Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:24 PM   #1
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

2014-15 NFL season thread

Picks for the upcoming season?

I see a possible juggernaut starting in Seattle. They will be good for a while barring injuries (a huge variable these days)

Is Peyton done? Can he bounce back from the embarrassing Super Bowl flounder? Is he truly a post season flop?

Brady and Belichek, any more super bowls in their future?

here we go again!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:41 PM   #2
carjakester
macrumors 68020

peyton manning is an outstanding quarterback, i still think he will dominate next season, he is a joy to watch.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:47 PM   #3
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjakester View Post
peyton manning is an outstanding quarterback, i still think he will dominate next season, he is a joy to watch.
he is great but is he great in the postseason? that's the ultimate question...
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:55 PM   #4
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

I'm thinking the Texans trade down, but I swear if they take Manziel I'm going to create a 2015-2016 NFL season thread.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
Picks for the upcoming season?

I see a possible juggernaut starting in Seattle. They will be good for a while barring injuries (a huge variable these days)

Is Peyton done? Can he bounce back from the embarrassing Super Bowl flounder? Is he truly a post season flop?

Brady and Belichek, any more super bowls in their future?

here we go again!
The Seattle juggernaut is only possible because Russell Wilson hasn't gotten paid yet. Once he demands huge money, the ability to divert that money to defense will be gone.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
I'm thinking the Texans trade down, but I swear if they take Manziel I'm going to create a 2015-2016 NFL season thread.
If you want to make a Texans fan drink, ask them who they'd rather have: Manziel or Derek Carr?
Moyank24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:58 PM   #6
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
If you want to make a Texans fan drink, ask them who they'd rather have: Manziel or Derek Carr?
I'll take Carr, but not with the number 1 overall pick. I definitely won't take Manziel 1 overall. If it's not Bridgewater, I'm trading down. Texans have too much talent to be screwing around with a terrible quarterback.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:14 PM   #7
MacNut
macrumors P6

Ugh, can we start spring training first.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:03 AM   #8
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I think the Seahawks have a decent chance to repeat. I also think that the Broncos will have a good season.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:57 AM   #9
rhett7660
macrumors G3

If the Seahawks stay healthy and keep the core components of the team. They are going to be a tough team for a few more years.

Of course for me, this is the year of the Cowboys! I mean come on. We have kept everyone in place that keeps us right at the .500 level for years to come! DAMN YOU AL DAVIS, I mean JERRY JONES!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:04 AM   #10
mscriv
macrumors 68040

It's always interesting to see how much things change in the offseason, players will shift, new coaches are taking over, where will the top rated draft picks end up, etc. etc.. It will be a much different landscape come August then it is now.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:35 PM   #11
Peace
macrumors P6

A couple of free agents from the Seahawks are already talking big money so I wouldn't say they would be a shoo-in for a juggernaut . Not quit yet. Wilson is happy for now but when his contract expires after the end of next season he will want big bucks provided he produces.

Seattle has the 6th SoS this coming year..

Games against Philly,Denver,San Francisco will make them keep on their toes.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:22 PM   #12
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Wilson is happy for now but when his contract expires after the end of next season he will want big bucks provided he produces.
Don't you think his agent and the Players Association are going to strongly suggest a restructuring of his deal before then? He would be crazy not to go after what he can get now as opposed to taking a chance on his performance next year. You know the old "strike while the iron is hot". In this league there's very little loyalty. The stat I heard was that Peyton Manning made more in one game than Wilson made all of last year. I highly doubt that will continue for all of next year now that he's a Super Bowl winning QB. I'm not saying he's going to get Flacco money or anything like that, but I bet his paycheck goes up next year prior to his contract expiring.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:35 PM   #13
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscriv View Post
Don't you think his agent and the Players Association are going to strongly suggest a restructuring of his deal before then? He would be crazy not to go after what he can get now as opposed to taking a chance on his performance next year. You know the old "strike while the iron is hot". In this league there's very little loyalty. The stat I heard was that Peyton Manning made more in one game than Wilson made all of last year. I highly doubt that will continue for all of next year now that he's a Super Bowl winning QB. I'm not saying he's going to get Flacco money or anything like that, but I bet his paycheck goes up next year prior to his contract expiring.
Maybe. Seattle might be thinking that because they just signed B.J. Daniels to a future QB contract. Believe it or not he's a rookie and 5'11".

He was claimed off waivers from ..You guessed it. The 49'ers.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 07:12 AM   #14
maflynn

I'd say if any team can repeat it will be the Seahawks. The trick will be staying focused and hungry for another ring. There's a ton of distractions that go along with winning the super bowl. Unlike the Ravens, they'll not loose too many people and they're a young team. They're on my short list to go all the way.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 07:55 AM   #15
satcomer
macrumors 68040

I think in the coming years we might see the Buffalo Bills moving to a different city according the local news sight article Cuomo names first members to group tasked with exploring new Bills stadium.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:15 AM   #16
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
I think in the coming years we might see the Buffalo Bills moving to a different city according the local news sight article Cuomo names first members to group tasked with exploring new Bills stadium.

Kind of surprised they are still in Buffalo. Talk about a dying city.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 05:28 PM   #17
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
I'll take Carr, but not with the number 1 overall pick. I definitely won't take Manziel 1 overall. If it's not Bridgewater, I'm trading down. Texans have too much talent to be screwing around with a terrible quarterback.
I hear ya, bro. But I would only take Clowney #1. You can't pass up on a once a generation talent like that. The kid is a modern day Deacon Jones. I keep hearing about his lack of motivation. Well, he ain't making millions on College, so I think the Benjamins will be plenty of motivation for him to work hard.

I think we get a QB to develop in the 2nd round. If Schaub is willing to take a huge pay cut, we can keep him on board. I know his season went down the toilet in 2013, but I believe he can be a stop gap for one year at least.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 05:50 PM   #18
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
I hear ya, bro. But I would only take Clowney #1. You can't pass up on a once a generation talent like that. The kid is a modern day Deacon Jones. I keep hearing about his lack of motivation. Well, he ain't making millions on College, so I think the Benjamins will be plenty of motivation for him to work hard.

I think we get a QB to develop in the 2nd round. If Schaub is willing to take a huge pay cut, we can keep him on board. I know his season went down the toilet in 2013, but I believe he can be a stop gap for one year at least.
Only reason Schaub was down is because Foster wasn't doing well..
Old Feb 12, 2014, 06:41 PM   #19
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Kind of surprised they are still in Buffalo. Talk about a dying city.
Not unlike most of upstate ny. If they lose the bills the entire upstate will feel the pain
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:41 AM   #20
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
Not unlike most of upstate ny. If they lose the bills the entire upstate will feel the pain
Yes. However it always have been known that the Buffalo Bills constantly sellout every home game, constantly.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:45 PM   #21
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yes. However it always have been known that the Buffalo Bills constantly sellout every home game, constantly.
exactly why it is imperative that they do not leave
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:51 PM   #22
pTacRP
macrumors newbie

In evaluating Manning and his post season performances, how many QB's in the NFL have as many post season appearances as he does, and 3 SuperBowl appearances. Win or loose, he's there more than most, which means he's good. And I am a lifelong Broncos fan
pTacRP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 05:55 AM   #23
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
That's not true. Google Buffalo Bills TV blackout and you'll see several instances where the owner or local business bought up tickets to stop the blackout. Makes sense as they have been shedding population for 2 decades now.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:36 AM   #24
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Only reason Schaub was down is because Foster wasn't doing well..
While that certainly contributed to Schaub's bad season, I think there was more to it than that.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:27 AM   #25
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
While that certainly contributed to Schaub's bad season, I think there was more to it than that.
Agreed - I think it was a mixture of Schaub just getting older (and coming off an injury), bad O-Line protection, and horrendous play calling.

For instance that pick 6 against Seattle - Everyone and their mother in the stadium (and the rest of Texas for that matter) knew what play was going to be run before he stepped up to the line.

Their run game actually didn't do badly after Foster went down. Ben Tate will get paid a lot for his services this year.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion