Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasmine84

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Toronto ON
Hello! I got a Sony HDR-XR150 for Christmas which shoots in full-HD, 1080i (1920x1080) blu-ray quality video. I am trying to find out if iMovie can import this video at the full quality, edit it, send it to iDVD, and burn a DVD at this same highest 1080i quality. Can it do it, or do I need to buy other editing software?

I have iMovie 11, and a MBP 2.53 GHz core i5 with 4GB ram, 500GB HD. Any help would be greatly appreciated... I have been contracted to go to Mexico in March to video my friends wedding, and I need the absolute best quality I can get, so I'll buy software if iLife can't cut it. But I'm comfy with iLife and would love to use it if it's capable of handling the video quality. Thanks!!

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Hello! I got a Sony HDR-XR150 for Christmas which shoots in full-HD, 1080i (1920x1080) blu-ray quality video. I am trying to find out if iMovie can import this video at the full quality, edit it, send it to iDVD, and burn a DVD at this same highest 1080i quality. Can it do it, or do I need to buy other editing software?

I have iMovie 11, and a MBP 2.53 GHz core i5 with 4GB ram, 500GB HD. Any help would be greatly appreciated... I have been contracted to go to Mexico in March to video my friends wedding, and I need the absolute best quality I can get, so I'll buy software if iLife can't cut it. But I'm comfy with iLife and would love to use it if it's capable of handling the video quality. Thanks!!

1080i is not Blu-Ray quality. 1080p is. Besides a slight difference in motion, it's been my experience that you won't see any difference in quality when it's been converted and de-interlaced (and if you are struggling to see it then there's a solid chance the client will never see it unless you point it out). Plus, if you're exporting it to iDVD to make a disc your video output will be 480p regardless. Unless you have a Blu-Ray burner that is. My advice would be that you're over thinking specs that no longer have any relevance unless you're working in broadcast and need to abide by broadcast standards. If you're truly worried about what it's going to look like I'd suggest shooting some test footage and importing it and see for yourself. Hope this helps!

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011

1080i is not Blu-Ray quality. 1080p is. Besides a slight difference in motion, it's been my experience that you won't see any difference in quality when it's been converted and de-interlaced (and if you are struggling to see it then there's a solid chance the client will never see it unless you point it out). Plus, if you're exporting it to iDVD to make a disc your video output will be 480p regardless. Unless you have a Blu-Ray burner that is. My advice would be that you're over thinking specs that no longer have any relevance unless you're working in broadcast and need to abide by broadcast standards. If you're truly worried about what it's going to look like I'd suggest shooting some test footage and importing it and see for yourself. Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.