Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:38 AM   #251
mysterytramp
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggs View Post
Harry Potter/Deathly Hallows Pt 1 before going to see part 2 soon
Saw it last night, very good. In fact, I probably liked it better than the book.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:44 AM   #252
Firestar
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravaroo View Post
SuckerPunch extended version.
That movie was really confusing. Especially at the begginning, and the end didn't help much.
Firestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:43 PM   #253
spencers
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStar View Post
That movie was really confusing. Especially at the begginning, and the end didn't help much.
Yeah, I turned it off after 15 minutes
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:43 AM   #254
Ravaroo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post
Yeah, I turned it off after 15 minutes
So you didn't make it to the first fight sequence with the giant samurai? You missed some eye candy then, but I understand.. the movie is a mess.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:59 AM   #255
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Saw the new Harry Potter with the wife last night as she's a fan who's read all the books. It was pretty good. We saw the 2D version and just to warn everyone the Batman: Dark Knight preview was not shown. I guess it's only in the 3D preview.

I have to say looking back I don't know if there's been any other series as "successful" as Harry Potter. I mean this is like the major epic of this generation. I just think it's a testament that the series could maintain it's momentum over the last decade and that each movie was a "quality" product. Can anyone else think of an 8 movie series that compares? Sure we have The Lord of the Rings, but that was a trilogy. To me, 8 movies is quite the feat of staying power. Any little thing could have seriously derailed it, but they kept it together.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:02 PM   #256
eternlgladiator
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscriv View Post
Saw the new Harry Potter with the wife last night as she's a fan who's read all the books. It was pretty good. We saw the 2D version and just to warn everyone the Batman: Dark Knight preview was not shown. I guess it's only in the 3D preview.

I have to say looking back I don't know if there's been any other series as "successful" as Harry Potter. I mean this is like the major epic of this generation. I just think it's a testament that the series could maintain it's momentum over the last decade and that each movie was a "quality" product. Can anyone else think of an 8 movie series that compares? Sure we have The Lord of the Rings, but that was a trilogy. To me, 8 movies is quite the feat of staying power. Any little thing could have seriously derailed it, but they kept it together.
I saw the batman trailer on the 2D version this weekend. It's on the warner brothers facebook page now. It's a tad lame and definitely a teaser but still very exciting.
eternlgladiator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:06 PM   #257
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternlgladiator View Post
I saw the batman trailer on the 2D version this weekend.
Now I'm even more confused. I wonder why the theater I went to didn't show it then?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:07 PM   #258
Firestar
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravaroo View Post
So you didn't make it to the first fight sequence with the giant samurai? You missed some eye candy then, but I understand.. the movie is a mess.
That movie was a mess. It had chances to be a great movie, but they just screwed it over with her mother dying then the dancing and the war and what not.

Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:29 PM   #259
aloofman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Not to diminish the feat of making that many successful movies in a row (after all, they could have sucked), but the success of the movies is largely because the books were so hugely successful first. There really is no comparable book-to-movie transition among other bestselling books out there, not as a series anyway.

Even the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy has had its popularity spread out over several decades, never reaching anywhere close to the kind of peak that the Harry Potter series did. The James Bond series was mostly based on the books of Ian Fleming, but spread out over far more movies and only a small fraction of James Bond movie fans have read the books too. It's hard to imagine a book series repeating the kind of popularity that the Harry Potter series has. Broadly popular with kids AND pulling in adults too? Pretty unlikely.

Personally, I was never curious to read the books and only saw the first movie before bailing on the series. The child actors' chirpy little accents had grown tiresome by the halfway mark and I didn't think the story was compelling enough to continue with it. It's hard to argue with the success of the franchise though.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:49 PM   #260
mscriv
macrumors 68040

James Bond is a great example that I didn't think of. You are right about the Harry Potter books laying a foundation for the success of the movies, but I think the movies have brought in an audience that never read the books. But, back to James Bond, there's some pretty serious staying power there as they've continued to churn out movies now for almost five decades. Yep, Dr. No was released in 1962. And, like you mentioned, I would agree that few have ever read an Ian Fleming novel.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:21 PM   #261
StephenCampbell
macrumors 6502a

Just saw Made in Dagenham last night. 6/10.
StephenCampbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:08 PM   #262
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Yep, Dr. No was released in 1962. And, like you mentioned, I would agree that few have ever read an Ian Fleming novel.
And so naturally, I read all the paperbacks in the series before Dr. No premiered.

I am both contrary, and old-er.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:47 PM   #263
Daffodil
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloofman View Post
Not to diminish the feat of making that many successful movies in a row (after all, they could have sucked), but the success of the movies is largely because the books were so hugely successful first. There really is no comparable book-to-movie transition among other bestselling books out there, not as a series anyway.

Even the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy has had its popularity spread out over several decades, never reaching anywhere close to the kind of peak that the Harry Potter series did. The James Bond series was mostly based on the books of Ian Fleming, but spread out over far more movies and only a small fraction of James Bond movie fans have read the books too. It's hard to imagine a book series repeating the kind of popularity that the Harry Potter series has. Broadly popular with kids AND pulling in adults too? Pretty unlikely.

Personally, I was never curious to read the books and only saw the first movie before bailing on the series. The child actors' chirpy little accents had grown tiresome by the halfway mark and I didn't think the story was compelling enough to continue with it. It's hard to argue with the success of the franchise though.

Saw the last HP tonight, and was pretty damn impressed. The series (of films, primarily) started out sort of mediocre, and there was a *huge* dip right around no. 5 that I didn't think they'd recover from, but kudos for pulling it off. I've practically only read good reviews of this last one, and thought it deserved them.

That being said, I'm a HP fan to begin with (although case in point - I won't go to the lengths of dressing up for the midnight premiere...)
Daffodil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:51 PM   #264
Love
macrumors 68000

Bowling for Columbine.

I might cry.
Love is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:03 PM   #265
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
Saw the last HP tonight, and was pretty damn impressed. The series (of films, primarily) started out sort of mediocre, and there was a *huge* dip right around no. 5 that I didn't think they'd recover from, but kudos for pulling it off. I've practically only read good reviews of this last one, and thought it deserved them.

That being said, I'm a HP fan to begin with (although case in point - I won't go to the lengths of dressing up for the midnight premiere...)
Agree. The HP books are terrific, and yes, I'd class myself as a fan; haven't seen all of the movies, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Bowling for Columbine.

I might cry.
Great movie, intelligent and damning. The "Brief History of America" was nothing short of superlatively hilarious - one of the sharpest pieces of historical observation and satire that I have ever seen condensed into a few minutes. Brilliant.

Just now, I'm watching the superb German movie, "The Lives of Others". Simply brilliant.

Cheers
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:55 AM   #266
Dagless
macrumors Core

Last night I was mostly watching Akira. Hadn't seen it since 2002, still great!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:56 AM   #267
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68010

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
Summer Wars on Blu-ray disc. One of best anime movies I've seen in many years.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:24 AM   #268
Firestar
macrumors 68020

HP's popularity was set when the books became popular, and there was eight of them, so of course they had to make movies for them.

Watched Ratottouille. I'm not exactly sure if that's the right spelling at all.

Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:32 AM   #269
fireshot91
macrumors 601

Coming from a huge fan of the Harry Potter series (Read every book, last couple got em on release, watched every movie), I was kind of disappointed that I couldn't see it on release-day. I would have loved to go to the midnight screening, but I had to get up at 6 the next day, and I can't function on 8 hours of sleep, much less 3. My friends went, and said they got various free goodies (Posters, some t-shirts, a Dark Mark temporary tattoo on their arms,etc).

Overall, I really liked the movie. It was definitely one of the better ones of the series. (I might even classify it as the best one released)

I'm looking forward to it's release on DVD.

All I'm mad about is the $18 it cost to see it...(IMAX 3D. My friends )
fireshot91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:21 PM   #270
Daffodil
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshot91 View Post
All I'm mad about is the $18 it cost to see it...(IMAX 3D. My friends )
Did you think it was worth it to see it in 3D? I really dislike 3D, so made a point of not seeing it as such...

But yeah, I agree that it's definitely one of the better HP movies, by far.
Daffodil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:50 AM   #271
Huntn
macrumors 604

Saw Harry Potty DH Pt2 last night- thumbs up!

Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:56 PM   #272
chuntian
macrumors newbie

Transformers 3
chuntian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:34 PM   #273
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Just got back from Captain America. I thought it was very well done and I really enjoyed the movie.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:42 PM   #274
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Just got back from Captain America. I thought it was very well done and I really enjoyed the movie.
It really was good, wasn't it? I loved it too.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:43 PM   #275
xxBURT0Nxx
Banned

Quote:
just saw this on friday as well... great movie!! Did you stay after the credits and see the Avengers trailer?

Watched a few others over the weekend too...

Source Code - cool movie with a nice little twist to it.
Horrible Bosses - pretty funny, i definitely enjoyed this one!
xxBURT0Nxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion