Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris snell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
My father had a crazy Christmas today. Here's an excerpt from the e-mail he sent this evening:

Pretty amazing Christmas Story! Early this morning my 2005 Land Rover was stolen from the Marriott in Wichita Falls TX. The local police put me on hold, transferred me around and did nothing. My iPhone was in the car in between the seats and turned on. I tracked it using MobileMe Find My Phone to HWY 287 on the way to Decatur. When they exited the highway and headed on a Farm road for Justin TX a few miles away, I contacted the Justin Police and with the help of a very savvy operator we pinpointed the car at a Sonic. While I was on the phone with her, she said the officer sees your car and is going to make the arrest. A few minutes later she frantically calls me to start tracking the car again. The officer had handcuffed the suspects, sat one down on the curb while putting the other in the back seat. When he got back, the guy had Houdini'd the cuffs from behind his back to the front, fought with the officer and jumped in my car, dragged him and ran over him. I followed the car on the iPhone and directed the Highway Patrol to where he was - high speed chase ending with him flipping the Land Rover several times. The policeman is going to be fine - he is at the hospital with multiple bruises etc. The screenshot is where the car thieves ran over the policeman and escaped. I am just so thankful the policeman was not seriously hurt - I could care less about the car or the crook.

Azmx5

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2010
Wow thanks for sharing - glad everyone is going to be ok except for the scumbags that stole the rover. Hope they are locked away for a long time. Tracking it with an iPhone is a sweet deal.
What is with the original call to the police? Why didn't they act right away? Could have saved their fellow officer from a harrowing experience.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
News story:

http://texomashomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=112056

They falsely accredit the tracking to OnStar. Check out the video and the two winners who stole the truck.

I'm guessing they did it on purpose. Most people will understand OnStar without explanation. It would take longer and more explanation to say this thing on the phone that lets you track the phone that happened to be in the car (especially when they want to focus more on the fact the suspects were caught and that one had attacked the officer).

iTouch.lover22

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
I always hope if anyone is gonna steal my backpack with all my goodies, that my iPod/iPad is there to track :) Good to know it works sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.