Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andras5soul

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
NY
I'm a mockup fiend, but SUCK at photoshop! Its always so exciting to see what people think up when they put together mockups of new Apple products. Part of me likes to think that they even make slight changes and modifications, or even get full ideas, from mockups in forums! I know, long shot, but who knows.

Anyone want to start mocking up?!?!

Apple made it clear that the new Air is the future of laptops. They also made it clear that optical drives are done with; hence the Mac App Store. So here is what I want to SEE in the next MBP, keeping Apple's business models in mind of course.

-Get rid of black frame around screen! Does not look professional, in my opinion does not look good at all.
-Gloss is fine (and necessary to sell to many consumers), but not THAT much gloss.
-No optical drive
-Thinner body
-I personally prefer the old MBP keyboard over the new one used in all MBs, but I understand the hardware advantages so they probably wouldn't go back.
-Anything fun you might want to add!
-I'm hoping its a brand new design, not just a rework of the current one.
-More USB
-HDMI (fingers crossed)

Anybody want to put something together?

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
I understand your enthusiasm for new ideas. Have you started a new mock-up?

I would like to see a merge of the iPad and the Macbook Pro. A Macbook pro 13 inch like mac, but with detachable screen! It’s the new, larger iPad. I would name it the Touchbook Pro.

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto
too lazy to do a mock up but i want a rear facing camera as well as the front. i have no clue if it will ever be useful but heck i want it.

LinkMx

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Mockup of the next MBP:

macbook-pro11.jpg

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2009
Thinner wouldn't be a bad idea, given that I actually hardly use my optical drive and with AirPlay I can just stream media to my (soon to have) Apple TV. But still, it doesn't have to be super thin. I still wanna get a dedicated graphics card (I'm making a MBP purchase in about 6 months), Core i5 or Core i7 processor that will not have to throttle itself immensely, long lasting battery (more room thanks to no optical drive), and a backlit keyboard.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Andras5soul said:
-Get rid of black frame around screen! Does not look professional, in my opinion does not look good at all.
You obviously aren't a designer, and know nothing about design at all.
Andras5soul said:
-Gloss is fine (and necessary to sell to many consumers), but not THAT much gloss.
Okay, can't argue there.
Andras5soul said:
-No optical drive
What is the point...really? Apparently you don't rip DVDs...
Andras5soul said:
-Thinner body
Thinner body = less power. Just go buy an air why dontcha?
Andras5soul said:
-I personally prefer the old MBP keyboard over the new one used in all MBs, but I understand the hardware advantages so they probably wouldn't go back.
They DEFINITELY won't go back. The new chicklet keyboards are more "modern" looking, which is a huge design aspect to Apple. The old keyboard is definitely more effecient, but look is huge to Apple...
Andras5soul said:
FINGERS CROSSED!
Andras5soul said:
-More USB
Mine has 3...how many do you need? Buy a dock that more USB ports...problem solved...
Andras5soul said:
-HDMI (fingers crossed)
HIGHLY DOUBT IT. Would be nice though? I'm perfectly happy with my DVI output though.

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
They DEFINITELY won't go back. The new chicklet keyboards are more "modern" looking, which is a huge design aspect to Apple. The old keyboard is definitely more effecient, but look is huge to Apple...

The new keyboards are not about looks. They're just cheaper to produce. They have less moving parts and are only moulded, not moulded and then painted like the older keyboards. We lost the tactile feedback and end up with shiny keys from use (not good looks if you ask me). The classic keyboard would be great, I'd gladly pay more for a MBP with a superb keyboard.

I'd like the optical drive to be removed and SSD chips integrated into the motherboard (or in the MBA form factor). They're changes that won't impact performance negatively so it is still a MBP, just lighter and thinner.

Perhaps the option to plug in the USB optical drive to an Airport base station would be good. You could access it wirelessly, there's enough bandwidth to read and write DVDs.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
too lazy to do a mock up but i want a rear facing camera as well as the front. i have no clue if it will ever be useful but heck i want it.

lol no offense but sounds really creepy. imagine yourself at the airport waiting for a flight and a woman sits across from you and she is reallly reallly sexy. the poor thing wont realize that she has a photo shoot going on ...

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I doubt that they are going to change the design a lot. Maybe a few differences here and there, but nothing major in my opinion.

MisterFeeney

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
San Francisco
lol no offense but sounds really creepy. imagine yourself at the airport waiting for a flight and a woman sits across from you and she is reallly reallly sexy. the poor thing wont realize that she has a photo shoot going on ...

I agree. I really feel it would only be used for candid shots and I'm not sure that would really be a good thing. :)

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto

lmao i actually never thought of that.

now that i think of it 2 cameras would be pointless other then stalking people. :p

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I'm a mockup fiend, but SUCK at photoshop! Its always so exciting to see what people think up when they put together mockups of new Apple products. Part of me likes to think that they even make slight changes and modifications, or even get full ideas, from mockups in forums! I know, long shot, but who knows.

Apple made it clear that the new Air is the future of laptops. They also made it clear that optical drives are done with; hence the Mac App Store. So here is what I want to SEE in the next MBP, keeping Apple's business models in mind of course.

-No optical drive
-Thinner body
-More USB
-HDMI (fingers crossed)

I'm glad that you aren't in charge of design at Apple. There is a reason it's called "Pro". Most of the changes you are suggesting would suck for people who actually get work done on the Macbook Pro. I don't know why so many of you want to turn the MBP into the Air! If you want those features, just go buy one. If anything, I hope they release a more robust feature set even if it makes the laptop bigger and heavier. There are a lot of professionals who would love to have more power in the field, even if they sacrifice some weight advantages. And as for getting rid of the Superdrive... no way. I need mine in case I'm at a clients office and need to burn some files for him. What am I supposed to do, lend him my flash drive? I hate how some of you consumers are trying turn the Macbook Pro into a generic consumer machine. You have the MacBooks and the Air, leave the Pro versions alone!

As a side note, I would love to see a Blue Ray drive added to the MBP. Not so I can watch movies, but to be able to burn large files while on the road.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
In my specialized little world I would like to see the new MBP have no optical, options for a 2nd HDD or SSD. 2 1394 800 ports, USB 3.0, and a thinner bezel on the lcd. Seriously if you look at most other notebooks that compete with the MBP they have much thinner bezels.
I could seriously do without the SD card reader in favor of another USB jack or 1394 jack!
Oh yeah, and if they could please put a slightly more ergo curve on the front of the laptop!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
To be completely honest, what I would like to see with the new MacBook Pro, is the older non-unibody MacBook Pro design brought back. In my opinion it looks a lot more classy and back then we didn't have to pay extra for the matte screen.

seisend

Suspended
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
To be completely honest, what I would like to see with the new MacBook Pro, is the older non-unibody MacBook Pro design brought back. In my opinion it looks a lot more classy and back then we didn't have to pay extra for the matte screen.

word.

I love the grey finish. Black is too much Windows computer like.

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
You obviously aren't a designer, and know nothing about design at all.

Okay, can't argue there.

What is the point...really? Apparently you don't rip DVDs...
Thinner body = less power. Just go buy an air why dontcha?
FINGERS CROSSED!
Mine has 3...how many do you need? Buy a dock that more USB ports...problem solved...
HIGHLY DOUBT IT. Would be nice though? I'm perfectly happy with my DVI output though.

Sounds about right to me :p

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010

Not like it really matters, all one would have to do is pull out their iphone 4 to do the same thing...rolls eyes.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010

-No optical drive
-Thinner body
-More USB
-HDMI (fingers crossed)

No Optical drive is not happening. A person can just go out and get MBA then.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
The new keyboards are not about looks. They're just cheaper to produce. They have less moving parts and are only moulded, not moulded and then painted like the older keyboards. We lost the tactile feedback and end up with shiny keys from use (not good looks if you ask me). The classic keyboard would be great, I'd gladly pay more for a MBP with a superb keyboard.

I'd like the optical drive to be removed and SSD chips integrated into the motherboard (or in the MBA form factor). They're changes that won't impact performance negatively so it is still a MBP, just lighter and thinner.

Perhaps the option to plug in the USB optical drive to an Airport base station would be good. You could access it wirelessly, there's enough bandwidth to read and write DVDs.

Fail fail fail..... The old keyboard IMO was utter crap, I hated it, the new one is MUUUCCCCHHHHHHH better and useable.

SSD integrated onto the MB!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Do you have intelligence? If Apple did that then kiss goodbye to ANY chance of changing the drives for bigger ones, wow a thinner laptop at the cost of paying Apple prices for SSD you can never upgrade!!!!! And NO you CANNOT upgrade the Air's SSD... and they are also not as good performance wise as the likes of Intel or OCZ etc drives.

And no chance Apple would bother to develop a superdrive you can connect into an Airport, why? what is the point? most likely say 100 people would buy it tops.

Just how thin do people actually want a laptop to be? You do all realise that by law's of physics if you have a thinner laptop, you HAVE to use lower powered components so it doesn't melt?
In the REAL world people actually expect a DVD drive to be, you know, in the chassis of there 12, 13, 15, 17, 19"..... laptops. Who'd have thought eh? :rolleyes:

I should also add that the refresh will not result in a totally new design as the ONLY rumour about the chassis has stated a 'small' change, not a total redesign.

Last edited:

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I should also add that the refresh will not result in a totally new design as the ONLY rumour about the chassis has stated a 'small' change, not a total redesign.

I hope they don't make it "wedge" shaped. I like the current beveled brick design they have now.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I'm glad that you aren't in charge of design at Apple. There is a reason it's called "Pro". Most of the changes you are suggesting would suck for people who actually get work done on the Macbook Pro. I don't know why so many of you want to turn the MBP into the Air! If you want those features, just go buy one. If anything, I hope they release a more robust feature set even if it makes the laptop bigger and heavier. There are a lot of professionals who would love to have more power in the field, even if they sacrifice some weight advantages. And as for getting rid of the Superdrive... no way. I need mine in case I'm at a clients office and need to burn some files for him. What am I supposed to do, lend him my flash drive? I hate how some of you consumers are trying turn the Macbook Pro into a generic consumer machine. You have the MacBooks and the Air, leave the Pro versions alone! As a side note, I would love to see a Blue Ray drive added to the MBP. Not so I can watch movies, but to be able to burn large files while on the road.

Real work. Ha. Real work has very very little with burning the odd cd/dvd.

Your clients don't have a spare HDD in their office? Their own computer? an Internet connection?

Let me guess, you're 50+ years of age, stuck in your ways and have little or no imagination. You prob still ride a horse to work too.

Camon man. Wake up. Drag your a** out of the 90s...

There's a world of possibility to be explored once that obsolete (yes, obsolete) ODD is cut out like the cancerous tumor that it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.