Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
but only if you use the wet install. Ok, I know there will be many that disagree but I have to give my impression.

First of all, I have used the following either on my 3gs or the 4:

Clear Coat-One of the best if you do not want to install yourself. I originally went this route and the guys at the mall kiosk are the best. I still have my skin saved because I have a lifetime warranty. This is a bit more expensive but the installation and warranty make it awesome if you have a kiosk nearby. Orange peel is very good but still there.

Stealth Guards-Got a few of the free ones and they are worth the money....Cutouts aren't the best but for only shipping charges they are good protectors for the back of the phone. I would not use one on the front.

BodyGuardz-2nd best on Orange Peel only to the Wrapsol Ultra. You get 2 shields and that makes it worth the price. Good cut outs and easy install.

PhantomSkinz-Very good for the money as well. 2 for 1 makes this a great product. Orange peel is just average. The matte back is the star here.

BSE-Again good for the money. Average overall but for the price a great alternative.

Wrapsol Original-I love the matte back on this skin but it peeled off too easily for me. The area around the camera lens was too pliable. I have contacted Wrapsol and they will replace. The front is very good with orange peel but not as good as the Ultra.

Ok, now for the Ultra. I originally purchased one of these from Wal-mart for $19.99. I tried the dry install method and completely failed. It just is not a good way to install this skin. It stretches too much and does not give a good fit. Too easy to get dust and fingerprints. I then came on here and read the 51 page thread and had to agree with most people that were very aggravated. So I decided to get a warranty replacement from Wrapsol but get the Original in return. I submitted my claim and Wrapsol accidentally sent me another Ultra. I contacted them again and they were kind enough to send out the Original and allow me to keep the Ultra they shipped. I finally got the Original and applied it. I loved the skin but had the issues I stated above. After only a few days the area around the camera cutout began to release and got lint under it.

On the big thread, some folks were using the wet install method with the Ultra. I thought I would try this while I waited on the Original replacement. I could just install the back and keep my front. I got the bathroom all steamy and did the install. I aligned the camera cutout and placed the shield using the Wrapsol solution from the Original kit. The bottom was a bit short. Wrapsol told me they did this because the dry install method does allow for stretching. I got most of the solution out and the shield was on pretty good. Then I used my fingers and stretched the bottom to fit. Within about 3 hours the shield was dry with no bubbles or issues.

The Ultra really surprised me. It was clearer than the Original. It also was very smooth and slick feeling. I really liked it better than the Original. It was at this point I decided to put the front and the sides on as well. The front went on fairly easily as well. I started at the bottom and aligned the Home button first. I had to stretch the top a bit to get the earpiece centered. You could go either way but I like my Home button to be perfect. I ended up getting the earpiece perfect as well. The sides were easy to get on with solution.

I did this install on Saturday which is now 2 full days ago. I have let the skin settle during this time without any major usage. Three things jump out at me. First there is no orange peel. No matter how you look at this thing in the light you cannot find it. The second thing is because of the orange peel effect being non-existant, the clarity of the shield is second to none. I have 2 other phones here. One has a Power Support Crystal and the other is naked. If you focus only on the touch area, you cannot tell which one is which. Finally the last thing I like is the feel. This shield is very smooth and slick. It is not like other shields which offer too much resistance. I liken the feel to the Power Support HDAG. It is almost that smooth. Much smoother than any other shield or static protector.

So this is where my story ends. If you are in the market for a shield, I suggest you try the Ultra. Get it from Wal-mart. $19.99 is hard to beat. Use the wet install method and you will be happy. If not, peel it off and take it back to the store or get a warranty replacement. Take your time though and do it right and you will be rewarded with the best in protection, clarity and feel.

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Here are a few pics to support the thread.

Attachments

• DSCN1861.JPG
    DSCN1861.JPG
    640 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCN1862.JPG
    DSCN1862.JPG
    684.1 KB · Views: 240
  • DSCN1863.JPG
    DSCN1863.JPG
    697.6 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCN1864.JPG
    DSCN1864.JPG
    727 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCN1865.JPG
    DSCN1865.JPG
    667.8 KB · Views: 246

buffgrk

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2010
I have the wrapsol ultra dry kit I can say it's way more effective then a wet install loils great and is way better then invisible shield I had before

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
but only if you use the wet install. Ok, I know there will be many that disagree but I have to give my impression.

First of all, I have used the following either on my 3gs or the 4:

Clear Coat-One of the best if you do not want to install yourself. I originally went this route and the guys at the mall kiosk are the best. I still have my skin saved because I have a lifetime warranty. This is a bit more expensive but the installation and warranty make it awesome if you have a kiosk nearby. Orange peel is very good but still there.

Stealth Guards-Got a few of the free ones and they are worth the money....Cutouts aren't the best but for only shipping charges they are good protectors for the back of the phone. I would not use one on the front.

BodyGuardz-2nd best on Orange Peel only to the Wrapsol Ultra. You get 2 shields and that makes it worth the price. Good cut outs and easy install.

PhantomSkinz-Very good for the money as well. 2 for 1 makes this a great product. Orange peel is just average. The matte back is the star here.

BSE-Again good for the money. Average overall but for the price a great alternative.

Wrapsol Original-I love the matte back on this skin but it peeled off too easily for me. The area around the camera lens was too pliable. I have contacted Wrapsol and they will replace. The front is very good with orange peel but not as good as the Ultra.

Ok, now for the Ultra. I originally purchased one of these from Wal-mart for $19.99. I tried the dry install method and completely failed. It just is not a good way to install this skin. It stretches too much and does not give a good fit. Too easy to get dust and fingerprints. I then came on here and read the 51 page thread and had to agree with most people that were very aggravated. So I decided to get a warranty replacement from Wrapsol but get the Original in return. I submitted my claim and Wrapsol accidentally sent me another Ultra. I contacted them again and they were kind enough to send out the Original and allow me to keep the Ultra they shipped. I finally got the Original and applied it. I loved the skin but had the issues I stated above. After only a few days the area around the camera cutout began to release and got lint under it.

On the big thread, some folks were using the wet install method with the Ultra. I thought I would try this while I waited on the Original replacement. I could just install the back and keep my front. I got the bathroom all steamy and did the install. I aligned the camera cutout and placed the shield using the Wrapsol solution from the Original kit. The bottom was a bit short. Wrapsol told me they did this because the dry install method does allow for stretching. I got most of the solution out and the shield was on pretty good. Then I used my fingers and stretched the bottom to fit. Within about 3 hours the shield was dry with no bubbles or issues.

The Ultra really surprised me. It was clearer than the Original. It also was very smooth and slick feeling. I really liked it better than the Original. It was at this point I decided to put the front and the sides on as well. The front went on fairly easily as well. I started at the bottom and aligned the Home button first. I had to stretch the top a bit to get the earpiece centered. You could go either way but I like my Home button to be perfect. I ended up getting the earpiece perfect as well. The sides were easy to get on with solution.

I did this install on Saturday which is now 2 full days ago. I have let the skin settle during this time without any major usage. Three things jump out at me. First there is no orange peel. No matter how you look at this thing in the light you cannot find it. The second thing is because of the orange peel effect being non-existant, the clarity of the shield is second to none. I have 2 other phones here. One has a Power Support Crystal and the other is naked. If you focus only on the touch area, you cannot tell which one is which. Finally the last thing I like is the feel. This shield is very smooth and slick. It is not like other shields which offer too much resistance. I liken the feel to the Power Support HDAG. It is almost that smooth. Much smoother than any other shield or static protector.

So this is where my story ends. If you are in the market for a shield, I suggest you try the Ultra. Get it from Wal-mart. $19.99 is hard to beat. Use the wet install method and you will be happy. If not, peel it off and take it back to the store or get a warranty replacement. Take your time though and do it right and you will be rewarded with the best in protection, clarity and feel.

So, I'm not too interested in wet application. Since I'm only 15 and don't want to get my phone wet during the application to risk damaging it, have you ever tried the dry apply method?

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
i have not tried wrapsol, but i had IS for my ipod touch and it sucked >_>;

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
So, I'm not too interested in wet application. Since I'm only 15 and don't want to get my phone wet during the application to risk damaging it, have you ever tried the dry apply method?

Yes. I tried the dry application and failed miserably. I guess it could work but you would need to be in a very steamy bathroom and make sure to keep your fingers off the front of the shield. I much prefer the wet method. I just allows you to get the shield perfectly aligned. You do not need to use much liquid. Only 2 quick sprays. If you do not have fluid, make your own. 1 teaspoon of Johnsons baby shampoo with 10oz of water. Use an old spray bottle you have cleaned thoroughly. I have some left over Wrapsol fluid but I have the other as backup when this runs out.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010

I have used the dry method on two phones and it worked out great. Seriously it isn't that hard as long as your hands are clean. It even comes with a lemony smelling alcohol wipe which works. You never have to touch the underside of the screen.

Take some screen cleaner (I use the Monster stuff from BestBuy but you can use any brand) and clean the screen really well. Make sure the room is well lit and make sure there is zero dust on the screen. Then, do the opposite of the instructions. Peel back a small portion of the bottom with the home button and then line it up. It is easier to get straight using that side.

Now, once you have it lined up, only put on like a 1/4 of an inch of the protector, then use a cardboard squeegee, not the one it comes with to smooth it down. Personally, I use a credit card length-wise since it fits across the entire screen.

Simple and looks good with what few bubbles and marks disappearing after a couple of days.

Personally, while I like the zero orange peel and clear look, the feel was off to me. I switched to the Bodyguardz Dry Apply. Minimal orange peel after 3 days (I actually have to look for it now). Looks clean, and not as thick as the Wrapsol. Also, the Wrapsol caught on the side of the Otterbox Commuter that I use and started to peel a little. The Bodyguardz hasn't done that.

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Looks clean, and not as thick as the Wrapsol. Also, the Wrapsol caught on the side of the Otterbox Commuter that I use and started to peel a little. The Bodyguardz hasn't done that.

This is the only thing that has me concerned. I do not use a case at all but going in and out of pants pockets may cause issues. None so far but I am only 2 days in.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
This is the only thing that has me concerned. I do not use a case at all but going in and out of pants pockets may cause issues. None so far but I am only 2 days in.

It will eventually catch on something since at least mine was above the plastic frame. Without a case, the Wrapsol seems like better protection than the Bodyguardz. It is thicker and a little stiffer for better protection. That sounded dirty.

Anyway, I will say the side pieces were and still are disturbingly stuck on my phone with the Wrapsol. The Bodyguardz side pieces are garbage. The Wrapsol feels like it can take a drop like their website says. I wouldn't try it though.

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
You installed it pretty darn well! Can't seem to depict out any bubbles. wow!

Yep. I have installed quite a few over the years. The thickness of the Ultra helps you push the water bubbles out easily without stretching. Then you really can work it with your thumbs if you need it to line up better. Aside from the matte finish backs, this is the easiest wet install I have done and its not supposed to be a wet install.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Quick question, if it comes in a dry install, what solution do you use to do the wet install? I personally perfer the wet install as it is much easier to align and if you mess up you can reapply.

Edit: Just saw your post a few from the top, I guess I missed that post while skipping around.

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Meltdown,
The Ultra seems to be best with no case or one of the aluminum cases that do not overlap the screen. I am trying to keep my phone without a case but I am trying the Case-Mate Jett case and might look at the Blade. Either way, this shield comes out to the very edge of the screen. It is also very thick. It is not case friendly at all. Everyone should keep that in mind. I was using Clear Coat or BodyGuardz before and most cases would work with those.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Meltdown,
The Ultra seems to be best with no case or one of the aluminum cases that do not overlap the screen. I am trying to keep my phone without a case but I am trying the Case-Mate Jett case and might look at the Blade. Either way, this shield comes out to the very edge of the screen. It is also very thick. It is not case friendly at all. Everyone should keep that in mind. I was using Clear Coat or BodyGuardz before and most cases would work with those.

Agreed, I purchased it and am trying it out. I can definitely say that it is quite thicker then most screen protectors. I have been using my phone naked for the last couple days while using the side protectors as well. I'd have to say the side protectors that come with the ultra are pretty easy to apply and good quality compared to the bodyguardz side protectors. Only downfall to these is it probably won't work with ANY case because these are so thick. The bodyguardz side protectors were a pain to apply and crap quality once installed but also very thin and would work with certain cases compared to this one.

Also tried the dry install and failed miserably so I decided before I went and got a replacement I'd try a wet install on this, took some leftover zagg shield spray and sprayed it on and applied it perfectly without any bubbles.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I have to say I'm having my best luck with a company called clear-coat.com. After using zagg and them sucking I decided to just go with the monoprice $2 shields. Gave clear-coat a shot and so far they are holding up the best / look the best.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Been using my phone naked with this Wrapsol full body from walmart for a few days now, and tonight I was a little out of it and I dropped my phone straight onto tile from about 4 feet and it landed on the back where I have this applied and I'm glad to say nothing happened, phone works perfect, screen didn't shatter luckily. So the company saying it "protects from drops" so far so true, or maybe I just got lucky. Although the company does say it should be one of the strongest films on the market and supposed to take up to almost 80 lbs of pressure.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Been using my phone naked with this Wrapsol full body from walmart for a few days now, and tonight I was a little out of it and I dropped my phone straight onto tile from about 4 feet and it landed on the back where I have this applied and I'm glad to say nothing happened, phone works perfect, screen didn't shatter luckily. So the company saying it "protects from drops" so far so true, or maybe I just got lucky. Although the company does say it should be one of the strongest films on the market and supposed to take up to almost 80 lbs of pressure.

Yeah that is part of the reason the Ultra is so thick. It is made to be used without a case according to the company line. I thick part of it is luck and part of it is just that due to its thickness and rubbery properties it does absorb shock.

If I was going caseless I would have definitely bought another one, but since I like using cases, I didn't.

One thing to note that is a little interesting to me is that the front and back are so thick it makes it so that that the Element Vapor and Atomic Hybrid (didn't try it on other aluminum cases) have no lay on the table at all. It is so thick it comes either over the lip (the Atomic) or right up to the lip (the Element). Essentially it rests on the screen/front shield whenever you put the phone down.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I'm thinking about buying this.

Is it really that hard to apply dry? And does it ruin the picture quality of the screen?

On my 3GS I had a Power Support which the guy at the Apple Store installed for me. Can't decide if I should just do that again or buy this one.

The Power Support on my 3GS did affect the picture quality but I got used to it very quickly...however when I removed it after a couple years of owning it just today, the screen was flawless.

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2010
Southern Pines, North Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I use the electron aluminum bumper and I have wrapsol wrap around the edges. It fits a little tight but worked very well. I also have the back wrapsol shield over my original black glass and my case still had some lay on table protection . I did dry install and it was horrible so I am getting a replacement. Haven't used the front wrapsol cause I have had power support on front , the guy at apple store put it on so perfect I don't wanna take it off.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
My BSE started to peel off, they replaced it for free with another one, but I think the completely flat back of the iPhone 4 and tight pockets is definitely gonna cause peeling

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.