Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeremyks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Ok im a newb. I have a 3gs 4.1 5.14.02. I have attempting to jailbreak and unlock via Pwnage. It wasn't working so I deciding to make the fatal mistake of deleting all content via the iphone option and it froze on the apple. (I have learned this was a big mistake). I have attempted to restore via itunes and received the error message this device isn't eligible for the requested build.
I was attempting the restore in DFU mode. Im running OS X 10.4.11 and I tunes 9.2.1.

I have tried to custom restore with ipsw 4.1 and 4.2 with no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Try DFU mode with 4.2.

You read all the warnings on the ipad baseband? It's the only way you can unlock at the moment and it has drawbacks.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Ok im a newb. I have a 3gs 4.1 5.14.02. I have attempting to jailbreak and unlock via Pwnage. It wasn't working so I deciding to make the fatal mistake of deleting all content via the iphone option and it froze on the apple. (I have learned this was a big mistake). I have attempted to restore via itunes and received the error message this device isn't eligible for the requested build.
I was attempting the restore in DFU mode. Im running OS X 10.4.11 and I tunes 9.2.1.

I have tried to custom restore with ipsw 4.1 and 4.2 with no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Yeah, the latest version is 4.2.1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history#4.2.1, so Apple won't sign older firmware. :)

You need to have your SHSH blobs on file to restore to an older firmware.

Also, 4.15.02 cannot be unlocked, you'd have to follow the Dev Team's advice on loading an iPad firmware to your device.

Lastly, nothing wrong with Erase All Content and Settings, if that's your intention. It's best used when selling your device however.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Yeah, the latest version is 4.2.1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history#4.2.1, so Apple won't sign older firmware. :)

You need to have your SHSH blobs on file to restore to an older firmware.

Also, 4.15.02 cannot be unlocked, you'd have to follow the Dev Team's advice on loading an iPad firmware to your device.

Lastly, nothing wrong with Erase All Content and Settings, if that's your intention. It's best used when selling your device however.

Sorry have to disagree with you. Erase All Content and settings is very misleading and gets lots of people into trouble. The label suggest it will only erase your data and settings. In reality it wipes the phone clean including the operating system and forces you to do a restore. To me there is everything wrong with that.

Jeremyks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Ok well I was able to use a friend computer with the 10.5 OS X and 10.1.1 itunes. It restored my iphone to a 4.2.1 and 5.15.04. Now I need to jailbreak and unlock to use a different carriers sim card. What the easiest and best way to do this?

Thanks

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Ok well I was able to use a friend computer with the 10.5 OS X and 10.1.1 itunes. It restored my iphone to a 4.2.1 and 5.15.04. Now I need to jailbreak and unlock to use a different carriers sim card. What the easiest and best way to do this?

Thanks

You can jailbreak and unlock it but you need to be aware of the implications of doing so.

The jailbreak for 4.2.1 on your phone will be tethered.

The phone can only be unlocked by upgrading the baseband to the 6.xx ipad baseband. There are some problems with this the most important of which is your GPS will no longer work, and you will no longer be able to update firmware normally in Itunes. You must use a custom firmware for future upgrades.

Knowing those facts if you still want to go ahead you can use redsnow to JB and update the baseband and then ultrasnow to unlock.

Jeremyks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Its my only option at this point.

Can I use pwnage and create a custom using ipsw iphone 4.2.1 and ipsw ipad 3.2.2 to jailbreak?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Sorry have to disagree with you. Erase All Content and settings is very misleading and gets lots of people into trouble. The label suggest it will only erase your data and settings. In reality it wipes the phone clean including the operating system and forces you to do a restore. To me there is everything wrong with that.
No problem, to me "Erase All Content And Settings" means it'll erase all content, OS included. As I said, I would recommend it more for use when selling your phone so that your data cannot be potentially recovered by the new owner. :)

Its my only option at this point.

Can I use pwnage and create a custom using ipsw iphone 4.2.1 and ipsw ipad 3.2.2 to jailbreak?
Yes, as I posted above, you need to read the Dev Team's advice/instructions on loading iPad baseband on your device.

Jeremyks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
I got a message iphone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.

iphone1,2_4.2.1_8c148_Custom_Restore.ipsw.

This is the file I tried to restore via Iphone.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I got a message iphone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.

iphone1,2_4.2.1_8c148_Custom_Restore.ipsw.

This is the file I tried to restore via Iphone.

That's the wrong firmware, that's for iPhone3G, you need the one for 3GS: iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Restore.ipsw

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK

Actually no it doesn't. I sold a 3GS a few days ago, hit 'Erase All Content and Settings' and then afterwards the device went to the activation screen, not the Recovery Mode screen.

Connected to iTunes and it activated without installing iOS

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
If you aren't jail broken and use the erase all data it does what the name says and makes it like brand new ready to go. If you are jail broken and use it bad things happen so I hear and you need to do a restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.