Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Heady
macrumors newbie

Theming/Skins?

One of my greatest hopes for Lion is a full support for theming/skins. (Wishful thinking, I know)
If Steve decides to sanction *any* theming at all, how far do you think it would go? Full UI overhaul? Changed menu bar color?
Thoughts?
Heady is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Historically Apple hasn't enabled skinning or theming in OS X, beyond changing some colors and your desktop photo. I imagine they'll continue that trend.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:34 PM   #3
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Plus you can replace any icon you like.

p.s. I never understood skinning/theme thing.
I mean someone good enough to put together a non-crap Theme should be far to busy making buckets of money in a software development company

Last edited by MattInOz; Dec 20, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
MattInOz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Mal
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackilroy View Post
Historically Apple hasn't enabled skinning or theming in OS X, beyond changing some colors and your desktop photo. I imagine they'll continue that trend.
This is what I expect as well. If they implement any sort of theming, expect it to be a simple flip between two possibilities, light and dark or something along those lines. Not full customization (look at how they do the Aqua or Graphite "themes" for the buttons and scroll bars now).

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Azoox
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Azoox Send a message via Skype™ to Azoox
I would actually like to see themes and skins. I never understood why that should be so big of a deal. As much as gray is a useful color when I deal with photography, it becomes boring and I'd like to be able to have a bit more to choose from than blue and graphite. In this sense, Windows makes life a lot easier.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:58 AM   #6
Mal
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azoox View Post
I would actually like to see themes and skins. I never understood why that should be so big of a deal. As much as gray is a useful color when I deal with photography, it becomes boring and I'd like to be able to have a bit more to choose from than blue and graphite. In this sense, Windows makes life a lot easier.
You do realize your post (or rather, the color, font, and size you chose) is a wonderful example of why choice isn't always a good thing. Try posting in a more readable font in the future please, for all our sakes.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:39 AM   #7
lewis82
macrumors 68000

Thumb resize.

That's why it's not coming to OS X
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Joewebster
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis82 View Post
Thumb resize.

That's why it's not coming to OS X
That's an example of going overboard. Although, to whoever made that skin, maybe they liked the way it looks. If anything more choice would bring more customers to Apple. People like customization, it makes them feel special
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:01 PM   #9
chrismacguy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewebster View Post
That's an example of going overboard. Although, to whoever made that skin, maybe they liked the way it looks. If anything more choice would bring more customers to Apple. People like customization, it makes them feel special
I hope to god apple never. ever. ever. allows theming. All the themes for Windows look ugly, including the standard ones.... Im sorry, but if you let the Mac be themed, you end up with ugly inelegant desktops - and apple is all about beauty, simplicity and elegance. Not about user customization.
chrismacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Joewebster
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismacguy View Post
I hope to god apple never. ever. ever. allows theming. All the themes for Windows look ugly, including the standard ones.... Im sorry, but if you let the Mac be themed, you end up with ugly inelegant desktops - and apple is all about beauty, simplicity and elegance. Not about user customization.
I'll agree with you that most windows themes are ugly, but I'd say at least one in ten themes is simply gorgeous. Have you ever seen the rainmeter project?

Also, just because there is optional theming, doesn't mean you have to partake in it. Customization is a great thing, and you'll see a lot of great contributions. Although you may have to weed through a bunch of crappy ones.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion