Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VoidSlaad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Okay, I have a feeling this is probably due to insufficient RAM or overheating, but some input would be nice. My iMac has a 60GB HDD, 256MB PC133 module, 700MHz G3 CPU. It is currently running MacOS X 10.3.9. When I am in Safari, it seems that if I visit some sites (heavy data ones), Safari seems to "unexpectedly quit." :mad: When running SNES9X emulator, I can play for a while, then the iMac freezes or tells me to restart it:mad:... Any suggestions? :confused:

occams razor

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Salem, OR
If i remember right didn't those iMacs have a fan? I would heck to see if the fan still works. If it does I would reinstall osx cause it sounds like courpted files

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
G3 iMacs don't have a fan. My guess is it doesn't have enough ram. Try maxing it out at 1Gb. It should be much happier.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
i have similar imac 600 256mb ram 40 gig harddrive...but i run osx tiger 10.4.11.........safari never crashes on me...and other snes cant say...

-i find tiger runs better then panther (any chance you could get hold of?)
-camino is best browser for these old imacs,then get lastest flash

have you tryed running Disk utility and run 'Repair disk Permissions' and 'repair disk'?

VoidSlaad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
The inside is not dirty as I have disassembled the computer, washed and tried to buff out the casing, scrubbed rust spots out...pretty much gave it a detailing. I am quite certain the HDD is fine because I had initially gutted the iMac and was going to sell the parts that I was not using...I installed the HDD into my wintel box, put WinXPProSP3 on it, and worked beautifully...On a side note, I did not know that there was a LED built into the underside of the HDD. When I looked down one day at my PC tower and saw this greenish light shining forth from the case, I was like "what the hell is that?" Something else I find amusing...although the iMac is considerably lower tech than my desktop, even with the iMac's USB 1.1 bus (I am using a Linksys WUSB600N USB adapter), I have a stabler WiFi connection with it than my PC with the same adapter. I am frequently losing signal with my wintel box...is that not something?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I remember from my iMac G3 that it was recommended to only use HDs of 5400rpm. Any faster and they could overheat. What speed is your HD unit?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I remember from my iMac G3 that it was recommended to only use HDs of 5400rpm. Any faster and they could overheat. What speed is your HD unit?
Back in 2000 or 2001 that may have been the case, but drives today are much cooler than they used to be. Even a 7200rpm drive from now is going to run considerably cooler than a 5400rpm drive from nearly a decade ago. First thing I would do is re-install Mac OS if its been some time since that was last done. Also, run Tech Tool on it to verify the components, or do a google search for Mac Test Pro G3 and see if you can find it. It will run low level tests on all the components to track down any problems. Runs under Mac OS 9 though.

occams razor

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Salem, OR
My snow had a 7200 in it and I never ha heat issues. I would verify and repair disk permissions. I would also see if their are any upgrades for programs or system updates and install them

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
I swear my 600mhz g3 snow had a fan. I know the lower MHz iMacs didn't have fans but I thought the higher MHz ones did

no certainly not i have a 600 and a 700 mhz one and neither has anything like a fan , all but the original iMac g3 tray loader(the only with fan) had been convection cooled
and mine never overheat , but for panther and tiger its recommedned to use at least 512mb ram , and safari is not the best browser anyway
i use camino , but if you want to watch youtube videos (not fullscreen ) then try out tenfourfox browser its amazing , it will manage videos up to 240p
(yes thats is perfectly watchable )without any stutter or lag on my 700mhz iMac G3 with 768mb ram 7200rpm hdd and even on my iMac g3 600mhz its watchable with only 384mb ram , both running tiger

Last edited:

VoidSlaad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
I have uninstalled the emulator...I have a hunch that it was just a poorly supported version because I ran a game (Darius 3?) for quite a while, but then I switched ROMs to play MegaMan7, which ran for a bit and then crashed my machine. I have uninstalled a bunch of useless (to me) programs and repaired permissions and everything seems to be running okay...sort of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.