Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bo Eder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Hi everybody, new guy here. I've been a mac guy since 1990 and for the last five years have settled into a nice PowerMac G5 with the dual 2.0 processors with the 20" Apple Cinema Display.

I did search on this but couldn't find anything specific, but I am considering adding a second 23" Apple Cinema Display to my set-up for a dual monitor workstation.

I have the ATI Radeon 9600 video card with two DVI ports. I have my 20" plugged in to port 1 and it's running at 1680x1050 resolution (the highest). When I add the second monitor, will BOTH monitors be able to run at their highest resolutions? Or do I need to add another video card?

I had heard rumor that resolutions are a trade-off: if your card is split between two monitors, then the resolution splits, true?

If I can run both at the highest res, then I'll pull the trigger and get the extra monitor. I'm assuming there's someone here who has done the exact same thing?

Thanks in advance!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
+1

You'll be able to run each monitor in their full native resolutions. You'll love the 23" ACD monitor. Best monitor I ever bought and wish Apple still made them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.