Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 12, 2011, 03:10 PM   #76
leenak
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuarocks View Post
The sad reality is that none of this can be further from the truth.. IF things really are getting better as the corporate run media has you to believe, why is gas going up? Why is the cost of living skyrocketing? Why is the housing problem not resolved yet? And why is it that food prices are going up? The Mass corporate media may have you believe that all this is false.. but the sad truth: IT IS NOT A FANTASY.. it is happening, and its happening right now.. Expect gas to be near or at 5 a gallon or possibly more..
FYI - Not sure if you've read the news in the last few months but there has been a lot of turmoil in the middle east and north africa which has caused gas prices to skyrocket. And since we rely on oil for our food production and distribution, food prices will also go up.
leenak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 03:11 PM   #77
mcrain
Banned
 
mcrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
The Federal Reserve is not a governmental agency. It is merely a board of 12 bank heads that decide monetary policy. Their decisions are not approved by any agency head, any legislative action or any executive, including the President. In other words, the Fed is a group of the biggest banks and financial sector entities. I don't really understand it all, but to act like the Federal Reserve is similar in any way to the IRS is pretty silly.

Quote:
A series of newsletters in the name of GOP presidential hopeful Ron Paul contain several racist remarks -- including one that says order was restored to Los Angeles after the 1992 riots when blacks went "to pick up their welfare checks."

CNN recently obtained the newsletters -- written in the 1990s and one from the late 1980s -- after a report was published about their existence in The New Republic.

None of the newsletters CNN found says who wrote them, but each was published under Paul's name between his stints as a U.S. congressman from Texas. CNN
Here's more on Ron Paul's newsletters: Oops, better link.
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 03:46 PM   #78
leekohler
Banned
 
leekohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
The Federal Reserve is not a governmental agency. It is merely a board of 12 bank heads that decide monetary policy. Their decisions are not approved by any agency head, any legislative action or any executive, including the President. In other words, the Fed is a group of the biggest banks and financial sector entities. I don't really understand it all, but to act like the Federal Reserve is similar in any way to the IRS is pretty silly.



Here's more on Ron Paul's newsletters: Oops, better link.
No surprise there- pretty much what I suspected all along from the things he and his spawn have spouted.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:33 AM   #79
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuarocks View Post
Thank you for agreeing with me on some things.. I am very RADICAL when it comes to freedoms being infringed upon, and the way the country is now heading. The Republicans are no friends to the Working, Middle and upper middle class majority.. The Republican agenda surely speaks for corporations and big businesses, and not the interests of the people. Even the Democratic Party fails to accomplish to bring changes to make the people's priorities come first before corporations and banks.

If Ron Paul isn't the solution, then I guess America has no future then.
This is 100% true. However I'm not ready to say RP is the only solution. The problem I have with the Liberterian view is that it's all about my liberty, my liberty to discriminate. I really can't abide by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuarocks View Post
I have my reasons why I am anti-corporatist.. America before 1919 wasn't a corporate state.. it was what the Founding Fathers had envisioned..They wanted a completely free Republic, free from corporate rule and tyranny..

Read up on what CORPORATIONS ARE AND WHY THEY ARE BAD FOR EVERYONE.. Obviously, you are so brainwashed by the corporate run media.. MY FRIEND, I have seen pictures for instance of babies blown to bits in the Middle East, but the Fascist run corporate rule of this country which controls the media doesn't show you the TRUTH.. Corporate RULE IS BAD.. JUST AS BAD AS STALINIST RULE.
Corporations serve a valuable purpose, they generate income. However they must be strictly regulated, not given free reign. Free reign, a direction we are headed, will put us back in the excesses of the 1800's with barons controlling the market and the little people holding them up on their shoulders. Another reason not to vote Republican.

I'd like to clarify something, my dislike of Republicans is something that has developed as of the 1980s when the Republican party jumped the track and veered hard right. They used to be decent people, but most if not all of the decent ones have been run out of the teeny weenie Republican tent.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:57 AM   #80
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuarocks View Post
I have my reasons why I am anti-corporatist.. America before 1919 wasn't a corporate state.. it was what the Founding Fathers had envisioned..They wanted a completely free Republic, free from corporate rule and tyranny..

Read up on what CORPORATIONS ARE AND WHY THEY ARE BAD FOR EVERYONE.. Obviously, you are so brainwashed by the corporate run media.. MY FRIEND, I have seen pictures for instance of babies blown to bits in the Middle East, but the Fascist run corporate rule of this country which controls the media doesn't show you the TRUTH.. Corporate RULE IS BAD.. JUST AS BAD AS STALINIST RULE.
Ron Paul is very much in favor of corporations being able to do w/e they want you realize???
__________________
Smile
AP_piano295 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:55 PM   #81
Joshuarocks
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere in Cyberspace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
This is 100% true. However I'm not ready to say RP is the only solution. The problem I have with the Liberterian view is that it's all about my liberty, my liberty to discriminate. I really can't abide by that.



Corporations serve a valuable purpose, they generate income. However they must be strictly regulated, not given free reign. Free reign, a direction we are headed, will put us back in the excesses of the 1800's with barons controlling the market and the little people holding them up on their shoulders. Another reason not to vote Republican.

I'd like to clarify something, my dislike of Republicans is something that has developed as of the 1980s when the Republican party jumped the track and veered hard right. They used to be decent people, but most if not all of the decent ones have been run out of the teeny weenie Republican tent.
Personally, any party thats for BIG BUSINESS and corporations before PEOPLE'S NEEDS is not a party I would support.. and neither the Democrats or Republicans serve the interests of working class/middle class/upper middle class citizens.. they only serve banks, and corporations. Thats why I hate corporate rule because they have been given the free ride for too long now..

Think of what our country would be like if the American people owned the Banks, and corporations - then their free ride would end.
Joshuarocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:06 PM   #82
mcrain
Banned
 
mcrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuarocks View Post
Think of what our country would be like if the American people owned the Banks, and corporations - then their free ride would end.
If the people owned all the corporations and banks, and had equal say in how things were run, then you'd have socialism. If you put a small group of people in charge of how all the corporations and banks operated on behalf of the people, you'd have communism. Which are you pushing for?
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 04:01 PM   #83
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God
 
SwiftLives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Charleston, SC
Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuarocks View Post
Think of what our country would be like if the American people owned the Banks, and corporations - then their free ride would end.
Could you imagine if the general public were allowed to actually purchase and own shares of stock in a corporation? How about if these shareholders were allowed to vote on such things as directors and company resolutions?
SwiftLives is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:11 PM   #84
Joshuarocks
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere in Cyberspace
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
If the people owned all the corporations and banks, and had equal say in how things were run, then you'd have socialism. If you put a small group of people in charge of how all the corporations and banks operated on behalf of the people, you'd have communism. Which are you pushing for?
Neither.. I am just sick of our two parties supporting BIG BUSINESS and corporations where they are supposed to serve the PEOPLE. Yes, I am somewhat Democratic Socialist, but not marxist socialist.
Joshuarocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:20 PM   #85
obeygiant
macrumors 68040
 
obeygiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuarocks View Post
Yes, I am somewhat Democratic Socialist, but not marxist socialist.
Thanks for being honest about your positions.
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:25 PM   #86
Joshuarocks
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere in Cyberspace
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
If the people owned all the corporations and banks, and had equal say in how things were run, then you'd have socialism. If you put a small group of people in charge of how all the corporations and banks operated on behalf of the people, you'd have communism. Which are you pushing for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
Thanks for being honest about your positions.
But, I don't believe in hurting anyone like Obama is.. and no, as a Democratic Socialist I don't think Obama is a socialist or advocating true socialist programs, but I'd like to see more of People's needs met by the two parties.. but alas.. they are mainly for big business and not the people and could care less about the American population.
Joshuarocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:26 PM   #87
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
Thanks for being honest about your positions.
If this country (U.S) keeps heading down the road it is on to a 2 class system: rich and poor, I can see myself becoming a socialist. I can only support a system that is good for the majority, not good just for a small minority.

