Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Jan 1, 2011, 12:57 AM   #1
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Question about newspaper and magazine apps

Hi. I wonder if there are any iPad users who have some sort of a subscription to a newspaper or magazine service like NYT or Time. Do these apps require you to have an Internet connection in order to read their material, or can you download stuff in advance and read on the go? Thanks in advance!
kylera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 09:30 AM   #2
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
Hi. I wonder if there are any iPad users who have some sort of a subscription to a newspaper or magazine service like NYT or Time. Do these apps require you to have an Internet connection in order to read their material, or can you download stuff in advance and read on the go? Thanks in advance!
Most newspaper and magazine apps are designed for online reading of content. The New York Times is certainly in the group that requires an Internet connection. If you want to read content offline, then you should go through Zinio.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 12:03 PM   #3
KevinM2
macrumors 6502

I use PressReader App and subscribe and download newspapers daily.

You do not need and internet connection to read newspapers that you have already downloaded to it.
KevinM2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Davydd
macrumors regular

With the NYTimes app you need an internet connection to update but then you can read offline. You need to open each section to update but you don't have to open each article. But unless you open each article you will not get the accompanying pictures. USAToday works the same. When traveling I will stop at a McDonalds in the morning and update my news apps and then read in the car traveling down the highway when my wife is driving. It takes about 5 minutes to update the two. Many of the news apps are similar.

I also subscribe to the Minneapolis Star Tribune newspaper. That app is a facsimile of the actual printed newspaper so has to be downloaded while connected to the internet. Once downloaded it is readable at any time.
Davydd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps