Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Last Sunday I take my PB out of my bag and BANG I bump it against a table. I go to check to make sure nothing was damaged but to my horror/shock I have this :eek: (see pic)

I have yet to try to see if I could still use an Ethernet cord, will do that later on to night. What do you all think? Will I still be able to use the port? Luckily it was not a USB or Firewire port and thankfully it has airport.

I just hope nothing else was damaged. I am guessing I can't use apple care. Right?

Attachments

• ethernet_powerbook.jpg
    ethernet_powerbook.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 114

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
AppleCare won't cover it (not a warranty item), but, as long as you can cram a cable in there, it should work just fine.

Edit: I wouldn't try screwing with fixing it, or at least wouldn't apply too much pressure. If the port works, I'd leave it as-is and just see it as adding "character" to your PB.

Sorry, though. :(

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
jsw said:
AppleCare won't cover it (not a warranty item), but, as long as you can cram a cable in there, it should work just fine.

Edit: I wouldn't try screwing with fixing it, or at least wouldn't apply too much pressure. If the port works, I'd leave it as-is and just see it as adding "character" to your PB.

Sorry, though. :(

Was not even going to try to screw with it at all. Knew that AppleCare wouldn't cover it. I just had to ask to reasure myself of that info. Thanks.

"character"....Now I can show it off to friends with pride and show them the mark of passage or whatever :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
joepunk said:
"character"....Now I can show it off to friends with pride and show them the mark of passage or whatever :D
I'm pretty sure it got that scar opening a can of whoop-ass on a Dell laptop. ;)

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
If you're the adventurous type, you could take off the bottom case (which basically requires complete disassembly :() and (VERY CAREFULLY) tap out the dent with a hammer or some such object. The port itself should be just fine though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.