BTW, Obama made a great speech today... Read and see it here: Washington Post. The Republican Party expects to give rich people gifts while expecting those who are struggling to pay for it. The Republican Party has outed itself!

"We cant afford a trillion dollar tax cut for every billionaire and millionaire in the country."- President Obama

Indeed we can't, but the Republican's are busy trying to convince YOU that we can. They have gone to the mat for the top wage earners in this country when they sense an opportunity, despite the fact that most of the country is struggling and they will do it if you the citizen taxpayer allow it. Oh, and you can work till your 70 to help out. Republican proposals are nothing less than outrageous. BTW, this is not an argument against tightening our belts, it is how we will tighten our belts. In these lean times, it is simply outrageous to be throwing money at people who don't really need it.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.

Last edited by Huntn; Apr 14, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:51 PM   #88
SuperCachetes
macrumors 6502a
 
SuperCachetes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Away from you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuarocks View Post
they are mainly for big business and not the people and could care less about the American population.
I believe that a lot of the American population could care less about the American population.

That's a real problem - and I don't just mean for the incorporation of socialist tendencies into our government.
SuperCachetes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:25 AM   #89
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
I was listening to Sen Jeff Sessions (R) this morning un****** believable. When asked why not let the Bush Tax cuts expire, his explanation was that the poor rich are simply taxed too much, poor babies, we have to protect them. I guess that all boils down to your perspective. If you remember, during the Clinton years that preceded these cuts we had one of the strongest economic performances in recent history. Republican arguments simply do not add up.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:38 AM   #90
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God
 
SwiftLives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Charleston, SC
Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
If this country (U.S) keeps heading down the road it is on to a 2 class system: rich and poor, I can see myself becoming a socialist. I can only support a system that is good for the majority, not good just for a small minority.

BTW, Obama made a great speech today... Read and see it here: Washington Post. The Republican Party expects to give rich people gifts while expecting those who are struggling to pay for it. The Republican Party has outed itself!

"We cant afford a trillion dollar tax cut for every billionaire and millionaire in the country."- President Obama

Indeed we can't, but the Republican's are busy trying to convince YOU that we can. They have gone to the mat for the top wage earners in this country when they sense an opportunity, despite the fact that most of the country is struggling and they will do it if you the citizen taxpayer allow it. Oh, and you can work till your 70 to help out. Republican proposals are nothing less than outrageous. BTW, this is not an argument against tightening our belts, it is how we will tighten our belts. In these lean times, it is simply outrageous to be throwing money at people who don't really need it.
The problem is that there's a perception that while a majority of people may not be rich, they will be one day. And hearing about these supposedly large taxes on the wealthy makes these people think they don't have a chance at upward mobility. That's how the Republicans get people to vote for them.
SwiftLives is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:59 AM   #91
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftLives View Post
The problem is that there's a perception that while a majority of people may not be rich, they will be one day. And hearing about these supposedly large taxes on the wealthy makes these people think they don't have a chance at upward mobility. That's how the Republicans get people to vote for them.
I agree. Most Americans don't understand our tax system and how the marginal rates work. Our tax codee is way too complicated, likely by design.
__________________
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:01 AM   #92
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftLives View Post
The problem is that there's a perception that while a majority of people may not be rich, they will be one day. And hearing about these supposedly large taxes on the wealthy makes these people think they don't have a chance at upward mobility. That's how the Republicans get people to vote for them.
I don't have a link, but in one of the articles I posted about the "Rise of the Global Elite", an English Millionaire said it was easier to be rich in the U.S. because instead of everyone resenting you, everyone wants to be like you.

Rep Todd Rokita (R) on CNN today: "We should not take from the people who create jobs in this country." His reason for not raising taxes on the rich. You may notice a Republican perspective that all rich people take their money and create jobs with it. This is a myth.

My profound observation for the day: The cat needs to be skinned. How do we want to do it?
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.

