Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tinman623

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
I just opened an ipod shuffle for christmas today and decided id rather return it for store credit and get a better ipod instead. Can I still do this despite having opened it and syncing it already? I have all the stuff it came with and restored the ipod to factory setting. Is it eligible for return at an apple store?

PS it was bought from amazon.com

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
When I worked at Apple, we couldn't do that (accept a return for a product purchased from another store).

If you said that you got it as a gift and didn't have a receipt, the managers would scan the serial number. If it was purchased from any Apple store, they'd be able to re-print the receipt. If it was purchased from another company, it would say so. They never took in products purchased elsewhere, although you can try your local store and see what they say.

Also, if the seal was opened on the product, it couldn't be resold as new, so they charged a 10% restock fee.

ConnorTurnbull

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
United Kingdom
Yeah, as the above poster said, probably not. It would have had to been purchased from the last 14 days from an Apple Retail location and have a 10% restocking fee applied to be accepted for return.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
If you can't return it perhaps you can sell it online or something and perhaps get some of the money back that way.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
It was bought from amazon, so you can't return it to Apple..

And I believe amazon have a policy to not accept opened electronics returns. You should have judged that you'd need a bigger one before you opened it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.