Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPowers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
Arizona
As i've been using it i've noticed my ipod has been working fine for the longest time, but reciently there are 2 things I notice that happen occasionally.

1. Once in a while when I plug an ipod into the comptuer it freezes, though this hasn't happened in about a month now.

2. Sometimes I hear clicking sounds like what you hear a lot on like older mac laptops that usually occurs when the mac has to process a lot (kind of?)anyways reciently I hear that on my ipod but it hasn't before.

So I just wanted to know is there anything I should worry about that could happen in the future or will it likely work just fine?

Ryu Darragh

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
As i've been using it i've noticed my ipod has been working fine for the longest time, but reciently there are 2 things I notice that happen occasionally.

1. Once in a while when I plug an ipod into the comptuer it freezes, though this hasn't happened in about a month now.

2. Sometimes I hear clicking sounds like what you hear a lot on like older mac laptops that usually occurs when the mac has to process a lot (kind of?)anyways reciently I hear that on my ipod but it hasn't before.

So I just wanted to know is there anything I should worry about that could happen in the future or will it likely work just fine?

This is "Drive Thermal Recal" and is very much like the symptoms a standard HD gets. If doing a complete dump/restore to factory/reload does not cure the problem, the drive may be experiencing early symptoms of impending drive failure.

If you don't have all your music somewhere else, back thap puppy up!

It may keep working for a very long time, but it does not hurt to take steps now. When it starts to affect the music, it may be time for a new one.

iPowers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
Arizona
The strange thing though is i've had this ipod since June and the day after I experienced this issue it went away. Do I still have to think that could happen or should I wait until another more serious symptom than that one occurs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.