Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Original poster
Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
MobileRSS has released an update to their iPad RSS reader that appears to be a total ripoff of the Reeder RSS app interface and design.

See screen caps here.

More info on this in the Reeder devs Twitter feed here.

Looks like both Readability and Instapaper have blocked MobileRSS access to their API in protest.

iTunes reviewers are not happy with this development either.

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Absolute disgrace, they've hardly put any effort in to make it look like their own product, completely ripped Reeder off and the backlash from Instapaper and ReadItLater devs in support of the Reeder dev is nice to see.

Nibirutech should be ashamed of themselves.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Has more functionality than Reeder. At least you can manage your feeds. Plus, the two themes in MobileRSS HD looks much nicer than Reeder.

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Has more functionality than Reeder. At least you can manage your feeds. Plus, the two themes in MobileRSS HD looks much nicer than Reeder.

I'm not surprised it has more functionality, they had a user interface to COPY from so they had more time to spend on adding bells and whistles while someone else has already done all the had work of the UI for them ;)

I'm certain Apple is going to remove it as it's one of the most blatant ripoffs I've ever seen and I've seen a few!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
They're screwed, based on the twitter feed read it later and instapaper removed their API.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
I'm not surprised it has more functionality, they had a user interface to COPY from so they had more time to spend on adding bells and whistles while someone else has already done all the had work of the UI for them ;)

I'm certain Apple is going to remove it as it's one of the most blatant ripoffs I've ever seen and I've seen a few!

This app has been out for a while, you know. It didn't just get released.

They're screwed, based on the twitter feed read it later and instapaper removed their API.

ReadItLater put it back in. I wasn't aware of Instapaper.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^regardless, some of the functionality is being disabled as troops rally against it for their theft of design. While its been around, the new update to UI is what is causing a problem.

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
This app has been out for a while, you know. It didn't just get released.

I realize that, which makes it even more inexcusable that they should think that v3.0 should ripoff someone else's hard UI design work.

There really isn't any excuse for what they've done, it's not a v1.0, they've got other products, I'm shocked they think they are going to get away with this, I hope Apple shut them down to be honest, or the Reeder dev hammers them with a lawsuit or both! :)

Weaselboy

Original poster
Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

That is an interesting angle I had not thought of. I don't know what Apple's position is on UI theft and if they will remove an app from the store because of it.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
I realize that, which makes it even more inexcusable that they should think that v3.0 should ripoff someone else's hard UI design work.

There really isn't any excuse for what they've done, it's not a v1.0, they've got other products, I'm shocked they think they are going to get away with this, I hope Apple shut them down to be honest, or the Reeder dev hammers them with a lawsuit or both! :)

Well, I think Reeder copying UI aspects from Things. Reeder's graphical layout resembles the Projects layout in Things. So maybe Apple should shut down Reeder?

Besides, MobileRSS is the better app anyway. You still can manage your feeds with Reeder. It only has one theme, which is ugly turd brown.

Plus, I don't like audacious devs who think they run the app store. I can't understand why people love Reeder so much. Other RSS apps have more functionality.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
That is an interesting angle I had not thought of. I don't know what Apple's position is on UI theft and if they will remove an app from the store because of it.

The only thing changed in the latest release of MobileRSS HD was the side navigation panel. I've owned this app for a while now. Other apps have similar UI aspects too. I have about 10 on the iPad and every app looks about the same when you want to forward an article to Instapaper or Twitter. That box looks about the same on all of them.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Look at how the ripoff interface is designed.
I bet it's nowhere near as nice to use.

Besides, couldn't support someone who ripped off another's interface.

Well, I think Reeder copying UI aspects from Things. Reeder's graphical layout resembles the Projects layout in Things. So maybe Apple should shut down Reeder?
Woah! You're defending them? That's hogwash. I have both apps and the MobileRSS ripoff is blatant disgusting plagiarism, the author should be ashamed of themselves, and it should be removed from the app store. Any similarities between Things and Reeder (I own both) are incomparable in scope.

Weaselboy

Original poster
Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The only thing changed in the latest release of MobileRSS HD was the side navigation panel. I've owned this app for a while now. Other apps have similar UI aspects too. I have about 10 on the iPad and every app looks about the same when you want to forward an article to Instapaper or Twitter. That box looks about the same on all of them.

I hear you, but the sameness of the interface of these two apps now goes from being "similar" to being almost identical. I understand there are only so many ways to do things in an app, but it appears the MobileRSS dev did even try to come up with his way of doing things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.