Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Disclaimer: So this worked for me, I'm not really sure how it worked so I can't promise that it will work for anyone else.

So... I had an iPhone 3G way back when (like late 07 through Nov 09) but due to some personal issues I didn't have one from Nov 09 through Oct 10, when I bought a used iPhone 2G from these forums. When I got the 2G it was already activated and jailbroken so I just put my SIM in and it started working.

Fast-forward to like a week ago, when my 2G freaked out and had to be restored via iTunes. Everything went fine, but when I got to the registration (like I was activating for the first time) I was given the choice for unlimited data! Don't ask me why but I was, and it worked just fine. I'd previously been told at an AT&T store that they wouldn't even activate EDGE data anymore, but I guess iTunes doesn't play by those rules.

So then today when I went to the AT&T near me to buy an iPhone 4 (my upgrade came up today and AT&T online was out of refurbed iPhones), I was given the choice to get unlimited 3G on my new iPhone. Of course I took that option. The guy that I was working with was really cool and even deleted the $18 upgrade fee for me. So I ended up with a new iPhone for $299 + tax, no upgrade fee, and unlimited data. A pretty successful process if you ask me.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Yes, you got the unlimited data cause you activated the 2G iphone with the unlimited data plan. So it carried over and let you keep it when you updated to the iphone 4.

Yeah, I understand that it carried over because I had it on the 2G, but 1. I thought you couldn't even activate EDGE data anymore, and 2. I thought once you didn't have unlimited data, you couldn't get it back.

@dukebound, it wasn't well known to me, or I would have restored and activated the EDGE data for myself a couple months ago

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Yeah, I understand that it carried over because I had it on the 2G, but 1. I thought you couldn't even activate EDGE data anymore, and 2. I thought once you didn't have unlimited data, you couldn't get it back.

@dukebound, it wasn't well known to me, or I would have restored and activated the EDGE data for myself a couple months ago

well now ya know. There is speculation of ATT closing that loophole but I believe they offer it as a result of the terms associated with the 2g iphone so I would hold onto it

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
MD
well now ya know. There is speculation of ATT closing that loophole but I believe they offer it as a result of the terms associated with the 2g iphone so I would hold onto it

By 'it' do you mean the 2G phone or the unlimited data?

Because I'm definitely keeping the unlimited data, $5 more versus the 2GB plan is definitely worth the piece of mind that I'll never have to pay ridiculous overage charges. But I was planning on selling the 2G phone, I just don't really have a need for it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

What they told you is wrong, offcourse you can activate edge data meaning use an iphone data plan to an old iphone 2G.
You are right once you didnt have unlimited you lost it but you got unlimited with the iphone 2G and that grandfathered/passed down to the iphone 4.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
By 'it' do you mean the 2G phone or the unlimited data?

Because I'm definitely keeping the unlimited data, $5 more versus the 2GB plan is definitely worth the piece of mind that I'll never have to pay ridiculous overage charges. But I was planning on selling the 2G phone, I just don't really have a need for it.

it being the 2g phone. I would personally for that ability down the road

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
MD
it being the 2g phone. I would personally for that ability down the road

I'd imagine they'll close that loophole pretty soon anyway, what with the bandwidth problems they're having already with people overusing data. Plus, now that I have unlimited data again I'm certainly not going to get rid of it, so hopefully I'll never even need the loophole again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.