Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 27, 2011, 03:03 AM   #101
skunk
macrumors Demi-God
 
skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Republic of Ukistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I've read and it was mentioned in the movie, that if you are left handed and forced to write with your right hand, a stammer can develop. My Dad was forced to write with his right hand although he is left handed, but fortunately he did not develop a stutter. I am left handed but by the time I hit school in the 60's they had given up on forcing kids to make that switch. Did you grow out of it or took therapy?
I too was changed from left to right handed, but I retain some odd left handed quirks, like dealing cards (!), and incidentally I am left footed, too. I gradually trained myself out of the stammer, but it took many, many years, and I am still not entirely free of it. The one time I was completely free of it was during an acid trip when I was 20. It was an extraordinary, though all too short-lived, feeling of peace. Not exactly on the same level as addressing a nation, but I do remember vividly the crucifying agony of having to say grace before my entire school one lunchtime. I was nicknamed "Bertie" at school, strangely, by everybody, from the headmaster down...
__________________
"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by skunk; Jan 27, 2011 at 03:11 AM.
skunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:24 AM   #102
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
I too was changed from left to right handed, but I retain some odd left handed quirks, like dealing cards (!), and incidentally I am left footed, too. I gradually trained myself out of the stammer, but it took many, many years, and I am still not entirely free of it. The one time I was completely free of it was during an acid trip when I was 20. It was an extraordinary, though all too short-lived, feeling of peace. Not exactly on the same level as addressing a nation, but I do remember vividly the crucifying agony of having to say grace before my entire school one lunchtime. I was nicknamed "Bertie" at school, strangely, by everybody, from the headmaster down...
An ironic coincidence to the movie or more likely someone was up on their English history and was lacking in kindness, I presume.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:18 AM   #103
skunk
macrumors Demi-God
 
skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Republic of Ukistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
An ironic coincidence to the movie or more likely someone was up on their English history and was lacking in kindness, I presume.
There was nothing coincidental about it. It was hardly history back then in 1961.
__________________
"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
skunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:49 AM   #104
leekohler
Banned
 
leekohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
I just saw Buried- whoa. I need a Disney movie now.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 06:24 PM   #105
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
I just saw Buried- whoa. I need a Disney movie now.
I heard that was intense. Does "whoa" mean worthwile?

The Town- I'm puzzled why this movie got a high rating at IMBD. It just did not click for me. I had no sympathy with Ben Aflecks character. Jeremy Remmer who played a wild man in The Hurt Locker is once again playing a wild man but in case a decidedly meaner one in this movie. Hopefully he does not get type cast.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 06:08 PM   #106
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Startrek (2009)- The best dagone Startrek movie ever made. Puts the rest to shame.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 08:04 PM   #107
kellen
macrumors 68020
 
kellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
With all the snow here just been watching movies as the office is closed.

Survival of the Damned

Buried

The American

Devil

Takers

Wall Street

Saw 3D - watching now, reason I am on Macrumors to avoid watching the set ups. The violence is just too much, so I need a distraction.
__________________
Octo MP 2.8. 23" ACDs.
kellen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:47 PM   #108
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Starship Troopers (1997)- Despite being corny or campy (your choice), this movie has the best bug effects and outstanding CGI integration with the environment. The scene with what looks like thousands of bugs is incredible.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:33 PM   #109
kellen
macrumors 68020
 
kellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Rambo, watched first blood and first blood part II.
__________________
Octo MP 2.8. 23" ACDs.
kellen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:27 PM   #110
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellen View Post
Rambo, watched first blood and first blood part II.
The first Rambo was very entertaining.

In contrast just watched Envy (2004), a real stinker with Ben Stiller and Jack Black.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.

Last edited by Huntn; Feb 1, 2011 at 08:39 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:42 PM   #111
karsten
macrumors 6502a
 
karsten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
I just saw Buried- whoa. I need a Disney movie now.
yeah that was cool. just saw amnityville horror too with him in it that was ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellen View Post
With all the snow here just been watching movies as the office is closed.

