Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
How easy or difficult is it for you guys to spend money on apps?
I see all neat apps and I think oh I want that one... and that one...
But then I see $.99 and I think I"ll pass.

$.99... that's nothing... I know that.
Heck I'll go to gas station and buy a big gulp for $1.29 no problem only to p!ss it out bout an hour later. But I have the hardest time paying for an app.

I think I know why too... Once I start I won't be able to stop, LOL.

anyone else have a hard time spending on apps or am i the only cheapskate?

This is not about JBing my iPad for free apps, this thread is nothing about that
so please don't steer my thread in that direction.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
There was a funny comic strip about this. It's human nature to see software at a price and say "uhhh I'll pass."
If I feel the app well deserves the money - I will pay for it. However, in order for me to do that I need to download a lite or free version first which gives a decent idea on how well the app is designed.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Well so far I have no problem buying apps. I just received my iPad for Christmas. Started with $40 in iTunes gift cards. I added all of that to my iTunes account, down to $5 now.

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
IMO, if you don't buy any apps, you're missing out on some of the best iPad experiences. Sure, there might be a free but lesser app, or no alternative, but for the $0.99, why miss out on it?

Of course, I am also the type to pay for applications for OS X as well.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Thanks all for the replies.

My thing is how I justify not buying an app.

Lots of recipe apps out there but why pay for it when I can either google the recipe or just eat something else instead, LOL.

I do agree with you Emm... I'm missing out by holding out and using my iPad to the minimum. I need to see what this bad boy can do.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Thanks all for the replies.

My thing is how I justify not buying an app.

Lots of recipe apps out there but why pay for it when I can either google the recipe or just eat something else instead, LOL.

I do agree with you Emm... I'm missing out by holding out and using my iPad to the minimum. I need to see what this bad boy can do.

If I couldn't use apps, I wouldn't have any need for an iPad. Apps rock, get out your wallet and pay up.

87vert

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I find when I have a credit in my iTunes account I will buy all sorts of apps that I wouldn't if I did not. That being said I have no problem buying an app for $10-$15 if it is that good (X-Plane)

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
The only time I think twice about buying an app is when it costs more than $9.99. Now, granted, I'll check for a lite version first, but I have no problem spending $1 here and there on something that looks interesting. I spend much more everyday on coffee.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I only buy the apps that I know I need / really want. Sure there are a ton out there that I look at and say, "Ohhh, I want that." But I always look to see if there is a free version first. Why? Because for every 10 apps, it seems like 7 of them turn out to be total crap; and 2 of them do what they say but end up not being as useful as I think they should be. So I end up with 1 $10 app and 9 $0 apps (in terms of worth). It isn't a big deal but unfortunately, too many pay apps are still crap (for free I understand but not when paying for it).

Imaging if that big gulp ended up being only water 7 out of 10 times you purchased it; would you still be buying it to only get that 1/10th satisfaction?

I always read reviews and make sure it is what I want first. Even so, I still have regretted about 1/2 the purchases I have made. :(

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
I agree. Some of the best apps are non-free.

I would go further. Almost all of the best (which to me means: most useful) apps are non-free.

As others have said, if you don't get your wallet out you are seriously missing out on what the iPad can do!

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
The only time I think twice about buying an app is when it costs more than $9.99. Now, granted, I'll check for a lite version first, but I have no problem spending $1 here and there on something that looks interesting. I spend much more everyday on coffee.

I agree to a point. I added mine up a while back just for the heck of it and it turns out I have spent about 200 on Cydia tweeks and appstore apps (60/120)

381 iphone/ipad apps (only about half are still on my phone, I need to clean up my itunes) and about 40 or so tweaks.

That was over a few years and I still use about 1/2 of them often

Its not that bad but a bit of a shock when you add it up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.