Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:03 PM   #1
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
Why don't all songs sync?

I have noticed that all the songs in my iTunes library are not syncing to my iPhone, iPod Classic and iPad. For example, I have a Christmas playlist in iTunes that has 327 songs. Here is how the breakdown is for each device:

iTunes (Windows 7 laptop) 327 songs
iPod Classic (80GB-57GB free) 278 songs (49 songs missing)
iPhone 4 (32 GB, 19GB free) 325 songs (2 songs missing)
iPad (32GB, 12Gb Free) 325 songs (2 songs missing)
iPhone 3G (8GB 3Gb free) 320 songs (7 songs missing)

The example above is only for the Christmas playlist, but similar results are there for other playlists as well. I only have specific playlists synced with the iPhones and iPad where the entire music library should be on the iPod, yet that device has the greatest amount of missing songs. All devices were synced one right after the other in the order shown above.

As for the iPod, which is set to sync all music, the iTunes library on the PC shows that there is 3696 songs and the iPod only shows 3259 songs, which means there are 437 songs missing from the iPod. I don't get it.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:54 PM   #2
79 Handyside
macrumors newbie

I'll be interested to see what the answer is,because I have the same problem, and strangely enough it also involves Christmas music. Lots of space on my iPod and yet songs are missing.
79 Handyside is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:50 PM   #3
79 Handyside
macrumors newbie

Can this be the question that goes unanswered ?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:49 PM   #4
ascendedoshen
macrumors member

Are the songs unchecked?

Although I'm sure you have already looked at that
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:02 PM   #5
79 Handyside
macrumors newbie

No they are all checked. My iPod has lots of space for the music,but when I create a playlist of say 150 songs in i Tunes and then drag it into my i Pod only approximately 60 % of them will show up on my car radio display,and yet any other playlist will show 100 % of the songs. It's almost like Steve Jobs doesn't like seasonal music
Old Dec 20, 2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Consultant
macrumors G5

Let's see. 2 possibilities.

1. If you bought it,
- Contact vendor the support
- Reimport the cd

2. You stole the music, that's your own problem.

I have no problem syncing songs that I bought.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:10 AM   #7
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post

1. If you bought it,
- Reimport the cd

All the songs were purchased skippy, explain why they sync to the iPhone and the iPad, but not to the iPod? If you noticed in my original post the iPad and iPhone are missing 2 songs from the Christmas list, but on the iPod Classic the list is missing 49 songs.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:21 AM   #8
chezhoy
macrumors regular

My iPod Classic does that with movies imported to iTunes. It only syncs the ones I have purchased, not the ones that I have ripped with Handbrake.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:36 AM   #9
79 Handyside
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post

1. If you bought it,
- Reimport the cd

Explain why other playlists on my iPod play all the songs that are included,but yet a playlist of 100 Christmas songs does not ???
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:47 PM   #10
skinsey
macrumors newbie

Why don't all songs sync

All of a sudden I cannot sync any songs to my ipod. It syncs new audiobooks as I add them but won't sync a single song. I upgraded to 10.1.1 thinking that would help - it didn't. Have tried all sorts of suggestions found in other forums. Nothing works. Ideas?
skinsey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:00 PM   #11
besler3035
macrumors 6502

I'm guessing that it's in a format that your iPod doesn't like?
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:18 AM   #12
skinsey
macrumors newbie

Nothing has changed. These are songs that have been in my library for a while. Well - I went from Mac to Windows - I guess that is a change but why should that matter to Itunes? My Ipod has not changed. Does this mean all my songs are worthless? I paid for all of them! I must have 40 or 50 albums.
skinsey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:27 AM   #13
Dr McKay
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Perhaps you've moved some of the songs since putting them onto iTunes, and it can no longer find them? They'll still appear in your iTunes and you wont know until you try to play them.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 03:28 PM   #14
Cinematographer
macrumors 6502a

I hade the very same problem. Here's what I found out: I tagged some of the christmas songs as audiobooks. I did that a long time ago, so that they did not interfere with the rest of my music, and forgot about it. As soon as I changed that back to "music", the tracks synced without any problem.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:03 PM   #15
Darlyn
macrumors newbie

I've suddenly having this problem, too. Haven't synced in a few weeks, and now my new music isn't being synced and new apps aren't being transfered. I'm using 10.0.0.1.22 with a jailbroken 3G on 4.1.
Darlyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:39 PM   #16
Crp5
macrumors newbie

Same issue here but even more complex. I have the same base music collection on 3 mac's. MBA 13", MBA 11", iMac and have issues with sync to iPhone 4G, iPhone 3GS, Ipod Touch 3 gen x2.

Each unit has issues with missing songs (rarely the same song on any one device) from playlists but have the same song elsewhere in the device. Songs play from iTunes so they are there... I can sync multiple times and the missing songs grow / shrink randomly. 21 of 67 once sync, 26 of 67 on the next and 19 of 67 on the third.

It makes no sense!
Crp5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:25 PM   #17
Darlyn
macrumors newbie

Crp5, are all the devices jalbroken? Are they all on firmware 4.x? My theories as to what's causing these issues are as follows:
  • Apple is finally screwing with jailbroken devices (unlikely)
  • iTunes has a bug that only surfaces after a certain date, just like iOS had the alarm click issues after a certain date (possible, but still far-fetched)
  • Some jailbreak app has somehow corrupted the devices (possible)

Has anyone tried restoring? I'm thinking that would solve the problem, so maybe I'll do that myself and see what happens.
Darlyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:52 PM   #18
Crp5
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlyn View Post
Crp5, are all the devices jalbroken? Are they all on firmware 4.x? My theories as to what's causing these issues are as follows:
  • Apple is finally screwing with jailbroken devices (unlikely)
  • iTunes has a bug that only surfaces after a certain date, just like iOS had the alarm click issues after a certain date (possible, but still far-fetched)
  • Some jailbreak app has somehow corrupted the devices (possible)

Has anyone tried restoring? I'm thinking that would solve the problem, so maybe I'll do that myself and see what happens.
Devices have not been jailbroken....not bold enough to try that. And all musics has either been purchased from ITunes or ripped from my old CD collection.

I have been playing around with playlists this evening and found that if I only sync a single playlist I can get all songs on the iTouch. However if I sync several playlists, the counts drop 20-50%. Oddly enough, I have the same song on all three attempted playlists and the song made it to 2 of the 3 sync'd lists... Thought it had something to do with duplicates but that theory was shot to heck with my last try.

I'm begining to think that iTunes has a bug as this issue has been popping up on the web since December. I haven't created any "smart playlists" so can't comment on those.

BTW - restored Iphone and Itouch over the past week hoping that might help.

Last edited by Crp5; Jan 17, 2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:13 PM   #19
Seandon
macrumors newbie

AAC version

Have you tried right clicking on the songs that will not sync and creating AAC versions of the songs and then syncing...
Seandon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 08:01 PM   #20
Crp5
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seandon View Post
Have you tried right clicking on the songs that will not sync and creating AAC versions of the songs and then syncing...
That's the darndest thing...it isn't consistently the same songs. I have had a particular song show up on two of the three playlists. I have checked / unchecked the entire list and even created aac files hoping that would correct the issue. No luck.... Thinking this may be an issue with the latest ITunes update as i dont recall ever having this problem before I upgraded. To complicate matters I did go from. A windows machine to the MBA.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Crp5; Jan 21, 2011 at 07:20 AM.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod