Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trmackey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
So I came home for Christmas and my family recently got a new Cisco/Linksys E1000 router. This afternoon I logged in with the WPA2 password and was browsing with no problems for a few minutes. When I came back later tonight, I was unable to connect to the network, getting either "invalid password" or "connection timeout" messages. I'm typing the password 100% correct, so it's not a case sensitive issue. Me and my dad both have MacBook Pro's, neither of which are able to connect to the network. My mom has an older MacBook which connects fine (using that now), my dad an iPad as well which works fine, and even my iPhone connects with no problems (yes, I realize we're an Apple-friendly family).

I've searched countless threads on here and other sites and tried all the suggestions I've come across, like putting a $ in front of the password, resetting the modem/router/computer, etc. The one thing I have not been able to try is changing the channel on the router, which I plan on doing tomorrow once I get the router password from my dad.

I've never had this problem with any router and my laptop, and neither has my family. Just by using logic, I can only assume my laptop is in some way the root of the problem, but what exactly I'm not sure. I plan on trying the different channels tomorrow, but I thought I'd post this in case someone else has better advice for me. I'm not a novice when it comes to computer, but I'm not super technical either. Either way, I definitely know more about computers than my family and friends and usually never have a problem I can't fix on my own or just by googling it, but this one is stumping me. Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.