Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Of the countless numbers of reasons people should jailbreak their iDevices, a new one has been added.

Ryan Petrich, the genius behind FullForce (a hack that allows iPhone-only apps to run full and natively on an iPad), release RetinaPad. This hack allows iPhone apps that contain retina display graphics to be used in pixel-double mode. See my comparison screenshots below. Click here for my full article on RetinaPad (with more comparisons!).

This is seriously amazing stuff. I was ecstatic to see this in Cydia. Real Racing 2 is the game I play the most on my iPad. Being able to play that game with its awesome high-resolution graphics on an iPad (without waiting for the iPad-specific version to be released) is really nice.

code2006

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2010
Of the countless numbers of reasons people should jailbreak their iDevices, a new one has been added.

Ryan Petrich, the genius behind FullForce (a hack that allows iPhone-only apps to run full and natively on an iPad), release RetinaPad. This hack allows iPhone apps that contain retina display graphics to be used in pixel-double mode. See my comparison screenshots below. Click here for my full article on RetinaPad (with more comparisons!).

This is seriously amazing stuff. I was ecstatic to see this in Cydia. Real Racing 2 is the game I play the most on my iPad. Being able to play that game with its awesome high-resolution graphics on an iPad (without waiting for the iPad-specific version to be released) is really nice.

sweet
will try this whith my ipad and a few games incl fifa 11 :)
thanks mate

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I'm really impressed with Skype. It did work with FullForce, but would often freeze or crash. Definitely worth the $3 still.

cdubz

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
After reading this post I went to cydia to purchase.It says that you need 4.2os to download,is there any way to put this on my JB'ed 3.2 ipad?

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
After reading this post I went to cydia to purchase.It says that you need 4.2os to download,is there any way to put this on my JB'ed 3.2 ipad?

Nope, I don't think there is. The tethered 4.2.1 jailbreak is great. Being tethered isn't as bad as people may think. I can't remember the last time I've had to reboot my iPad.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Great thanks for this, sir! Definitely gonna give it a shot.

In regards to being tethered, if you have 4.2b3 SHSH saved you can untether! I just did today :D

True, but the untethered jailbreak still had a few bugs (some apps will crash... I think iBooks is one of them). They've been making great progress though.

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
Great thanks for this, sir! Definitely gonna give it a shot.

In regards to being tethered, if you have 4.2b3 SHSH saved you can untether! I just did today :D

Don't you have to be a developer to use beta versions? If so, then "the rest of us" will have to wait for an untethered JB. As for a tethered JB, if you turn your iDevice off, when you turn it back on you have to rejailbreak, right? That's a bit of an inconvenience. But it doesn't matter if you don't use a Mac. :p No matter what, I'll have to wait.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I installed RetinaPad on my wifes iPad and have been real happy with it. Sure, I would prefer that more apps take advantage of the additional screen real estate, but at least with RetinaPad, it is not rubbing it in your face as badly with such jagged doubling.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Did they ever fix that annoying message upon launch?

Even with it enabled, it used to say something like "please quit the app to enable RetinaPad" even after it was enabled and in use.

Don't you have to be a developer to use beta versions? If so, then "the rest of us" will have to wait for an untethered JB. As for a tethered JB, if you turn your iDevice off, when you turn it back on you have to rejailbreak, right? That's a bit of an inconvenience. But it doesn't matter if you don't use a Mac. :p No matter what, I'll have to wait.

Hey yes you need to be a developer to have access to the 4.2 beta file.

Honestly, being tethered was not even a big deal at all. Think about how many times you actually turn your iDevice completely off...probably never, right? But you are correct, if it gets turned off, you plug it into the computer, run redsn0w, boot tethered, and follow the onscreen steps. Literally takes 1 minutes.

coasterswim

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
True, but the untethered jailbreak still had a few bugs (some apps will crash... I think iBooks is one of them). They've been making great progress though.

iBooks works just fine for me on 4.2.1 untethered JB with "Jailbreak Monte".

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN

Honestly, being tethered was not even a big deal at all. Think about how many times you actually turn your iDevice completely off...probably never, right? But you are correct, if it gets turned off, you plug it into the computer, run redsn0w, boot tethered, and follow the onscreen steps. Literally takes 1 minutes.

Here's the dilema: I actually turn off my iPad, which is what I would use redsn0w for. But, my PC takes a solid 2 minutes to boot up. :p Plus, redsn0w is Mac only. :(

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Here's the dilema: I actually turn off my iPad, which is what I would use redsn0w for. But, my PC takes a solid 2 minutes to boot up. :p Plus, redsn0w is Mac only. :(

2 minutes?!?! Time to upgrade.

The Windows version of the redsn0w 0.9.7 beta is actually somewhere (or so I've heard).

A lot of Windows-only users are using 10.6.x virtual machines with VMWare and it works fine.

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010

You do not neccessarily need to be a Dev to get the betas. I am not a Dev, did not pay anyone for a spot on a dev list, and I ran the Gold Masters. I do not wish to hijack the thread so PM me if you have questions.

Victor

Mirai 11

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2005
The Gold Master's don't require you to be a developer.
Only the Betas such as 4.3 Beta 1 will require you to give your Developer ID so you can use it on your iOS device.
Hopefully, as good as this utility is, that this problem will be resolved with iPad 2.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think you've been misinformed - I've used redsn0w on my work PC to boot thethered on my iPad fine.

Correct, he is very misinformed, no surprising he is having issues (Which are not really issues at all with the device but "users" problem).

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
2 minutes?!?! Time to upgrade.

The Windows version of the redsn0w 0.9.7 beta is actually somewhere (or so I've heard).

A lot of Windows-only users are using 10.6.x virtual machines with VMWare and it works fine.

Yeah, 2 minutes. The PC is over 6 years old. That's prehistoric by today's standards. :p Redsn0w released beta 6 recently for Mac, but I had located a version of beta 5 for the PC & downloaded it. I usually don't look for virtual machine software, but I was aware of running Mac OS on a Windows PC. I may have to check out VMWare.

jazz290

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
I'm hoping someone can help me. I've tried this on Slacker, Monster.com, AP Mobile, and Time Out New York.

Every time I launch, it asks if I want to use RetinaPad. I confirm and then it tells me to kill the app in the switcher bar. So I go back to the home screen, kill the app, and relaunch. Nothing happens and I go back to the two dialog boxes.

Also, apps I select from the Settings -> Extensions -> RetinaPad list do not apply the "On" for the apps I select. If I select an app, then go to another menu and come back, nothing has been applied (i.e., they're all on "Off" again).

I've tried reinstalling and also removing and installing again with no luck.

Thanks for you help.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
I'm hoping someone can help me. I've tried this on Slacker, Monster.com, AP Mobile, and Time Out New York.

Every time I launch, it asks if I want to use RetinaPad. I confirm and then it tells me to kill the app in the switcher bar. So I go back to the home screen, kill the app, and relaunch. Nothing happens and I go back to the two dialog boxes.

Also, apps I select from the Settings -> Extensions -> RetinaPad list do not apply the "On" for the apps I select. If I select an app, then go to another menu and come back, nothing has been applied (i.e., they're all on "Off" again).

I've tried reinstalling and also removing and installing again with no luck.

Thanks for you help.

What version are you running? This is very important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.