Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 29, 2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Bo Eder
macrumors newbie

Dual Cinema Displays?

Hi everybody, new guy here. I've been a mac guy since 1990 and for the last five years have settled into a nice PowerMac G5 with the dual 2.0 processors with the 20" Apple Cinema Display.

I did search on this but couldn't find anything specific, but I am considering adding a second 23" Apple Cinema Display to my set-up for a dual monitor workstation.

I have the ATI Radeon 9600 video card with two DVI ports. I have my 20" plugged in to port 1 and it's running at 1680x1050 resolution (the highest). When I add the second monitor, will BOTH monitors be able to run at their highest resolutions? Or do I need to add another video card?

I had heard rumor that resolutions are a trade-off: if your card is split between two monitors, then the resolution splits, true?

If I can run both at the highest res, then I'll pull the trigger and get the extra monitor. I'm assuming there's someone here who has done the exact same thing?

Thanks in advance!
Bo Eder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Transporteur
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I had heard rumor that resolutions are a trade-off: if your card is split between two monitors, then the resolution splits, true?
False in each and every way.
Transporteur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:31 PM   #3
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

+1

You'll be able to run each monitor in their full native resolutions. You'll love the 23" ACD monitor. Best monitor I ever bought and wish Apple still made them.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs