Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Aalborg, Denmark
After not being able to find one, I finally got one :D I got the 36.7 GB edition, for about $150 (naughty)... Installing it took about 3 minutes (main time factor was my shakin' nervous handds :p ) Booted up.... It worked :D

Installed Panther on it.... and now it boots up in like the half time as when it was on my 250 GB Maxtor :eek: Everything feels a -lot- faster too now :cool: Probably due to the VM being quite that bit faster....

In terms of loudness, I wouldn't say it's much worse than the Maxtors, Apple bundle with their computers... Sure, the seek/read/write sounds are a bit loud, but it's definitely possible to ignore it... heck, I sleep in the same room as it :p

If there's anyone in here, who's contemplating to get one of these drives, I can only say: GET IT :D

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
northen said:
After not being able to find one, I finally got one :D I got the 36.7 GB edition, for about $150 (naughty)... Installing it took about 3 minutes (main time factor was my shakin' nervous handds :p ) Booted up.... It worked :D

Installed Panther on it.... and now it boots up in like the half time as when it was on my 250 GB Maxtor :eek: Everything feels a -lot- faster too now :cool: Probably due to the VM being quite that bit faster....

In terms of loudness, I wouldn't say it's much worse than the Maxtors, Apple bundle with their computers... Sure, the seek/read/write sounds are a bit loud, but it's definitely possible to ignore it... heck, I sleep in the same room as it :p

If there's anyone in here, who's contemplating to get one of these drives, I can only say: GET IT :D

I wish they made serial ata to firewire hard drive enclosures. Can you imagine hooking it up to a Mac mini and booting of the drive. It would fly!!

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
kkapoor said:
I wish they made serial ata to firewire hard drive enclosures. Can you imagine hooking it up to a Mac mini and booting of the drive. It would fly!!

Nah, the firewire would be a bottleneck, capping max transfer rates @~40MB/sec and increasing latency and access time..

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
Hoef said:
Thinking about it ..... Not looking forward to reinstall OS + applications

I'm in the same boat. Have now decided to wait until Tiger (when I'd want to do a fresh install anyway) and get it all sorted at the same time.

northen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Aalborg, Denmark
Brize said:
I'm in the same boat. Have now decided to wait until Tiger (when I'd want to do a fresh install anyway) and get it all sorted at the same time.
When is Tiger supposed to be out anyway? :p

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I'll probably wait until the 10k drives get into the 250GB range before I buy, although my SATA controller has one channel left - and it's tempting.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
northen said:
I got the 36.7 GB edition, for about $150 (naughty)...

For $150 you could have got the 74GB model from newegg

Sorry to rain on your parade, I was just surprised that you paid that much, and that you had a hard time finding one.

northen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Aalborg, Denmark
Laslo Panaflex said:

Sorry to rain on your parade, I was just surprised that you paid that much, and that you had a hard time finding one.
I don't live in the US, and subsequently can't shop from NewEgg.

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
I've got two of the 10K RPM Raptors running RAID 0 in my WinXP gaming PC. You think one is fast? You ain't seen NOTHIN' yet!!!

I LOVE these drives, and I too am waiting for them to increase in storage capacity, I'd swap out the drives in my G5 in a second when they hit 250GB. I need space more than I need speed in my Mac unfortunately. :(

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
The Raptor drives are great. My girlfriend has one of the 74GB drives in her PowerMac G5 and it's blazing fast as a boot drive. It's definitely been worth the money. Congrats.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Laslo Panaflex said:

$150 isn't that much for a Raptor if you liive in scandinavia, everything costs twice here compared to the US..

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
cluthz said:
Nah, the firewire would be a bottleneck, capping max transfer rates @~40MB/sec and increasing latency and access time..

Damn it, you just ruined my pipe dream! :)

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Lord Blackadder said:
I'll probably wait until the 10k drives get into the 250GB range before I buy, although my SATA controller has one channel left - and it's tempting.
Don't hold your breath; it will be a couple of years, at least, before you see 10K drives that big. Due to the centrifugal forces involved in 10K and 15K drives, they have to cut the plater diameter down to keep the drive from flying apart. Then there's the heat problem. You might see a reliable 150 GB drive in a year or so, but it will be expensive for a while.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
io_burn said:
I've got two of the 10K RPM Raptors running RAID 0 in my WinXP gaming PC. You think one is fast? You ain't seen NOTHIN' yet!!!

Totally off topic, but how the hell have you got so many computers?! And why?

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
cluthz said:
$150 isn't that much for a Raptor if you liive in scandinavia, everything costs twice here compared to the US..

Indeed. Sadly. :/ I hope the raptors would hit around 150gb soon.. I'm really interested in getting one.. the problem is I need some space too. this 160gb just isn't quite enough :(

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
io_burn said:

Just out of curiosity, but why do you need RAID 0 in a gaming rig? It's not like it drastically improves gaming performance. Do you use the rig for HD-heavy apps too, I'm assuming?

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Hemingray said:
Just out of curiosity, but why do you need RAID 0 in a gaming rig? It's not like it drastically improves gaming performance. Do you use the rig for HD-heavy apps too, I'm assuming?

You've never loaded a map in Doom 3. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.