Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
Last night during a snow storm we lost power. My G4 tower was on at the time so naturally it was off when I woke up (apparently I slept through the alarm on the UPS). This morning it will not start. I opened it up and hit the reset button but that did no good.

Any ideas on how to get it started?

Thanks,

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Have you tried zapping the PRAM?

command-option-p-r
Zap PRAM. Hold down at least until second chime.

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
Blue Velvet said:
Have you tried zapping the PRAM?

command-option-p-r
Zap PRAM. Hold down at least until second chime.

Can't zap the PRAM, the computer won't even turn on. When I push the power button I get nothing. After re-reading my first post I realize I wasn't too clear on that.

Thanks,

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
jsw said:
Astoundingly dumb question, I know, but: is it getting power from the UPS now?

Yes it is, plugged into the UPS, UPS is functioning. Maybe I'll try plugging it directly into the wall...

P.S.: Not a dumb question

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Actually, that might help - not so much plugging it into the wall, as simply unplugging it, waiting, and plugging it back in. For whatever odd reason, that helped once with an older Mac of mine (not calling yours "older", just saying mine was).

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
jsw said:
Actually, that might help - not so much plugging it into the wall, as simply unplugging it, waiting, and plugging it back in. For whatever odd reason, that helped once with an older Mac of mine (not calling yours "older", just saying mine was).

Yup, that did the trick. I'm glad it was something simple but annoyed I didn't think of it myself :). And actually, this computer is the oldest one I have...

Thanks again,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.