Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:07 PM   #1
mlgnstw
macrumors newbie

how to fax without phone line or modem

Help...i have a mac pro (intel) and macbook pro (intel)..osx10.6.. both without modems...I need to fax maybe 1-5 pages a month and am tired of going to the local mailboxes etc. and paying $1 page...my multiprinter Canon MP500 does not fax....

I know i can join an efax type system but that's $80 a year...

are there any software programs to download and takes care of 'Sending" faxes without a modem or fax machine..Looked a pagesender but that requires a efax type of account...

Just want to convert a scan into a fax and send it without adding another telephone line or piece of hardware...
mlgnstw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:16 PM   #2
mstrze
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to mstrze
Can't your recipients get sent a PDF via email?
mstrze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:21 PM   #3
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrze View Post
Can't your recipients get sent a PDF via email?
There are plenty of organizations that will not accept e-mail attachment for certain documents, but will accept faxes. It doesn't really make any sense, but they're out there.

My company has a service that does precisely what you want, but I don't know what system they use. I just did a Google search for "fax via e-mail" and got some promising hits. You might want to try some of those.

Otherwise, maybe someone who already has a solution will chime in.
mchalebk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:27 PM   #4
mstrze
macrumors 68000

That's poopy.

I know everytime someone has requested a fax from me within the last 4 years and I asked if I could instead send a PDF they said "No problem".

It's worth asking.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:32 PM   #5
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
That's poopy.

I know everytime someone has requested a fax from me within the last 4 years and I asked if I could instead send a PDF they said "No problem".

It's worth asking.
I just recently had my credit union (which is across the country) make some changes to my account. They had to have it in writing and signed, and would only accept a fax or a letter. So, I either had to mail it or fax it.

I've also had cases where my company's travel department would only accept faxes for expense reports (I think they've finally gotten over it by now, but it was true a few years ago).

The fact of the matter is that there are organizations living in the past who think a fax is just about as good as a delivered hardcopy, but an e-mail is suspect. I really don't see the logic, but it's still there.
mchalebk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:35 PM   #6
bobr1952
macrumors 68000

Quote:
That's poopy.

It's worth asking.
I usually don't bother to ask as long as I have an email address. I had to recently send financial documents to Chase for a refinance and PDF was just fine with them--let's hope the end of requiring dinosaur faxes will be close at hand.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:44 PM   #7
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

faxzero.com
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:34 PM   #8
CaptainChunk
macrumors 68020

Quote:
The fact of the matter is that there are organizations living in the past who think a fax is just about as good as a delivered hardcopy, but an e-mail is suspect. I really don't see the logic, but it's still there.
Well, the logic is actually pretty sound from a security standpoint. You can't send viruses over traditional fax machines and the transmissions go directly to the recipient without hitting a mail server first, which can potentially be compromised. This is why a lot of businesses (especially financial institutions) still appear to "live in the past", so to speak.
CaptainChunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:26 PM   #9
mlgnstw
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
Well, the logic is actually pretty sound from a security standpoint. You can't send viruses over traditional fax machines and the transmissions go directly to the recipient without hitting a mail server first, which can potentially be compromised. This is why a lot of businesses (especially financial institutions) still appear to "live in the past", so to speak.
CaptainChunk is right on..financial and insurance companies basically require a fax...smart or not, living in the past or not, they require it and i have to send for example my health insurance claims by fax (they claim snail mail works but they always seem to loose the claim)..so it's about 1-5 pages a month i need to send

Apple has abandoned the fax as have many printer companies...I've tried to find a simple low cost solution for those few times i "have " to fax...

I'll try zerofax...and let you know...i may also look for a compact portable fax (i only need to send not receive)...i am surprised not to find a software that just turns a scan to fax and then sends over the internet to a fax machine.. so far no skype, no google voice, no apple add-ons...
doesnt sound that complicated but hours of running down google searches seem to keep coming to the same solution...either buy hardware with a telephone line or subscribe to an online service at $10-15 a month...but they all list their service is free until you look into the fine print..

Does anyone else have this problem..? or does anyone use a good fax software without monthly fees,second lines or hardware requirements..
mlgnstw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:34 AM   #10
mstrze
macrumors 68000

mlgnstw...

You might want to at least ask about sending an attachment or check your insurance company's website about filing a claim online. My insurance carrier allows me to file claims and provide supporting documents online, they even have a place where you can upload the supporting documents on the website. I just scan stuff into a PDF and I am done. All facets of my work, including info for our business travel and expense reimbursment in my Multi-national company (CN/US/UK) are done through emailing or uploading a PDF.

Just before you pay for a fax service (my research found no free services...well just one, but it includes ads in each fax YUK) or buy a fax machine, ask your insurance company...even if it's just to know their plans in the future. If they don't now, they may allow it soon and your purchase may end up collecting dust and it may be worth it to do what you are doing for another month or two.

If you have already asked them, OK...but if you have not...what have you got to lose?
Old Dec 22, 2010, 05:52 PM   #11
Garamond
macrumors regular

www.sendfax.co.cc

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro