Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2005, 07:42 AM   #1
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

iTunes Music Store Downloads Top a Quarter Billion Songs

iTunes Music Store Downloads Top a Quarter Billion Songs

PR Newswire 8:38 am January 24, 2005

Apple(R) today announced that music fans have purchased and downloaded more than 250 million songs from the iTunes(R) Music Store. iTunes users are now downloading one and a quarter million songs per day, which is an annual run rate of almost half a billion songs per year. The iTunes Music Store is now available in fifteen countries, which together represent more than 70 percent of the global music market.

"When we launched the iTunes Music Store we were hoping to sell a million songs in the first six months -- now we're selling over a million songs every day, and we've sold over a quarter billion songs in total," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "iTunes is leading the way into the digital music era and together with iPod is changing the way millions of music lovers find and enjoy their music."
Old Jan 24, 2005, 07:58 AM   #2
Veldek
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to Veldek Send a message via AIM to Veldek Send a message via MSN to Veldek
Nice to see that itís still going forward. At this rate we will have 670,000,000 downloaded songs at the end of the year. Someone proposed 1 billion in another thread, but I still donít believe this number unless the store comes to a lot of other countries. Letís see how the new Pepsi promotion will help.
Veldek is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2005, 09:33 AM   #3
MCCFR
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veldek
Nice to see that itís still going forward. At this rate we will have 670,000,000 downloaded songs at the end of the year. Someone proposed 1 billion in another thread, but I still donít believe this number unless the store comes to a lot of other countries. Letís see how the new Pepsi promotion will help.
Veldek,

I was that someone - and I stand by the prediction given the rate of acceleration that iTMS is experiencing.

Back in December, I was predicting October 05 for 1 billion tracks. However, if you run the numbers (for each 50 million track increment) they look like:

50 million: 318 days
100 million: 123 days
150 million: 94 days
200 million: 63 days
250 million: 39 days

So the next 50 million (300 million) could be anywhere between 24 to 39 days, so start looking for the next announcement from 17/02.

As for breaking into more territories, if Apple ship iTMS in Australia, NZ and - most importantly - Japan, I think that will give my prediction an enormous boost, but either way 1 billion in 2005 is pretty much a sure thing.
MCCFR is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2005, 10:37 AM   #4
Veldek
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to Veldek Send a message via AIM to Veldek Send a message via MSN to Veldek
Let it be 24 days, then it would take 360 days to get to a billion, which would already be in 2006. At the recent rate it would take 40 days, though it might get a little faster. I still say, we won't get there in 2005 but I'd be glad if I was wrong.

Still just eleven months to go until we'll see
Veldek is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion