Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bvanderark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Hello, all - really appreciate anyone who can possibly help here. My 14 year old is really handy with technology stuff and would usually set everything up for us but we're run into some Christmas issues which are ruining the Christmas spirit over here.

Here is the issue - my wife had a 4-year old MacBook and we got her a new MacBook pro for Christmas. That is working fine. My brilliant plan was to give my 14 year old her old MacBook (upgraded from his current horrible Dell) but try to spruce it up with the latest software. So, I bought him the Mac Box Set with Snow Leopard, iWork, iLife, etc. He was very excited.

But, when he entered the Snow Leopard disk into the old MacBook and started working through the prompts, it then locked up and gave an error message something like 'not enough RAM to complete installation'. We tried to go back through Time Machine and just restore it to its previous settings but that doesn't seem to be working either.

So, the concern at this point is...

- we may have lost all my wife's history of pictures, emails, files, etc.

- we may have a shell of a computer that can't even function with the previous Tiger, let alone the latest Snow Leopard

My son is devastated and thinks he has screwed everything up. If you have any thoughts about how either to restore the history, or possibly upgrade to Snow Leopard on that machine - or in a perfect world, both, please drop a note back and let us know. I don't believe that we are in possession of the original Tiger disks in case that question comes up.

Thank you in advance for your time. Hoping for a Christmas miracle.

Last edited:

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
I would definitely recommend a completely clean install, with snow leopard and all that bit on it. Since you have time machine from what it sounds like, all your wife's files should be fine as long as you have the drive backed up on an external drive. Here is what I would do:

1. Make sure your wife's files get moved to her new machine by using the time machine back up tool.

2. Turn off the old MacBook. Restart it with the snow leopard disk in it. Once you turn the computer on, press command + c to boot from disk (I think. It's either this or command + d). And do a completely new install from that disk.

That should fix your issues. If it doesn't seem to, post back and let us know what's up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.