Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferri1c

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
How do I sync my iphone to a new macbook pro?

Basically all my songs, apps, photos, etc that is on my phone will be erased if I sync it with the new Itunes on my new computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
How do I sync my iphone to a new macbook pro?

Basically all my songs, apps, photos, etc that is on my phone will be erased if I sync it with the new Itunes on my new computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Take this with a grain of salt, and verify before you accomplish.

I believe you can register your Mac Pro to iTunes (you're allowed 5 computers). Once this is done, you should be able to plug your phone in and turn off "sync whenever connected."

Then click "File / Transfer Purchases from XXXX"

Since the computer is register under the same iTunes account, it should transfer all your apps.

In terms of songs, I believe you select manage my music and videos manually, and then drag and drop them from the phone to your iTunes Library.

In terms of pictures, as soon as you plug your phone into the Mac Pro, iLife should allow you to import them.

Hope this helps...ensure you get a good backup before attempting these steps!

Cosmo

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
I just did this. I was syncing with itunes on a pc and decided to now sync with my mac.

On my mac i registered it in itunes. Then i copied all my media from my old itunes and pasted it into proper locations in the new itunes.

I don't sync contacts, calendars, email so that wasn't something i had to deal with.

I did disable automatic syncing prior to plugging in the phone.

I plugged in the phone and right clicked on it and transferred all my purchases over to the mac.

Then i synced it. This removes your app folders on your phone which is a big pain in the rear. I couldn't find a way to avoid this. Then i had to recreate all my app folders on my phone and reorganize all my apps. It didn't remove any of my apps which i thought it was going to do. Most of my app data remained on my phone except for some games. I don't know why them but they may have been the most recent added games to my phone if that matters.

What i would suggest is to take screen shots of all your iphone "pages" so that you have a guide to recreate your app organization.

You will also have to sync your music, movies, etc back to your device. So go into their respective tabs and check what you want synced.

If you have multiple ios devices it gets more of a pain when you sync each device as itunes wants to add all the apps to the next device you sync. So when you plug in the next device before you sync it go to the apps tab on itunes and get rid of all the apps that itunes wants to add to the device that you don't want on the device.

Hope this helps....

WelshBluebird

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
UK
Eugh I was hoping that it would carry across the folders.
Will be moving to a new MPB from my windows laptop on Saturday, and really not fancy redoing all my folders on the phone. Pain in the backside.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Eugh I was hoping that it would carry across the folders.
Will be moving to a new MPB from my windows laptop on Saturday, and really not fancy redoing all my folders on the phone. Pain in the backside.

It may be possible to keep app folders by backing up the device on the new computer after transferring all purchases and then syncing and then restore from backup. I didn't try that as I don't know what that would do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.