Survival of the Damned

Buried

The American

Devil

Takers

Wall Street

Saw 3D - watching now, reason I am on Macrumors to avoid watching the set ups. The violence is just too much, so I need a distraction.
devil and american were cool, glad m. night is back on the scary stuff

finally got around to no country for old men, that was great, loved the pace of it
karsten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 06:34 AM   #112
statha
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Just finished Unstoppable movie, and Currently watch Iron Man 2, Both are nice Action movie and great story, I like Action movie most and also having huge collection in action types of movie.
__________________
Debts
statha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:44 AM   #113
karsten
macrumors 6502a
 
karsten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
just watched the girl who kicked the hornet's nest. that was a great trilogy it's got me hooked on swedish movies. check out let the right one in that's pretty creepy
karsten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 05:04 PM   #114
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
just watched the girl who kicked the hornet's nest. that was a great trilogy it's got me hooked on swedish movies. check out let the right one in that's pretty creepy
I know this comment will be criticized, but...
I have seen the first two 'Girl with/who' Swedish movies and they lack Hollywood polish. I've read all 3 books which were ok and am looking forward to the Danial Craig movie due in Dec11.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 05:36 PM   #115
karsten
macrumors 6502a
 
karsten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I know this comment will be criticized, but...
I have seen the first two 'Girl with/who' Swedish movies and they lack Hollywood polish. I've read all 3 books which were ok and am looking forward to the Danial Craig movie due in Dec11.
i found the pace refreshing. it was more story-focused with less extraneous stuff going on which was nice. what daniel craig movie is that?
karsten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:00 PM   #116
ender land
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Les Miserables (2006).
ender land is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 01:09 AM   #117
EazyWeazy3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
The Other Guys

The Town and Devil tomorrow.
EazyWeazy3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:03 PM   #118
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
i found the pace refreshing. it was more story-focused with less extraneous stuff going on which was nice. what daniel craig movie is that?
Daniel Craig is starring in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo due in Dec (I think).

Just watched Knight and Day. Ehh.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:11 PM   #119
yayitsezekiel
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Irvine, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Startrek (2009)- The best dagone Startrek movie ever made. Puts the rest to shame.
I definitely agree with that! I heard they are making a sequel..?
__________________
17" Unibody MacBook Pro w/8gb RAM
Verizon iPhone 4 32gb 16gb iPod Touch 1g 32gb iPod Touch 3g 4gb iPod Nano 1g 8gb iPod Nano 4g
yayitsezekiel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:25 PM   #120
karsten
macrumors 6502a
 
karsten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Daniel Craig is starring in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo due in Dec (I think).
you gotta be kidding. why..? what was wrong with the original? craig is pretty much a clone of nyquist as far as i can tell w/ mannerisms and stuff i dont see the point. i doubt they can capture the scandinavian death rocker look the original chick had either. definitely not a case where i want to see some watered-down american version
karsten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:16 AM   #121
lynnequintana
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: CA
I recently watched: Black Swan, The Social Network, & Inception
lynnequintana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 06:07 PM   #122
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayitsezekiel View Post
I definitely agree with that! I heard they are making a sequel..?
Sounds like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
you gotta be kidding. why..? what was wrong with the original? craig is pretty much a clone of nyquist as far as i can tell w/ mannerisms and stuff i dont see the point. i doubt they can capture the scandinavian death rocker look the original chick had either. definitely not a case where i want to see some watered-down american version
The original was not in English? Chance to make more money? More polished, big budget, movie? Watered down? That remains to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnequintana View Post
I recently watched: Black Swan, The Social Network, & Inception
How were they? I liked Inception.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 06:28 PM   #123
EazyWeazy3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Just popped in The A-Team.
EazyWeazy3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:43 PM   #124
gkarris
macrumors 604
 
gkarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: "No escape from Reality..."
"Futureworld" on DTV

Last I saw this was in the theater as a kid...

Wow, the acting is really, really, bad...

__________________
"This gate's plastic." Captain Carter, Stargate SG-1, "Touchstone"
gkarris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:13 AM   #125
EazyWeazy3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Just got around to watching The Town.

Good film.
EazyWeazy3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: iPad Air with games , movie watching etc Dahkot iPad 5 Mar 17, 2014 04:50 PM
Do your fans turn on when watching HD movie streams? coldjeanzzz MacBook Air 5 Jan 5, 2014 05:00 PM
iMac for gaming and movie watching? hacke iMac 7 Dec 31, 2012 01:28 PM
When using the rMBP's HDMI-out for movie watching... Magnanimoose MacBook Pro 4 Sep 19, 2012 12:19 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC