Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seanosaurus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
Hello all!

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this, but does anyone have experience with creating keyboard shortcuts? I would like to edit my o , u , and a keys to create ö , ü , and ä (alt + u = ü, alt + o = ö, etc...) Is this possible? It's a bit annoying switching between the different keyboards when I would like to make an umlaut. :p

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
You can use Ukelele to create custom keyboard layouts. I've made just what you want a few years ago for myself. I've attached the file. Put it in /Users/your username/Library/Keyboard Layouts/

Attachments

• U.S. Umlaut.keylayout.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 179

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You can use Option-u followed by the letter, eg. Option-u followed by o returns ö. This may or may not be acceptable depending on how often you type them :)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
You can use Option-u followed by the letter, eg. Option-u followed by o returns ö. This may or may not be acceptable depending on how often you type them :)

This has always worked fine for me with all of the standard French accents writing quite extensively in French.

Seanosaurus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
You can use Ukelele to create custom keyboard layouts. I've made just what you want a few years ago for myself. I've attached the file. Put it in /Users/your username/Library/Keyboard Layouts/

Is that it? Just put it in the directory and restart/reboot? I did that and I'm having no luck. >_<

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.