Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
I looks pretty serious - I can't even get it to the apple logo. I just hear the disc spinning and I reset it and the disc spins down, then it spins up and I hear it seeking then a clunk and it stops and spins up again. I can't get it into any mode that will allow me to do a restore so I suspect it is the drive or the logic board. Since I like the iPod so much I'm tempted to spend money on a new drive but would like to hear other's opinions. I could also buy another one second hand and keep mine for parts since the case is perfect.

jacobf101

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
Try putting it into diagnostic mode . The same thing happened to my 5.5, and I did this, gave it the full check in diagnostic mode, then restored it, and it worked for another 2 years.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Try putting it into diagnostic mode . The same thing happened to my 5.5, and I did this, gave it the full check in diagnostic mode, then restored it, and it worked for another 2 years.

I can't even get it to boot to the Apple logo, let alone get into diagnostics mode. The drive spins up and then stops with a loud clunk, then starts spinning again. The best I can get is a blank white screen but never any text.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Update: It looks like it is the battery. Having left it overnight, I tried starting it today and it booted up and got to the iPod interface but the battery meter showed it was completely flat. It won't charge, or at least won't hold a charge so I'll give the cheapest option a go and buy a new battery.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Another followup to my own post - I've got it working again. I noticed if I left it a few days it would start but then die with a low battery so today, after leaving it for a week, I plugged into my charger and started it. The apple logo came up and then the normal menu and it started charging. I let it charge fully and it is now working. Pretty sure the battery is stuffed though since it will likely run flat very fast but it appears to be working fine otherwise so a new battery should be installed and it will be OK.

Update: Yep, played for 5 mins then died again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.