvent their revenue stream. Google will help.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I would like to avoid jailbreaking. HQ audio is on.
Interesting. I find it's the same quality as on my Mac. Wait, are you a subscriber of Pandora One? It has higher quality audio and I don't think they stream that to phones.

If you aren't willing to jailbreak and you don't have the version you like still in iTunes then you're sunk.

crashoran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I think I found the previous version in my recycle bin. I dragged it into itunes and replaced it. It's 3.1.2

Next time I take a drive I will do a sound quality test :)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I think I found the previous version in my recycle bin. I dragged it into itunes and replaced it. It's 3.1.2

Next time I take a drive I will do a sound quality test :)
Wow, you are lucky.

I found this on the Pandora site:
Pandora mobile apps and in-home devices currently do not support High Quality 192Kbps streams, although we're very interested in expanding High Quality audio options at some point in the future.

crashoran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I don't know exactly which version I was using before I bought the iPhone 4, I'm assuming it was the one in the trash. Not sure what bitrate it streams at either. I could just tell the difference by ear, or maybe I am just OCD!

crashoran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Yup, sound quality is awesome again and there are less ads :D

PM me if you want the .ipa file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.