Last edited by Huntn; Apr 14, 2011 at 09:12 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:09 AM   #93
kavika411
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I don't have a link, but in one of the articles I posted about the "Rise of the Global Elite", an English Millionaire said it was easier to be rich in the U.S. because instead of everyone resenting you, everyone wants to be like you.
Why do people in England resent rich people?
kavika411 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:16 AM   #94
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavika411 View Post
Why do people in England resent rich people?
It could be that they are viewed as gluttons. Too much of anything is bad. It relates to a philosophical discussion of how much money does a moral person need to live a good life? His point was that in the U.S. because everyone thinks they could become rich, some large percentage of people are ok with polices that benefit the rich (even if it hurts everyone else- my perspective).
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:47 AM   #95
iJohnHenry
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On tenterhooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
I agree. Most Americans don't understand our tax system and how the marginal rates work. Our tax codee is way too complicated, likely by design.
Massive understatement.

Only the rich can afford the tax lawyers needed to crack the code, which was purpose-created by other tax lawyers.

Self-aggrandisement, to the detriment of every working stiff.

(Love that word. Thanks Bullett)
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:51 AM   #96
Joshuarocks
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere in Cyberspace
Sorry to everyone

I am sorry that I caused so much to be said against me.. I guess I am wrong.. everything is just fine and there is no corruption or problems going on.. I guess I will just go into a hole and just sit there for awhile

I am sorry about preaching that Ron Paul is America's LAST real hope.. I guess we have no choice but to let Obama fix everything.
Joshuarocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:22 AM   #97
leekohler
Banned
 
leekohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuarocks View Post
I am sorry that I caused so much to be said against me.. I guess I am wrong.. everything is just fine and there is no corruption or problems going on.. I guess I will just go into a hole and just sit there for awhile

I am sorry about preaching that Ron Paul is America's LAST real hope.. I guess we have no choice but to let Obama fix everything.
No need to be sorry about anything. People here merely pointed out in very real terms why Ron Paul is NOT the answer to our problems.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:23 AM   #98
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuarocks View Post
I am sorry that I caused so much to be said against me.. I guess I am wrong.. everything is just fine and there is no corruption or problems going on.. I guess I will just go into a hole and just sit there for awhile

I am sorry about preaching that Ron Paul is America's LAST real hope.. I guess we have no choice but to let Obama fix everything.
Roll with the punches. No need to apologize hide in a hole. Just defend your position. Corruption is a terrible problem associated with all things human. I don't think anyone would argue that.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:09 PM   #99
samiwas
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuarocks View Post
I am sorry that I caused so much to be said against me.. I guess I am wrong.. everything is just fine and there is no corruption or problems going on.. I guess I will just go into a hole and just sit there for awhile

I am sorry about preaching that Ron Paul is America's LAST real hope.. I guess we have no choice but to let Obama fix everything.
You might have a VERY VALID POINT!!! And in fact, MOST PEOPLE agree with A LOT OF WHAT YOU SAY!!!!! However, when you tend to go off with BIG ANGRY CAPITALIZED STATEMENTS and calling people NAMES, they tend to NOT CARE what you have to SAY!!!
samiwas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 03:18 PM   #100
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuarocks View Post
I am sorry that I caused so much to be said against me..
When you stand up for what you believe in you'll normally find people who think (and will say) that you're an idiot. Your goal should not be to have everyone agree with you. Your goal should be to educate yourself enough so that your opinions are based on something more than the mere firing of neurons in the reptilian segment of your brain.

Once you've achieved that, then damn the negative feedback and full-speed ahead.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Republican cuts hurting big retaliers bottom line, more loss of Republican support? PracticalMac Politics, Religion, Social Issues 40 Apr 5, 2014 11:54 AM
iPhone: Calendar > Agenda Tweak? evotoiphone Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 3 Jan 18, 2014 09:37 PM
Agenda calendar: your thoughts chestvrg iPhone 0 Nov 18, 2013 08:33 PM
All iPads: No Agenda: First impressions of the Mini and 4 Bdix iPad 0 Nov 6, 2012 09:50 PM
Need some help from PRSI...Agenda twenty one tigres Politics, Religion, Social Issues 19 Sep 15, 2012 02:16 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC