Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:33 PM   #1
Alag28
macrumors 6502

What exactly does Untethered Jailbreak mean?

so basically i have a brand new 3gs for sale sittng on stock 4.1 os right now. i magine ill get top dollar if i unlock it with 4.2. i see these threads about "Untethered Jailbreak 4.2 soon available"...is it just a jailbreak or is it an unlock. im confused about this. and in my case what should i do? should wait until they officially have the unlocking for 3g/3gs for 4.2?

thanks
Alag28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:37 PM   #2
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alag28 View Post
so basically i have a brand new 3gs for sale sittng on stock 4.1 os right now. i magine ill get top dollar if i unlock it with 4.2. i see these threads about "Untethered Jailbreak 4.2 soon available"...is it just a jailbreak or is it an unlock. im confused about this. and in my case what should i do? should wait until they officially have the unlocking for 3g/3gs for 4.2?

thanks
Tethered = every time your device reboots or the battery dies you need to run the jailbreak software to turn your device back on.

Un-Tethered = you can reboot your device freely. The 4.1 jailbreak will be an example for an untethered version.

iPod Touch 2G (MC) - 3G - 4G, iPhone 3GS (new bootrom), iPad, and iPhone 4 are tethered jailbreaks on 4.2.1

The unlock has nothing to do with the jailbreak being tethered.

You can unlock an iPhone 3G or 3GS now but it's more complicated for novice unlockers/jailbreakers. I'd wait for a better solution.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alag28 View Post

thanks
If you stay on 4.1 you will for sure have an untethered JB and could unlock it if you install the ipad BB. If you update to 4.2.1 and your 3GS has the new bootloader you will be stuck with a tethered JB meaning in order to reboot your iphone you will have to run redsnow.
"Untethered" JB means that you will be able to turn off or and restart your iphone any time without needing to run a program to do that. It has nothing to do with unlocking.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 02:56 PM   #4
LouTheArtist
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer.
I just JB my 3GS (untethered) and had no clue what the hec it meant

I thought it had to do with being able to use your phone as a modem plugged in to your laptop or something.

So anyway, I just wanted to thank you for the answer, as you can see there are still people out here like me that needed it
LouTheArtist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:05 PM   #5
labman
macrumors 604

there are stickies at the top of this section that provide lots of good info to those new to the jailbreak world. we have all been where you guys are. We have all asked these same questions. that's why they were made into stickies. Welcome to the jailbreak world guys. one other tip 99% of questions can be found faster by searching then asking. Not trying to be mean it's just way faster.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks