Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h0kie99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
VA
I am just starting out in the web develoment biz, so bear with me. A client of ours has several links to other sites on his site... he wants his header to remain at the top when the user clicks on one of the links, so that the client's name is constantly visible. However, the links to these other sites are going to require passwords, etc. once the user gets to the main page. So is it possible for our client's header to remain in the top frame the entire time?? If anyone has any thoughts or advice, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!!

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
That would be called a frame, with the target="_whateverbottomframe" opening in the bottom frame. People will get angry when they can't get out of his site.

Just my 2 cents. You can always open it up into a new window.

h0kie99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
VA
ChicoWeb,

Again, I totally agree with you. I'm sure it sounds like I'm making these really really sh*tty deals, doesn't it?!? You have to understand that I just started working for this small company, and these are sites I'm "taking over" from my boss... he closed the deal on this one, too, where he keeps the frame at the top. I told my boss this was awful and that I hate it. But that's what the client wants. If I was in the meeting I would've put in my two cents.

The other two sites I'm working on are totally up to my own creativity and that is so much more fun, isn't it? When the client is just like "here's my idea, run with it"... love that.

Thanks.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Yep, frames would be the way to go. (Welcome to the web design business, where people hire you for your creativity and expertise and then insist you do things their way!)
Do you know how to set up a page as a frameset?

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
h0kie99 said:
ChicoWeb,

Again, I totally agree with you. I'm sure it sounds like I'm making these really really sh*tty deals, doesn't it?!? You have to understand that I just started working for this small company, and these are sites I'm "taking over" from my boss... he closed the deal on this one, too, where he keeps the frame at the top. I told my boss this was awful and that I hate it. But that's what the client wants. If I was in the meeting I would've put in my two cents.

The other two sites I'm working on are totally up to my own creativity and that is so much more fun, isn't it? When the client is just like "here's my idea, run with it"... love that.

Thanks.

Heh, I know..Every client thinks they are a designer these days.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
Hijacking other people's pages is unethical. Make sure it is totally clear that the content is not part of the header site. Then make sure there's a link to break the frame for people who don't want it (just like you have to make sure there's a way to turn off the music on your other site!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.