Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Dec 20, 2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Semdk
macrumors member

Setting up network with Apple routers

Hi

the setup:

I want to set up a network with a Time Capsule and 2 AirPort Express (APE for more range, music streaming and printer at another location than TC).
Additionally i want to connect (by Cat6e) an other small storage server (LaCie Network Space), a laptop used as Home sharing server and a PS3.
Is it possible to get all devices and wirreless devices (connected at either one of the AEPs or the TC) to be able to acces all the servers and printer (connected via AEP)

The questions:

1 The time capsule doesn’t have enough ports for all 5. Do i then have to buy a switch to connect all red spots to TC? Will all devices (both wirred connected and wirreless) be able to acces all the other devices even though you use a switch? Could anyone recommend a specific switch for my need (small, fast (cat6e), and cheap/simple)?
2 How do you set up the AEP to “copy” my TC network, so it just exspands the WiFi range?

Simon
Semdk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Silencio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semdk View Post
Hi

1 The time capsule doesn’t have enough ports for all 5. Do i then have to buy a switch to connect all red spots to TC? Will all devices (both wirred connected and wirreless) be able to acces all the other devices even though you use a switch? Could anyone recommend a specific switch for my need (small, fast (cat6e), and cheap/simple)?
Yes. I'd just get an 8-port unmanaged gigabit ethernet switch for that. I have a HP ProCurve 1400-8G hooked up to my Airport Extreme in my office, but any of the usual D-Link, Linksys, or Netgear choices should do the trick.

Quote:
2 How do you set up the AEP to “copy” my TC network, so it just exspands the WiFi range?
This Apple document will tell you everything you need to know about setting up various wireless network topologies with Airport base stations:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/..._Early2009.pdf

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking