Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:39 PM   #1
jlyanks85
macrumors 6502a

Dust behind imac screen.

As OCD as I am with brand new stuff. I check my electronics all the time to make sure their in perfect order, and noticeD dust etched under my 27" imac that I can't get off. So obviously it's inside where I can't get access to cleaning it off.

What do the workers making these computers forget to wipe the screens off before they put them on?

Now it's not notiecable unless you look with a flashlight in the dark, but still annoys me.

Does applecare even fix a issue like this?
jlyanks85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Deeya
macrumors member

I had a similar problem which really had me bummed, because I figured it was stuck pixels on an otherwise perfect machine. I didn't feel like bickering over one or two spots, so I let it go, but it kept annoying me, so after some research I decided to remove the glass and clean the screen.

Just get some suction cups and some compressed air or a static free cloth, clean the screen and attach the cups on the top corners, and very, VERY carefully pull the glass away from the screen. There are tabs on the bottom of the glass, so you have to tilt it back, out and then lift it up. Watch a video if you need better description.

Once you have it removed, carefully clean the glass of dust, and replace in the opposite way.

Wear some latex gloves so you don't get any oils on the inside of the glass. It took me about 15 minutes of cleaning, replacing, cleaning, replacing to get every last spec of dust (only because I'm OCD) but it was worth the $2 I spent on the suction cups. After seeing how easy it really was, I'm going to probably install an SSD and an eSata port.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 06:02 PM   #3
jlyanks85
macrumors 6502a

Wow I didn't even realize they had youtube videos on how to do this. The suction cup takes the glass right off. I thought apple had some type of special glue on and they didn't to fix this.

I'm going to have to buy some now. Looks very easy to do.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Deeya
macrumors member

It's easy to do, but take your time and do it carefully because the glass seems very flimsy, one little tug in the wrong way and it could crack/break. It requires some force to pull it away from the magnets, so if you aren't being careful and just wail on it, you could wind up bending a tab and putting stress on the glass.

I found some shower hook style suction cups at Wally World that give you a nice little handle to hold onto, I believe they were $1.97
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:43 PM   #5
jlyanks85
macrumors 6502a

I had a suction cup laying around and tried it. I got the dust I had in there off, but the thing is, dust travels so fast, new dust gets inside. Every time I try same off stuff. I used one of the cloths that your supposed to use for a screen like this.

Maybe using a can of compressed air would be a better idea?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:12 AM   #6
l.a.rossmann
macrumors 6502a

It's not about forgetting to wipe it. It doesn't matter how much you wipe, if it's in the air it'll get stuck in there. You can wipe dust off - in the amount of time it takes to remove your hand and reseal the glass, more than what you wiped off will find its way in.

I'm confident there will be more dust behind there if you open it. Maybe it'll be in a less noticeable spot, but it'll get in there.

Buy some HEPA filters and do it in a small room. I suggest the bathroom, and a Honeywell 50250-N. Less air to filter.

Last edited by l.a.rossmann; Dec 29, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
l.a.rossmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:30 AM   #7
goombamd
macrumors member

I had that too!

I just got a new 27"
I thought I had a dead pixel, but if you look at the screen from different angles.. the "pixel" moves as if it's floating in front of the LCD so I think it's a spec of dust.

Oh well, only one that I noticed.
goombamd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:05 PM   #8
Deeya
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.a.rossmann View Post
I'm confident there will be more dust behind there if you open it. Maybe it'll be in a less noticeable spot, but it'll get in there.
That isn't the case, provided you use the sprayer cans and work meticulously. I was able to get all the dust out, when there was a single speck I just popped the glass back a tiny bit and using the red nozzle on the can I was able to get a quick shot of air and dislodge the dust, and put the glass back. Without the air, I can imagine it would be tough, because your skin is going to make most of the dust particles, and having to use the cloth you're going to have to wipe a lot.

I used the cloth to wipe off the panel not the glass, and to clean the outside. I used canned air for the back of the glass and the dust removal.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Poob Bubes
macrumors 6502

Just take it to the Apple Store and they will do this for you. I had to leave mine over night, but the next day all was good.
Poob Bubes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 06:10 PM   #10
jlyanks85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.a.rossmann View Post
It's not about forgetting to wipe it. It doesn't matter how much you wipe, if it's in the air it'll get stuck in there. You can wipe dust off - in the amount of time it takes to remove your hand and reseal the glass, more than what you wiped off will find its way in.

Buy some HEPA filters and do it in a small room. I suggest the bathroom, and a Honeywell 50250-N. Less air to filter.
That's exactly what is happening to me. I wipe and wipe and wipe, put the glass back on to only to find more dust has traveled inside the screen within seconds. It's a never ending process to get rid of this lol.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac