Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
All,

This is a question for those who have large iTunes libraries.

My current iTunes library stands at 372GB. While my Mac (2.26GHz mid 2009 13" MBP) has 8GB of RAM, I do experience latency when scrolling through my library. Also, I experience slow load times.

Does anyone else experience these same issues with large iTunes libraries? If so, how did you correct the issue?

Thanks,

Habitus :apple:

gbandy

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
I'm running nearly 1.5 TB through a 13" MBP with only 2 GB ram and I'm definitely dealing with latency/drag. However, when running the same iTunes library thru a mini w/4 Gb ram, I experienced very little latency at all. I always assumed it was primarily a ram issue but if you're running 8 GB, well, you've got me stumped.

gbredneck

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2010
Exactly the same problem here.

Have a 2010 core i7 2.8 with 16gb, and a 400+Gb music library, (the library is located on a Thecus N4200), and there is definitely lag when scrolling through the library.

My only consolation is that it runs a damn sight better on the mac than it ever did when i was running on PC's.

Would be interested to hear if there's a solution.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
I'm running nearly 1.5 TB through a 13" MBP with only 2 GB ram and I'm definitely dealing with latency/drag. However, when running the same iTunes library thru a mini w/4 Gb ram, I experienced very little latency at all. I always assumed it was primarily a ram issue but if you're running 8 GB, well, you've got me stumped.

Are you running your library through an external drive or internal drive? If internal, what drive do you have?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I had a 1.9 TB library but it is because TV shows and movies take up so much. My music is only about 23 GB, Podcasts are about 90 GB, Audiobooks under 10 GB. No problems with scrolling. It is an external drive.

I separated it out recently because I wanted to break up TV shows into separate smaller categories. I created separate accounts on my Mac and from my Apple TV I can see for example see my Cartoon Library, Movie Library, Music Library, Classics, etc, all at the same time. It is perfectly organized. I now have over a dozen separate libraries. My primary library has my music and apps for my iPhone and I can always transfer what I need to my primary library when I want to watch something on the go.

Didn't have to break up the library because of any performance reasons though.

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I also experience the lag. Music accounts for nearly 400gb and another 500gb of video. I always assumed the lag was because of external HDD. I am looking at updating to an iMac when updated with the hope that I can place everything internally.

gbandy

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
Are you running your library through an external drive or internal drive? If internal, what drive do you have?

Using 2 GB WD external. Actually, since my last post, got a 27" iMac... 3.06 processor & 4 GB ram... VERY little lag/latency at all.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Using 2 GB WD external. Actually, since my last post, got a 27" iMac... 3.06 processor & 4 GB ram... VERY little lag/latency at all.

Didn't you mean 2 TB?

1 terabyte (TB) is 1,024GB

oh and what port are you using firewire or usb?

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Have a 2010 core i7 2.8 with 16gb, and a 400+Gb music library, (the library is located on a Thecus N4200), and there is definitely lag when scrolling through the library.

My only consolation is that it runs a damn sight better on the mac than it ever did when i was running on PC's.

Would be interested to hear if there's a solution.

Is there a reason --other than insufficient internal hard drive space-- why you are using a external drive to store and play your music?

Thanks!

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
I notice that everyone is talking in terms of number of GB. Isn't the number of items more relevant.

For example, I'd have thought a 200gb music library would be more Ram hungry in iTunes than a 2TB movie library. Or are we not talking about navigating around the library.

For the record, my iTunes is fairly snappy, both on my MacBook (music and music videos only on an external HDD) and on my iMac (Music and video spread over two external and the internal drive).

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
In my experience this is the case. The number entries in the database seems to impact usability more than the size of the files to which those entries point. This and how the drive containing the media is attached seem to be the two biggest factors in my use.

I notice that everyone is talking in terms of number of GB. Isn't the number of items more relevant.

For example, I'd have thought a 200gb music library would be more Ram hungry in iTunes than a 2TB movie library. Or are we not talking about navigating around the library.

For the record, my iTunes is fairly snappy, both on my MacBook (music and music videos only on an external HDD) and on my iMac (Music and video spread over two external and the internal drive).

williedigital

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2005
Exactly correct per number of entries. My library includes about 4 TB of movies, but adding those 4k entries to the database produces almost no lag. My 1TB of music on the other hand and the tens of thousands of database entries...

I think that the ultimate source of the lag is the size of the itunes library file.

As iTunes is essentially rewriting the database file whenever you do something like rename a song, you literally are waiting for the program to write the 70MB+ database file before you can begin scrolling through it again. I've found that moving from mechanical hard drive to SSD greatly improved my performance due to the faster file read/write speeds. Likewise, in some instances, I've found my CPU maxing at 100% as iTunes processing the library file. The program is not multiple cpu aware, so oddly a 3.0 ghz dual core cpu is faster working with iTunes than an octo-core 2.4 ghz machine.

It seems to me like somehow "segmenting" the database file is the ultimate solution to this problem, or just waiting for tech to allow insanely fast ssds and cpus (or properly multicore aware).

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What I can't understand is why Coverflow can be so smooth in Finder, but in iTunes it's so bleh. Surely the Coverflow used in Finder could be used in iTunes as well.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I used to get some lag on my Core Duo but on my Core 2 Duo iMac it's perfect.

I am running from the internal hard drive though, and my library isn't quite as big as some people's in this thread (14k songs over 65GB).

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
650 GB library (about 17500 items) on an external WD My Book Studio (2 TB) connected via Firewire 800. Takes a couple seconds for the drive to spin up when I start iTunes, but once it's going it scrolls with no lag.

I'm on an iMac i5 with 4GB RAM.

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Damn you people are lucky.
I gave up on getting new music as my 867 G4 from 2001 can't handle more then the 17900 music files I have on a Firewire 400 drive.
However I finally have the $$ to get a new computer after 10 years!
Why so late? (Many medical issues). My PC in my sig is a hand me down.
(No I don't trust XP to store my Music) it would be a major pain to redo everything if I lost it to a virus)
Where is that iMac update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.