Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:31 AM   #1
mattmikewitt
macrumors newbie

Vizio Apps vs. Apple TV

If one were to have internet apps on your tv such as Vizio Apps, would one still need Apple TV? What can Apple TV do that internet apps preinstalled on TV cannot?

I'm shopping for televisions and am thinking if I were to get apps on the TV would that be the same as having Apple TV? Apple TV seems like it would be the cheaper alternative.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:51 AM   #2
jzuena
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmikewitt View Post
If one were to have internet apps on your tv such as Vizio Apps, would one still need Apple TV? What can Apple TV do that internet apps preinstalled on TV cannot?

I'm shopping for televisions and am thinking if I were to get apps on the TV would that be the same as having Apple TV? Apple TV seems like it would be the cheaper alternative.
It looks like Vizio apps has many of the same services like Netflix available. It will not be able to play iTunes movies, if you expect to use those. It comes down to weighing the convenience of having everything built-in to your TV vs. potentially higher cost and lack of iTunes compatibility.

Off topic, but I recently got a Vizio TV (without the apps) for my bedroom and its display is fantastic. Have one of the older AppleTVs hooked up to it.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:51 PM   #3
mattmikewitt
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzuena View Post
It looks like Vizio apps has many of the same services like Netflix available. It will not be able to play iTunes movies, if you expect to use those. It comes down to weighing the convenience of having everything built-in to your TV vs. potentially higher cost and lack of iTunes compatibility.

Off topic, but I recently got a Vizio TV (without the apps) for my bedroom and its display is fantastic. Have one of the older AppleTVs hooked up to it.
Thanks for the help. A Vizio with the Vizio Apps is around $200 more.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 07:55 PM   #4
MacinLurk
macrumors newbie

What I miss on my Vizio Apps

First, I want to say that Netflix streams very nicely on my 47" Vizio w/ Internet apps, but Closed-captions for hearing impaired (or for those difficult cockney accents!) don't stream with the movies.
What I miss most are 1. Youtube, and 2. Picasaweb. I believe that you can get both of those on AppleTV. On the other hand, I believe that Pandora is not available with AppleTV. SO... pick your poison, or pleasure.
I am wondering if I will be able be able to hook up an AppleTV to the Vizio TV with Internet apps, and get the best of both.
MacinLurk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater