Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Dec 29, 2010, 04:42 AM   #1
jerrduford
macrumors newbie

jailbroken iphone 3G - cant get to work with tmobile

I recently purchased a used jailbroken iphone 3rd generation.

i have tmobile service and was told switching the phone from att to tmobile would be an easy process. It has turned out to be everything but.

i put my tmobile sim card in the iphone and reconfigged several different ways as are shown on various credible websites. Ive tried changing the network config apn from internet2.voicestream.com, epc.tmobile.com, and wap.voicestream.com multiple times. Each time i change all 3 apns. Ive tried changing just one, used all 3 codes, disabled wifi/3g, and on each power on i get that no network is found. I always make sure to leave data roaming turned on.

the phone is in fact jailbroken. It has a black background, jailbreak software, etc. Is the phone possibly not unlocked? Im not sure what my issue is, but any constructive input would be greatly appreciated.
jerrduford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:14 AM   #2
labman
macrumors 604

tmobile 3g isn't supported it's on a different frequency the att you can only use edge on tmobile.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:41 AM   #3
jerrduford
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
tmobile 3g isn't supported it's on a different frequency the att you can only use edge on tmobile.
What's edge and how do i use that rather than the alternative?
jerrduford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:06 AM   #4
Ivan P
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Ivan P
No offense, but if you don't even know what EDGE is then maybe you shouldn't be trying to hack and unlock your phone...
Ivan P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:10 AM   #5
djvic
macrumors newbie

Can you make a call with t-mobile sim? If so, the phone is unlocked.

As for the data (EDGE), you will need to have data plan with t-mobile. Mine is the $9.99 unlimited data and uses internet2.voicestream.com APN. Remenber to have 3G and Data Roaming both OFF.

Hope this helps!
djvic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks