Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 24, 2005, 05:16 AM   #1
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4
 
wrldwzrd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Solon, OH
PowerPC Underclocking

I would love to see an enhanced version of CHUD (part of Xcode) that allows you to underclock the RAM, system bus, and CPU as much as you want - you could take even the mighty 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5 down to 1 MHz, the speed of the first Macs ideally. Does such a tool already exist? Does any Mac support this kind of tinkering? Being able to do this would make my life as a developer that much easier.
__________________
iMac Intel (Rev H, 27"), 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM, 10.8.4
wrldwzrd89 is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2005, 07:46 AM   #2
sgarringer
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89
I would love to see an enhanced version of CHUD (part of Xcode) that allows you to underclock the RAM, system bus, and CPU as much as you want - you could take even the mighty 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5 down to 1 MHz, the speed of the first Macs ideally. Does such a tool already exist? Does any Mac support this kind of tinkering? Being able to do this would make my life as a developer that much easier.
I would think that learning how to make applications run based on timing info instead of depending on processor cycles would make your life as a developer that much easier also.

By the way, the first Macintosh computers ran around 5MHz (4.77 IIRC). Perhaps the Apple II ran at 1 MHz.

Either way, its not complicated to make an application run slower, if you know how to waste time between processes.
sgarringer is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2005, 07:54 AM   #3
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarringer
I would think that learning how to make applications run based on timing info instead of depending on processor cycles would make your life as a developer that much easier also.

By the way, the first Macintosh computers ran around 5MHz (4.77 IIRC). Perhaps the Apple II ran at 1 MHz.

Either way, its not complicated to make an application run slower, if you know how to waste time between processes.
You remember wrong, but you don't have to remember anything. That's why Glen Sanford gave us A History of Apple Computers. The original Mac 128k ran at 8 MHz. You are confusing the Mac with the IBM PC, which ran at 4.77 MHz.
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2005, 08:00 AM   #4
dvdh
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
If I remember correctly, I use to have CPU Director (Powerlogix) on my iBook G3 and was able to underclock it to some fairly low numbers. I'm not sure (doubtful) that it would work with the G5, but it might be worth a try.
dvdh is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2005, 10:29 AM   #5
wrldwzrd89
Thread Starter
macrumors G4
 
wrldwzrd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Solon, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarringer
I would think that learning how to make applications run based on timing info instead of depending on processor cycles would make your life as a developer that much easier also.

By the way, the first Macintosh computers ran around 5MHz (4.77 IIRC). Perhaps the Apple II ran at 1 MHz.

Either way, its not complicated to make an application run slower, if you know how to waste time between processes.
I was thinking of the Apple I...but the exact speed isn't important. What I'm trying to do is figure out what the best way to simulate running my application on a slower machine than my own without having to seek such a machine. You make a good point that it's relatively easy to make the application waste time - however, it isn't easy to simulate a specific speed exactly with this method, and compiler optimizations will often eliminate such solutions anyway. Hence my request for finding a hardware-level solution.
__________________
iMac Intel (Rev H, 27"), 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM, 10.8.4
wrldwzrd89 is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2005, 04:22 PM   #6
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604
 
MacsRgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe
The original Mac 128k ran at 8 MHz. You are confusing the Mac with the IBM PC, which ran at 4.77 MHz.
AHA!

So Apple started the MHz wars!
__________________
Steve Jobs. 1955 - 2011. My Hero.
MacsRgr8 is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy way to find and delete Classic and PowerPC Apps? rickpoet Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 13 May 25, 2012 02:07 PM
Yes! I underclocked my MacBook Pro kensenjiha MacBook Pro 22 Mar 3, 2012 07:42 PM
Best photo editor for PowerPC Mac Mini? MmmPancakes PowerPC Macs 8 Sep 11, 2011 04:21 PM
Download iTunes 10.2 for Home Sharing with PowerPC Mini? flipdoubt Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Aug 17, 2011 03:31 PM
iMac G5 PowerPc Help cerithomas Mac Basics and Help 4 Nov 22, 2010 10:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC