Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2014, 07:55 PM   #1
rhett7660
macrumors G3

San Francisco.. Need some recommendations

Hello all,

I will be visiting San Francisco in February, and I am looking for some suggestions on place to go, place to eat etc.

So far, I have on the schedule:

Places:
Alcatraz
Golden Gate Bridge
lombard street

Restaurants:
None so far.

So if you know a really good place to eat, have a beer (we are both beer drinkers!) please post it!!!! Or a good spot to go shopping and walking around.

We will be in the vicinity of: 700 block of Mission Street.....

Thanks a bunch in advance.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 08:01 PM   #2
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Hello all,

I will be visiting San Francisco in February, and I am looking for some suggestions on place to go, place to eat etc.

So far, I have on the schedule:

Places:
Alcatraz
Golden Gate Bridge
lombard street

Restaurants:
None so far.

So if you know a really good place to eat, have a beer (we are both beer drinkers!) please post it!!!! Or a good spot to go shopping and walking around.

We will be in the vicinity of: 700 block of Mission Street.....

Thanks a bunch in advance.
The usuals come into play here, especially if you are going to the GG Bridge and Alcatraz:

Pier 39
Embrarcadero
Fisherman's Wharf
Ghiradelli Square

Restaurants... depends. Do you like Garlic? If so, I would suggest (just for kicks) The Stinking Rose. Their slogan: "We Season Our Garlic with Food". Everything on their menu has garlic as an ingredient. Maybe a bit pricey, but at least worth a visit.

If they are available and open (they should), you could hop a bus over to San Rafael, and get a tour of Guide Dogs for the Blind. No matter how crappy a day you may have, nothing gets you out of that funk than being bomdarded by and playing with puppies.

Are you driving? Oakland has a pinball museum open if you are so well-minded. BART may have the means to get to all of these places, but I'm local to the region, so I'm having to drive into the bay anyway.

I'm sure others will chime in, outside of the Apple flagship store.

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2014, 08:23 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
The usuals come into play here, especially if you are going to the GG Bridge and Alcatraz:

Pier 39
Embrarcadero
Fisherman's Wharf
Ghiradelli Square
Excellent recommendations. If you are staying in the city, rhett7660 I would avoid renting a car. Driving and parking are a nightmare. San Fran has an excellent transit system. I spent 10 days there about 20 years ago and only rented a car for the last couple of days to drive out to the wine country.

Enjoy, it is a beautiful city to visit.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 08:23 PM   #4
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post

Pier 39
Embrarcadero
Fisherman's Wharf
Ghiradelli Square

Restaurants... depends. Do you like Garlic? If so, I would suggest (just for kicks) The Stinking Rose. Their slogan: "We Season Our Garlic with Food". Everything on their menu has garlic as an ingredient. Maybe a bit pricey, but at least worth a visit.

If they are available and open (they should), you could hop a bus over to San Rafael, and get a tour of Guide Dogs for the Blind. No matter how crappy a day you may have, nothing gets you out of that funk than being bomdarded by and playing with puppies.

Are you driving? Oakland has a pinball museum open if you are so well-minded. BART may have the means to get to all of these places, but I'm local to the region, so I'm having to drive into the bay anyway.

I'm sure others will chime in, outside of the Apple flagship store.

BL.
Sweet! Thank you!!! We are flying in, but will have a rental car for driving around. Two of the days, we are doing a Napa Valley train ride and wine tasting.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:26 PM   #5
impulse462
macrumors 65816

Embarcadero
Fisherman's Wharf
Golden Gate Park and Bridge but theyre not that close to each other.
Union square is pretty touristy also

As for restaurants, there are so many but some of my favorites are
Samovar Tea Lounge
Fatted Calf
Tadich
Taylor Street Coffee Shop (best breakfast I've had in a city)
St. Vincent
Sebo (sushi)
Flour+Water
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:05 PM   #6
ravenvii
macrumors 604

From someone who actually lived in SF:

I don't know why the others keep recommending Fisherman's Wharf. Don't waste your time.

Do take the trolley up there from Powell St, though (don't bother with the line at Union Square -- go up Powell, and just hop on the trolley at a stop sign. Seriously! ). But when you're at the end, instead of going to the Fisherman's Wharf, just go to Ghirardelli Square -- very touristy but pretty decent nonetheless.

If you're there on a Saturday, definitely go to the farmer's market at the Ferry Building. Go there early! (about 10 AM or 11 AM, no later). Try the lamb hot dog -- unbelievably delicious. And buy some chocolate brittles before you leave. If you're there on a Wednesday, check out the farmer's market at Civic Center -- not as clean as the Ferry Building (there's a ton of homeless people there), but grab the kettle popcorn, and if the truck hasn't left yet (go early!), grab a Belgian waffle. Both are blow-your-minds unbelievable.

