Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Would really like to purchase a quality note taking app so I can quickly jot down notes in meetings. I planned on using a stylus. The two choices I've come down to are Note Taker and Phat Pad. I like the idea that Phat Pad can convert what you write into neat text in case I need to forward anything.
Was hoping to get some opinions on both before making the purchase.

Note Taker HD
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/note-taker-hd/id366572045?mt=8

Phat Pad
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/phatpad/id406459946?mt=8

Thank you!

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Have you looked at Soundnote? It is a really great note taking app that has audio recording that tracks what you type so tapping a word will bring the recording back to that spot in your notes in case you missed something. I love it and it is really the best - I also have Note Taker HD but don't use it at all anymore.:)

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Pen and a paper like in the old days? Is faster and more flexible than an iPad, then you can take your notes and writing them down to the computer or iPad!

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I'd like to throw "Notes Plus" into the mix. It has the "zoom to write" feature of Note Taker HD and the recording of SoundNote plus nice drawing tools. I've tried most of the notes apps out there, but I keep coming back to Notes Plus.

FubsyGamr

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2010
I just wanted to add my two cents, and say that I use Note Taker HD for all of my note-taking during school. I am a computer engineering major, and I can easily take Math and Programming notes (the classes I'm taking now) with little-to-no hassle. I also tried Notes Plus and Penultimate, and I kept coming back to Note Taker HD.

I haven't tried Soundnote, though.

swirlybee

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
I have Notes Plus and Note Taker HD on my iPad. Notes Plus has become my favorite. To me, it's more intuitive and I needed something that is a lot like an actual note pad and pen. I can draw simple diagrams (actually, I can probably draw complex diagrams/illustrations if I wanted to). Two things that would make Notes Plus perfect for my needs would be the ability to import pdfs and write over them and the ability to swipe left/right to move to the next page instead of up/down.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
I've been using Notorize for about 6 months and have been generally quite happy. I like the fact that I can record and take notes and have the recording/notes synchronized. I also import PDFs and pictures to annotate. You can even import PDFs/Pictures within a set of lined notes (e.g. page of lined notes, one page pdf, ). I do wish you could incorporate word docs, even just as images. Also, if you think you'll be primarily handwriting notes (and I don't know why anyone would), this may not be the app for you.

FubsyGamr

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2010
Also, if you think you'll be primarily handwriting notes (and I don't know why anyone would), this may not be the app for you.

Well, I can't speak for the OP, but with the type of classes I am taking, there is no way I could take typed-out notes, all of them have to be hand-written. That's the only reason I chose Note Taker HD.

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
Notes plus used over here. Very happy with it but there are some things missing I would like to see one day.

- ability to create folders or notebooks to group notes
- the ability to erase sound recordings
- ability to convert to typed text and email to others for editing, etc.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
It would be really fantastic if Apple created their own note-taking app. No, I don't mean the "Notes" app. I'm sure they would hit it out of the park if they worked on it, but I guess they left that market open to iOS developers.

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
No PhatPad users in the group? It's only $3.99 so I will probably just take the chance anyway, but it'd be nice to hear from at least one user :)

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
paper and pen, once you get home take a good photo and upload to a cloud service.

and use this "time looking for the perfect app" instead with your children or love ones

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
My new go-to app is NoteShelf - it's like Penultimate combined with Notes Plus combined with iBooks. And it exports to dropbox.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like penultimate but I'm trying out note shelf. It has some features that I think I like over penultimate. If penultimate synced with itunes, dropbox, or evernote then I'd probably stick wit penultimate. The lack of synchronization for penultimate is what's the biggest omission.

I've tried notes + and while nice, I think its lacking in its organization, and eraser tool. I'm finding at times, difficult to delete stuff. The demo shows you draw a circle and tap delete, but this doesn't always work. Similarly the drawing a line through the text is supposed to delete stuff but that doesn't seem to work too well. The best approach is an eraser tool

stuartmeyers

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Sydney
I have tried a number of apps and liked Notes Plus but I am about to start a course and was thinking of using Pages (because I use it often and am familiar with it as a word processor and can type fast enough) and use Adobe ideas for my drawings and then embed the drawings into the Pages document.

stuartmeyers

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Sydney
paper and pen, once you get home take a good photo and upload to a cloud service.
I dont get it - write it down, take a picture of it and send it somewhere into cyberspace? What for?

and use this "time looking for the perfect app" instead with your children or love ones
Better to be contributing to a community forum than wasting time with useless comments - you could also be "with your children or love ones" instead of winding up EmmEff :D

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I am also looking for a notes app and can use some help....

Here are my requirements...
- needs to allow creation of folders or categories directly in the app
- need to have the ability to send the notes out in an email or export directly to a word or PDF file. I can't use an external synching service due to the sensitive nature of the data
- needs to have a built-in search function
- needs to have drawing functionality
- tagging would be a bonus
- audio recording would be a bonus

Ok experts...does something exist out there to meet my needs?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

GL

stuartmeyers

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Sydney
- needs to allow creation of folders or categories directly in the app
- need to have the ability to send the notes out in an email or export directly to a word or PDF file. I can't use an external synching service due to the sensitive nature of the data
- needs to have a built-in search function
- needs to have drawing functionality
- tagging would be a bonus
- audio recording would be a bonus
Notes plus has just updated to add folders. Already has PDF and email, drawing and audio recording. No tags or search. I really like the zoom to draw feature (close-up writing) which is good with a stylus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.