Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

003502-mzl.kolxvjyx.320x480-75.jpg

Skype unleashed version 3.0 of the Skype App for iOS this evening. The new version brings the long awaited video conferencing for iPhone and iPod Touch.
- Make Skype to Skype video calls on WiFi and 3G*
- Call Skype desktop users (Mac OS X or Windows) and other iPhone users.
- Two-way video calls supported on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 4th gen.
- Receive only video supported on iPad and iPod touch 3rd gen, with no camera.
- Make video calls in portrait and landscape.
- Skype video calling requires iOS 4.0 or above.
The new video conferencing feature works between capable iOS devices as well as desktop machines. Skype is a free download on the App Store. [App Store]

Article Link: Skype Video Calling for iOS over Wi-Fi and 3G

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
This would have been more useful (for me and my family) a few months ago, but because of Christmas, a large majority of my family and extended family members now own some version of FaceTime (iMac, MacBook, iPod touch or iPhone 4), so for us FaceTime is more convenient to use.

But I guess better late than never.

abz786

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2007
Alberta, Canada
this is going to blow facetime and everything apple had on video chat right out of the water unless they pull something out of their a*& after CES! :eek:

ivan2002

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
This would have been more useful (for me and my family) a few months ago, but because of Christmas, a large majority of my family and extended family members now own some version of FaceTime (iMac, MacBook, iPod touch or iPhone 4), so for us FaceTime is more convenient to use.

But I guess better late than never.

Isn't FaceTime WiFi only?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Oh sure leave us iPad folks hanging for the iPad optimized version.
What does it matter? The iPad does not have a camera. Audio-only is sufficient. Skype can worry about iPad video conferencing when Apple releases an iPad with a built-in camera.

Until then, it's a wasted engineering effort.

And yeah, I'm an iPad owner, too. I simply don't understand your sense of entitlement.

MacGeek1993

macrumors member
May 25, 2010
Flaws

Bug:
Tried using it with a friend and when I answered, his end still said it was placing a call on his computer. Hangs on "Initiating video" till you end the call.

And it lacks one feature... IT WON'T OUTPUT SOUND TO BLUETOOTH HEADSETS ON THE IPOD TOUCH!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Battery life problems resolved yet?

How’s the battery life when not in use?

Can you remain “online” with the app completely dormant, receiving calls via Push notification (the way iOS apps are supposed to work and the way most IM apps do)?

Or does the app keep chewing CPU and battery even while in the background, unless you log off so you can’t get incoming calls? That seemed to be the case with recent versions of Skype: by many reports it wasn’t using proper iOS multitasking, and battery life was impacted even when not using Skype. I tried it for a day or two and seemed to have the same problem. Rather than keep testing, I ditched Skype for many months while awaiting a new version.

I have high hopes, but with Skype’s iOS history, I don’t want to be the guinea pig :)

DARKJ3DI

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Dunedin, New Zealand
Hmm i found a bug. I called a person running Skype on Mac. I could see them but they could not see me even though it said it was working fine. Tried it again and it now works.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
My experience has been that 3G service is slow compared to high speed wifi/ internet. I expect the experience of a video call over 3G would be similar to using a dial up modem.

I chose the 15GB data plan but I think I will drop down to 200MB. Besides checking email once in a while, I just wait to find wifi before attempting anything over the internet. So the 15GB will likely be too much for my needs.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
this is awesome, many more people have skype then facetime (devices)....

I haven't even used skype ever before, but hey...may dabble a little with it soon :eek:

j-traxx

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2005
California
What does it matter? The iPad does not have a camera. Audio-only is sufficient. Skype can worry about iPad video conferencing when Apple releases an iPad with a built-in camera.

Until then, it's a wasted engineering effort.

And yeah, I'm an iPad owner, too. I simply don't understand your sense of entitlement.

epic as he is wise.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; es-es) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is huge, huge!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.