Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnlo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
The last time I jailbreaked was when I had the 1st generation iTouch. yes i know its a LONG time. hahaha. when I purchased the iphone 3G, I didnt bother since I didnt really need to. But now I am because I want to use MyWi. well not having any luck doing it, hopefully someone can help me or know what's wrong and give me some tips and idea to try....

I have the iPhone 3G w/ 4.2.1 firmware. I want to Jailbreak my phone w/ Cydia installed. (not looking to unlock the iphone or installing the baseband...) Main reason for jailbreaking the iphone is to install MyWi. anyway, I followed the instruction from iClarified http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12949. I have tried over and over and over again, It would sit on this screen (below pic) for a long time.

44920.png

I tried again and again, and was still doing the same thing.. either at one blue bar, or two.. at one point, It was half way... My Iphone does have the HardDrive Pic with the word starting with... "Downloading...." (sorry forgot what the rest said).

I did restore my iphone as suggested and put all my stuf back into my iphone (from backup copy).

any help or tips will be deeply appreciated. TIA

johnlo

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You are not getting any errors or anything to actually give you any intelligent guess of what is going wrong. All i can tell you is do the "normal" step to clean up.

Try another machine,
Try Another USB cable
Try a different USB port
reboot the Computer, and the phone
Try removing the IPSW and re-downloading
Make sure you got the right IPSW for your phone (3G)
Make sure you got the lastest itunes
DFU restore of the phone, set as new (do not restore from backup)

johnlo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
You are not getting any errors or anything to actually give you any intelligent guess of what is going wrong. All i can tell you is do the "normal" step to clean up.

Try another machine,
Try Another USB cable
Try a different USB port
reboot the Computer, and the phone
Try removing the IPSW and re-downloading
Make sure you got the right IPSW for your phone (3G)
Make sure you got the lastest itunes
DFU restore of the phone, set as new (do not restore from backup)

Thx for responsing. no error messages at all. it just sit on that screen.. i will give wat you mention a try tonight. actually thought about doing what you said too, but it was getting late last night, didnt want to spend all night working on it.

when i was restoring from backup, it was in the begnining, before i executable the redsn0w application. and yes I did Run as Admin (using win7 64Bit).

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
I had the same problem yesterday, fixed when I restored as new and tried redsn0w again. Something in the data backup was breaking the jailbreak.

Also it redsn0w is up to beta 6 now which is not even mentioned on the dev team blog, the link to download in the middle of that wall of text mentions beta5 but you download and get 6 with the link. Can't hurt to have the latest.

No ice please

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2009
Don't restore from a backup, and also make sure just Cydia is going to install. I would always get errors when I would tick enable backgrounds, multi tasking, or battery percentage.

johnlo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Ah ok. thx guys. I wont restore the back-up, just create a new then. now after I jailbreaked, can i use the back-up? or better start fresh from the beginning?

johnlo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Don't restore from a backup, and also make sure just Cydia is going to install. I would always get errors when I would tick enable backgrounds, multi tasking, or battery percentage.

am only installing Cydia. not interested all the other feature. 3G model is slow enough.. dont need it any slower. thx!~!!!

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Can't do anything with that backup that I am aware of.

If you were synching your apps you do keep all your apps, just select them and they will be sent to the iphone again.

If you were synching contacts to outlook they just show back up too. I assume there is a Mac equivalent.

Doesn't take long to redo all your settings outside of that though, actually can be good with a fresh start once in a while.

johnlo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
ok. finally got it all jailbreak. the problem still continue after trying everything you all said. did a quick search after playing with my son and here's my result.

running redsn0w open up task manager set affinity and uncheck cpu 0, cpu 2, cpu 3. only checked of cpu 1

so for those that might have the same problem i do.. this is what i did.

i'm using win7 64 bit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.