Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:12 AM   #1
jimmyjam14
macrumors newbie

Angry illuminated backlight keyboard suddenly not working!

hi guys,

so ive got the latest macbook pro 15 inch model, and the keyboard lighting has been working fine until today. It's 2 am, im in a completely dark room, and my keyboard just wont light up, i cant control the lighting manually with the native mac keyboard shortcuts (F5 and F6) either as i just receive the same pop up with a circle with a dash across it, giving me no control. i checked my system preferences and everything's set to allow automatic keyboard illumination.

now ive also downloaded and installed the popular lab tick app which allows me to manually control the lighting. interestingly enough, that app works for me, and i can control the lighting through only that app, but the keyboard shortcuts are still dead, and the mac itself is still incapable of automatically initiating illumination.

ALSO, my iSight cam isnt working either as skype isnt allowing me to video chat and photo booth is showing me a "no camera is connected" message, all with no green light next to the camera. And i know the macbook light sensor is located to the left of the iSight. i wonder if the 2 issues are related...

wat's happening to my mac? wat can i do to fix it?
ive done nothing special prior to this unfortunate discovery =(

thanks for hearing me out

Last edited by jimmyjam14; Dec 20, 2010 at 11:41 AM.
jimmyjam14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Merzie
macrumors member

I'm having a similar issue on my mid-09, but my issue started after I swapped enclosures while keeping the original working keyboard assembly.Must of torn one of the hair-thin led wires.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:51 PM   #3
wikus
Banned

I'm having a similar issue in my 15" Macbook Pro 2011 2.3ghz w/ ATI 6750M.

Camera works fine. But pressing the illuminated keys on the keyboard pops up an onscreen display icon that shows the illuminated keyboard is off.

I have an optibay caddy installed, not sure if that matters....??
wikus is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro