Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:31 PM   #1
jasmine84
macrumors member

Can iMovie 11 import and export 1080i HD video?

Hello! I got a Sony HDR-XR150 for Christmas which shoots in full-HD, 1080i (1920x1080) blu-ray quality video. I am trying to find out if iMovie can import this video at the full quality, edit it, send it to iDVD, and burn a DVD at this same highest 1080i quality. Can it do it, or do I need to buy other editing software?

I have iMovie 11, and a MBP 2.53 GHz core i5 with 4GB ram, 500GB HD. Any help would be greatly appreciated... I have been contracted to go to Mexico in March to video my friends wedding, and I need the absolute best quality I can get, so I'll buy software if iLife can't cut it. But I'm comfy with iLife and would love to use it if it's capable of handling the video quality. Thanks!!
jasmine84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Cam1
macrumors newbie

iMovie 11 can import and export up to 1080p footage.

Check out my youtube channel and my website for more iMovie tips:

http://www.imoviehowto.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/imoviehowto
Cam1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:26 PM   #3
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine84 View Post
Hello! I got a Sony HDR-XR150 for Christmas which shoots in full-HD, 1080i (1920x1080) blu-ray quality video. I am trying to find out if iMovie can import this video at the full quality, edit it, send it to iDVD, and burn a DVD at this same highest 1080i quality. Can it do it, or do I need to buy other editing software?

I have iMovie 11, and a MBP 2.53 GHz core i5 with 4GB ram, 500GB HD. Any help would be greatly appreciated... I have been contracted to go to Mexico in March to video my friends wedding, and I need the absolute best quality I can get, so I'll buy software if iLife can't cut it. But I'm comfy with iLife and would love to use it if it's capable of handling the video quality. Thanks!!
1080i is not Blu-Ray quality. 1080p is. Besides a slight difference in motion, it's been my experience that you won't see any difference in quality when it's been converted and de-interlaced (and if you are struggling to see it then there's a solid chance the client will never see it unless you point it out). Plus, if you're exporting it to iDVD to make a disc your video output will be 480p regardless. Unless you have a Blu-Ray burner that is. My advice would be that you're over thinking specs that no longer have any relevance unless you're working in broadcast and need to abide by broadcast standards. If you're truly worried about what it's going to look like I'd suggest shooting some test footage and importing it and see for yourself. Hope this helps!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:37 PM   #4
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine84 View Post

1080i is not Blu-Ray quality. 1080p is. Besides a slight difference in motion, it's been my experience that you won't see any difference in quality when it's been converted and de-interlaced (and if you are struggling to see it then there's a solid chance the client will never see it unless you point it out). Plus, if you're exporting it to iDVD to make a disc your video output will be 480p regardless. Unless you have a Blu-Ray burner that is. My advice would be that you're over thinking specs that no longer have any relevance unless you're working in broadcast and need to abide by broadcast standards. If you're truly worried about what it's going to look like I'd suggest shooting some test footage and importing it and see for yourself. Hope this helps!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Hope this helps!
Well it might do, but the OP has probably figured it out over the past 18 months.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:30 AM   #6
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Braine View Post
Well it might do, but the OP has probably figured it out over the past 18 months.
HA!!! I didn't even see the date!! How the heck did that make it's way back up to the top? Oh well.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Quote:
How the heck did that make it's way back up to the top?
That's something I always wonder. I think the oldest I've seen is seven years!!

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Tags
1080i, imovie 11, sony camcorder