While you're at the Civic Center. be brave and go north a couple of blocks to Golden Gate -- there's a burrito place between Hyde and Larkin called El Castillito. After you've eaten a burrito there, you'll never be the same. Honest.

Do check out the Castro -- a great couple of blocks to take a stroll. Stop by the Castro Coffee Company -- forget Blue Bottle, this is where you can get great coffee.

Do check out the Golden Gate Bridge. Do check out Golden Gate Park. Do check out the Seacliffs (stop by the little diner hanging right off the cliff for some excellent chili, then take a walk north on the old train tracks (the tracks themselves has long ago been removed, leaving a nice trail) along the cliff -- excellent views of the sea). Do check out Chinatown -- kitschy and touristy as hell, but great atmosphere. Go west a block to Stockton to see the *real* Chinatown.

Alcatraz? Well, why not. Worth going once.

Also check out Valencia -- great bars and nightlife there. And there's Puerto Alegre, where you can find the best steak nachos in America (IMO, at least).

Places to eat:
The previously mentioned farmer's markets.
The previously mentioned El Castillito.
The previously mentioned Puerto Alegre on Valencia. Just get the nachos, don't bother with anything else.
Stinking Rose is great, too.
While you're in Chinatown, stop by Sweetheart for some boba drinks. Best in the city.
If you like dim sum, Yank Sing has the best dim sum south of Vancouver.
If you're willing to go out of the way for the best Guinness you'd drink outside of Ireland, go to The Star and Plough, in the Richmond. Looks like crap, atmosphere is crap, but the Guinness... blows... your... mind. If you're not a Guinness megafan, ignore this one.

And for some mind-blowing dessert, go to the mall at Powell, go up to Nordstrom's, then go to the top floor, and go to the cafe there. Have some vanilla ice cream and bread pudding. Make sure to have a mop ready, you'll need to mop up your blown mind afterwards.

And lastly... make sure you make your way to Paxti's on Hayes. Forget Chicago, this is where you will discover deep dish pizza -- and I've been to Chicago.

And an obligatory nod to Mozzeria, a (fancy, or 'gourmet' if you will) pizza place owned and run by the Deaf on 16th Street.

I could go on and on, but I think that will fill up your days nicely.

Last edited by ravenvii; Dec 19, 2014 at 11:25 PM.
ravenvii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM   #7
maflynn

This is one thing I did, and enjoyed it.
Go to Pier 39, rent a bike and ride to Sausalito, you can take the ferry back to SF. You get to ride up to the Golden Gate bridge, cross it and enjoy some time in Sausalito.

There's an old fort at the base of the bridge, don't speed past it on the bike. Its worth a trip in there.
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM   #8
palmerc2
macrumors 65816

SF is the food capital of the nation, some of the best meals I've had were in SF. I go every couple of months and always like to go to different spots, do a search on Yelp and / or Zagat and you will not be disappointed.

The one restaurant I consistently go back to is Fly Trap on Folsom. The food is unbelievably good, highly (highly) recommended.

The most esteemed restaurant, and probably the most expensive in SF, would be Saison on Townsend. With a menu going up to $400 per person, going would definetly depend on your budget.

I'll second ravenvii on Patxi's, easily the best pizza I've ever had....it's Chicago style pizza, but amazingly way better than Chicago.

Go to Le Garage in Sausilito. The French fare is nothing too unique, however it has a million dollar view on the Sausalito marina. While you're there, go to Vista Point for a spectacular view of the Bay Area.

Another point to go to would be the top of Twin Peaks, for another extraordinary view of the Bay Area.
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM   #9
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Outstanding!!!! Thank you all very much, I am in the process of making our itinerary now!!!

Between pizza, beer, and views I think we are set!!!!!

Thank you again!
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM   #10
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Outstanding!!!! Thank you all very much, I am in the process of making our itinerary now!!!

Between pizza, beer, and views I think we are set!!!!!

Thank you again!
What more is needed in life?
haxrnick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #11
sjinsjca
macrumors 68000

Oh heavens yes: Fly Trap and Tadich! Explore the Marin headlands too.
sjinsjca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM   #12
Silencio
macrumors 68000

If you love food and beer, you're going to the right place.

http://21st-amendment.com
http://www.anchorbrewing.com
http://magnoliapub.com/dogpatch.html

Pizza is another deep subject.

My favorite deep dish in SF is Little Star Pizza. It's a smaller, more refined pie then Patxi's, but they are superior IMO.

Tony's in North Beach for coal-fired goodness a New Yorker would approve of. I also love their Chicago style roast beef sandwich.

Flour+Water is great, prepare to wait forever for a table.

Coffee? Check.

Sightglass, Four Barrel, Ritual Roasters, Reveille. All soooo good.

Mexican? Oh, yes.

Tacqeria Cancun is my favorite. That Al Pastor! Also vote for El Farolito. Nopalito is great if you want more refined fare.

Tadich Grill is really a must. A slice of well-preserved old skool SF.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion