Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toro1966

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Hey guys,
I have been using handbrake for years though I wouldn't consider myself a power user. I don't much about the settings - just that it is a great program that works! I have been ripping all of my movies using handbrake so that I can have them all available on my Apple TV. It is one of the new Apple TVs. I have been using the "normal" setting and have copies about 150 movies so far. I still have them on an external drive and have not setup my library yet, so I haven't checked the quality. Everything I read said to use the "normal" setting. Do any of you see any issue with this? Or am I going to have problems because I didn't use the "Apple Tv" setting? Thanks for your time and have a great day!

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Hey guys,
I have been using handbrake for years though I wouldn't consider myself a power user. I don't much about the settings - just that it is a great program that works! I have been ripping all of my movies using handbrake so that I can have them all available on my Apple TV. It is one of the new Apple TVs. I have been using the "normal" setting and have copies about 150 movies so far. I still have them on an external drive and have not setup my library yet, so I haven't checked the quality. Everything I read said to use the "normal" setting. Do any of you see any issue with this? Or am I going to have problems because I didn't use the "Apple Tv" setting? Thanks for your time and have a great day!

mine are on an external hard drive, i added the movies to itunes. if you want to set up like that do this.

first go to preferences then advanced and uncheck copy files to itunes media folder. uncheck if you want to keep them on the external and not on the computers internal. then go to file and add to library and select your external. now all the movies should be added.

mine are ripped and converted in handbrake using both normal and high profile and they work fine. i think because they are being streamed it doesnt matter. if they were being held on the drive like in the apple tv 1 then they would have to be formatted for the apple tv.

handbrake is great. the only problem i have is that it heats my cpu to like 89 degrees Celsius. i dont like it being that hot but other than that its great.

toro1966

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Thanks! I just downloaded the latest build with the preset for ATV2 - I am going to try that and see how it comes out. My understanding is that the Normal and High Profile will work, but won't look as good as the higher quality ATV2 setting.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Thanks! I just downloaded the latest build with the preset for ATV2 - I am going to try that and see how it comes out. My understanding is that the Normal and High Profile will work, but won't look as good as the higher quality ATV2 setting.

would the atv 2 preset work through quicktime on your computer without playing through atv. if this is true i might just do this to all my movies.

toro1966

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
would the atv 2 preset work through quicktime on your computer without playing through atv. if this is true i might just do this to all my movies.

It should. Quicktime will play anything ATV2 will. So if they are encoded for ATV2 - they should work just fine.

pMad

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
When I converted using the ATV2 preset, those movies would work on ATV2, but not my iPod.

Therefore, I convert everything using the "universal" setting under Apple.

Plays on both the ATV2 and the iPod.

Looks good on my 55" TV.

Smighty24

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
When I converted using the ATV2 preset, those movies would work on ATV2, but not my iPod.

Therefore, I convert everything using the "universal" setting under Apple.

Plays on both the ATV2 and the iPod.

Looks good on my 55" TV.

do you know if it would work on a ipod nano?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.