Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Hi,

I replaced my stock hard drive yesterday with a new ssd. I cloned the original drive to the new ssd using carbon copy cloner.

When i started up word 2011 it asked me to activate it again.

I put in my activation code and it worked fine but i think you can only activate it twice.

Is this normal to have happen?

mjustice

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
I just had this happen to me. Yes, it's by design. The activation code/license key is tied to a hardware-based ID on the hard drive. I'm not home to break out my box and key information so I was stuck until I deleted the existing file that has the key in it. Now I am in 30-day mode until I get home.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
My concern is that i now have used the key code twice and if i get yet another hard drive in the future will i be able to use the code again. I think it's 2 installs only.

87vert

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
My concern is that i now have used the key code twice and if i get yet another hard drive in the future will i be able to use the code again. I think it's 2 installs only.

usually in that case it will fail to activate and you will have call and they can deactivate the other two installs.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
Activation?

I guess I've had my head in the sand. I didn't realize that Office 2011 uses activation. That sucks. I hate worrying about activation when I clone drives or replace drives or whatever.

A bunch of Adobe stuff that requires activation is already enough of a pain.

TheSnowman

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
And yet again...

Same thing on my wife's MacBook Pro, put in a Samsung EVO 500 SSD, Mac Office needs Product Key and she can't find it, argh,,,,
:(

TheSnowman

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
Yikes! What would happen if you buy a new Mac and use Time Machine to move everything over?

He is right

" After you activate the software product, a specific product key is assigned to the computer hardware on which you installed the product. "

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
As stupid as it is, this is how it work.

And there is no way to deactivate it. And when I call in to activate, it disconnects me.

And Microsoft wonders why people pirate their software.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
As stupid as it is, this is how it work.

And there is no way to deactivate it. And when I call in to activate, it disconnects me.

And Microsoft wonders why people pirate their software.

Search around; there's another phone number somewhere. I got through and spend literally an hour with a tech trying to authorize it on a new computer I migrated to. Finally it worked. But the next day when I started the computer again it refused to work. Sigh.

So I bought a copy of Nisus Pro. It wasn't worth the hassle to try again; I'm never going back to Office given that I don't even get what I paid for. Or I'll just resort to pirating my own copy somehow. Ridiculous.

philxor

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2010
Really strange, but I just restored/migrated a MBA Time Capsule image onto a new rMBP I just purchased. Just about everything worked great, but I couldn't start Word/Excel/Powerpoint, they would all crash because some system libraries weren't migrated over for some reason. Outlook ran fine.

I fully expected to enter the activation key again, since I've had to do it before when migrating and when installing a larger SSD in my MBA.

I ran the Office update utility and updated to the latest Office 2011 version, and miraculously the programs started working again. And I was never asked for my key...

MacsAre1

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2005
Florida
Had the same problem when I upgraded my SSD. I also upgraded to Mavericks at the same time with a clean install on the new SSD. Office didn't let me activate. I don't like to mess around playing games like this with software I PAID FOR. So I installed a version without activation that I found floating around the interwebs. (Just make sure you are running virus scanning software if you try such things.)

Edit: Is there a necromancer at work here? Just realized this is a three year old thread!

Last edited:

TheSnowman

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
Edit: Is there a necromancer at work here? Just realized this is a three year old thread!

Yeah, that would be me, but this was the only title that fit my search exactly, seemed to be a still relevant and existing topic / problem, so why not?

Thanks for all replies, still have the situation and long Australia Day weekend down here so no resolution until next week.

:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.